• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I am someone who trusts people, especially my staff. I take them at face value until proved otherwise.

Recent events at work, with very serious implications for them (dismissal if found to be guilty), and serious implications for me in that the whole policy over contract awards and checks will have to be revamped, and my already very busy job (12.40 am and 11 pm are the times I stopped working on business plans on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and on Thursday up at 5 am, drove to a meeting and got back at almost 7pm after 450 km driving), is just made harder, in that I have to double check their work in the field (which can involve a whole days walking in thick bush full of hairy things like Buffalo). This is time I do not have.

I trusted these people to do their work, and I have, as their boss, a good working relationship with them (I use Christian principles to manage).

They took this trust and threw it back in my face.

What now? Do I stop trusting people and become as cold and as hard as those who are my seniors?

Or do I carry on trusting people and wait for the next major disappointment? I am very, very hurt by the circumstances, which involve fraud, laziness, and a general disregard for work that can jeopardize millions in funding. Funding that I manage for poverty relief work and which supports upwards of 20,000 people.

I have to double check their work in the field (which can involve a whole days walking in thick bush full of hairy things like Buffalo). This is time I do not have.

What you need are people that you can truly trust. People who can make these checks for you. You may have to pay them more but if they get the job done, it'll be worth it in the end.

You may have to let some people go. You need to lay down the law and show these people that you're serious. You don't have to be a barbarian to get these people to do their jobs, but if they see that there's consequenses for their lack of trying, they will notice. And if they don't, let'em go.

If you're the boss, you treat each and every one of your employees the same.......no favorites. They will respect you for that.

Just a thought.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know if there is a way to implement a checks and balances system or not.

But I ask the Father for you to be granted His wisdom and insight into the situation and how to work through it. In Jesus' name.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Brickbat! :whistling:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Fez, there is a reason why your seniors are cold and untrusting. Laziness I can deal with but the fraud would have to be replaced. That's the way we ran our company for my entire 40 year career. Outright fraud got you fired with no repeal and no mercy. Lazy people we mentally beat daily, and worked to get them transferred off our teams.

You have to question the people under you..... it's the job of a manager.

What our company did was to train all it's people in the Deming Quality Management Decision Making and then made the team members responisble for thier own work....... if they failed we found others to replace them.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I am probably not a good person to answer this as my default is to trust everyone! I haven't decided if this is a bit Pollyanna or just plain naivety.

There are people who will take advantage of being trusted and will generally be disappointing. It isn't just their behaviour that is disappointing though - it is feeling like you lack good judgement of character.

I stick with trusting everyone until they give me a reason not to and then forgiving them and starting all over again!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Fez, I'd like to ask a question. What kind of fraud are you speaking of? Is it something that a little digital camera could solve, as in taking a picture of the before and after a job is completed that can be added to your files? There are many different kinds of fraud.

As for laziness, just ask them how they like getting a paycheck. Reinforce that their employment is decided on the quality of work they do, not because they just show up every day (thou this is a good thing) ... refocus their thinking of a secured position in your company.

As a manager, you have to trust those you hire or your job becomes overwhelming. If theer is no trust, as man stated, find someone you do trust. If training is required instead of replacement, the few hours training will free up many hours in the future.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Brickbat! :whistling:

Sometimes it's so tempting :cool:

As the bishop of Jerusalem said when Saladin's hoards surrounded the city, "Convert to Islam, repent later" :whistling:

Seriously though, these are people who for the last 8 years or so i have had no reason not to trust. One of them has produced excellent work consistently.

The times are achanging, are they not?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Fez, I pray the Lord will give you wisdom to handle whats going on...

Is there anyone who has work to show themselves approved that can help oversee some of the tasks?

A small promotion?

As for the fraud, it should be dealt with..ONLY.. if it can be proven. This will ensure that the people who issues the funds know that you and your department is doing everything possible to keep things in order.

I too work at a job where laziness can be found. Its a disease that can just cause heartbreak to faithful workers. The faithful are the ones that basely hide the trouble, by going above whats asked of them. If I didn't have a servant heart I probably would become discouraged to the point of becoming one of them or just quit. I want you to know there are some faithful people in your mist that probably being carrying a load just to keep things afloat.

I feel that the lazy ones should have a talking to follower by a write up..letting them know that their jobs will end if they don't step up to the plate. And you MUST enforce follower ups, because lazy people tend to fall back into old ways.

Praying..