pearly163

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If God has already made His mind up about issues what then is the point of prayer?

I've been thinking about this since you posted it...... and it came to me today when I asked myself again why do you pray..... Well, it's because Jesus is not just my savior, he's my friend...... and his father is my father and the both of them are special...... and I really do like to talk with them....... just for the pure enjoyment of it.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Hunterpoet, is this what you had in mind?

Matt 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

yep thats the verse. Thank you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Well I been thinking about your question (Why Pray), and figured to give my two cents. We all have families and as a father of children that grown up and moved out of the nest, I miss having conversations with them and when we do have those special moments we get to spend together, I cherish those moments. This past fall, my two sons and I went to hunt in NY. My oldest son shot a buck and radioed me to come to his spot and sit with him. I didn't care if I seen a deer or not, those few hours we spent sitting on a log talking were worth more to me than any deer.

We are members of a bigger family, God is our father and he loves us so much that he gave us his son to save us from an eternity of misery. I'm sure God loves it when we have conversation (pray) with him to praise him and to thank him for his grace. Yes we as Christians are a big family, but God has enough love to go around and then some, just thinking about that alone humbles me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,393
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I have been battling with the subject of prayer for a long time.

When I pray (and I know there have to be certain conditions such as faith etc) and I do not get the answer that I had hoped for people say to me, "It obviously wasn't God's will ".

If God has already made His mind up about issues what then is the point of prayer?

Prayer is like testing to see if you have began to think like Christ in matters of importance... For if we ask according to His revealed purpose in the boundaries of His Name (as to His asking if standing where your standing)The Father will answer our prayers as prayed. It is one of the most intimate times for you as you work with God in them to bring about His Pleasure of purpose... The Father love our hearts when they are folded out to His pleasure as our greatest desire. Love Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I do not disagree with the others who have responded here. There is a verse concerning the proper way to offer a tithe, I cannot think of the specific verse, but believe I remember it teaching you cannot expect your tithe to be accepted if you harbor grief against someone.

I cannot think of any verse that speaks to it, but I wonder what role our own state of righteousness plays in answered pray.

Is this it?

Matthew 5:23-25 (New King James Version)

23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Why Pray? Ever try to have a relationship with anyone without communication? There is no relationship without communication.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

When I pray (and I know there have to be certain conditions such as faith etc) and I do not get the answer that I had hoped for people say to me, "It obviously wasn't God's will ".

I know what you mean.

Sometimes the Heavens can seem as brass, and it feels as if G-d has taken a vacation.

As in everything, connecting properly is important.

The Bible teaches a combination of faith and persistence.

G-d lays down the ground-rules, but anything worth anything has to be worked at, and to some extent discovered individually for ourselves, I especially believe this is true with prayer/seeking the L-rd...it is based on a life-times relationship and personal experience, that is honest enough to realise when nothing seems to be happening, and yet pushes beyond the doubt and uncertainty and breaks through the clouds to see the Glory.

(Scriptures supplied if you can't discover them for yourself :wub: )

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If you think about the relationship between a parent and a child, when a child asks a parent for something the parent may answer with yes or no or wait.

Why?

Then consider the same for when we ask the Lord for something.

Why pray?

Going back to the parent and child analogy, what if the child never asked the parent for anything? How many "yes" answers would the child have not received had the child not asked?

Why pray?

Also consider that there is more to prayer than asking God for things.

Why pray?

Would faith be developed without struggling with the "no" and "wait" answers?

Why pray?

Because we are in a spiritual battle. (Reference Eph. 6).

Guest shiloh357

First of all, it is important to understand that it depends on a number of factors. It depends on what you were asking for, and/or your motives for asking.

Also keep in mind that God sees the big picture. What we want might not be in our best interests in the long run. Sometimes, God blesses not by what He gives us but by what He doesn't give us.

In addition, don't mistake a delay in answered prayer for "NO." God answers prayer requests in three basic ways: Yes, No, and Wait.

I don't know your situation, but there is no single "silver bullet" answer to your question without knowing more specifics (if it is appropriate to share).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

One thing I've noticed about prayer is it can change me. Sometimes as I pray, I find my attitude in what I'm praying about gets changed, to bring me in line with the way God would want me to be.

If that makes sense?