• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Yes, there are groups that even believe if you don't pray in tongues you can't be saved because you don't have the Spirit of God. I have yet to get one to show me the scripture to back that up.

Tongues is like anything else God has promised. If you value it enough, and it's important enough, then you will seek it. If you seek it, you will find it.

Jesus Is Lord.

Exactly

It is sad that someone would believe that another isn't saved because they don't speak in tongues!(know that happens though) The Holy Spirit comes into every person that accepts Jesus, whether tongues is spoken by them or not. It is also sad that some deny it's validity to the point of calling others demonic for doing it. Help us Father!

Oh. I sought it alright! In my early walk, when I was more naive of God's ways, I cried & pleaded with Him for it--lol. Finally,, when I quit trying so hard, we were standing in praise & I realized that I was singing in tongues. Was just flowing out, and has been ever since.I just had to "get out of the way". Thank you Lord!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

No, God has not gifted me with the gift of tongues.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes, there are groups that even believe if you don't pray in tongues you can't be saved because you don't have the Spirit of God. I have yet to get one to show me the scripture to back that up.

Tongues is like anything else God has promised. If you value it enough, and it's important enough, then you will seek it. If you seek it, you will find it.

Jesus Is Lord.

Exactly

It is sad that someone would believe that another isn't saved because they don't speak in tongues!(know that happens though) The Holy Spirit comes into every person that accepts Jesus, whether tongues is spoken by them or not. It is also sad that some deny it's validity to the point of calling others demonic for doing it. Help us Father!

Oh. I sought it alright! In my early walk, when I was more naive of God's ways, I cried & pleaded with Him for it--lol. Finally,, when I quit trying so hard, we were standing in praise & I realized that I was singing in tongues. Was just flowing out, and has been ever since.I just had to "get out of the way". Thank you Lord!

Loved ones! There are those of us, because what is being said is unknown and all that remains is emotion or feelings that encourage toward God,

that we remain silent as to whether it is or is not from God... we simply cannot verify through His Word as the communication is unknown! It is good that

it encourages to deepen in relationship to God.... but then the if it is better this way in public use-> why are we seeing it so much the other way?

1 Co 14:18-19

18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church

I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others

also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

NKJV

I know there are many who practice it here and I have also worshiped with you in your

sharing of hearts in His Word... thus I am held in a suspended examination of the outcome

of speaking in tongues as I am fulfilled in my own privacy with The Lord without their use

yet so with your witness of the satisfaction in them... :) I can testify of this The Lord has

put Love in my heart for many of you that I have never met and I am encouraged by Him to

lift you in my prayers in beautiful ways before Him... Love, Steven

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Lol sure. Weren't you going to post something else? ;)

yeah yeah..the verses...I thought maybe with everyone else filling in the blanks that you would not require a pound of flesh ;)

I'll get back to you on this...not stalling...I am just spending more time here than I should...I work on the computer alot, photography

so I edit, run blog, website and a buncha more stuff...so it is tooo easy for me to divert myself back to this site

But I won't forget :)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Jesus Is Lord.

Exactly

I don't particularly agree. I thought God's answers were:

A) Yes

B) No

C) Wait

So if ask the Lord for the gift of tongues my whole life and never receive it do I lack faith? Or does God only give this gift to certain people who are "special"?

Personally, I have no need to praise God in tongues. I praise Him with words and give thanks as that bring honor to His name. This is Biblical. (See Psalm 34:3, Psalm 105:1, Psalm 136:1, Psalm 148:13)

Many people are drawn to the Charismatic/Pentecostal movement due to the care and love shown among its members. The services are very emotional and give the participant a sense of belonging and an enjoyable feeling. Many close their eyes, waving their hands in the air in a state of meditation. It is plain that the members of these churches are enjoying their experience.

In the three times the New Testament records that tongues occurred, each time the exact thing happened. There was a sound as of a rushing mighty wind that filled the house where the people were gathered. Further there appeared visible cloven tongues as of fire and it set on them. (Acts 2:2-3, 10:44-48, 19:1-7) Those present were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke an unlearned language to people present and in their native tongues.

Plainly, in the three accounts where Biblical tongues are recorded in the New Testament, these supernatural phenomena always accompanied biblical tongues. However, they are not present today when modern tongues is practiced. Therefore what is happening today does not conform to the biblical example and it must be concluded are not biblical tongues. There is no example in the New Testament of the use of tongues for any other purpose than to preach the Gospel and proclaim that Jesus was the Christ, the Redeemer. The biblical gift of tongues in the New Testament was never sought or prayed for by the individual, but was given at the discretion of the Holy Spirit.

God did not give the gift of tongues to anyone in the New Testament for their personal edification, to uplift them spiritually. It was not given as a special prayer language and Paul rebukes this in 1 Corinthians 14:14.

"So that tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe, but to unbelievers; but prophecy, not to unbelievers, but to those who believe."

So, if modern tongues does not follow the New Testament example, what is really happening? Some would say it is the work of Satan to deceive and mislead. However, many tongues speakers are sincere and devout Christians who love the Lord.

Often tongues speakers have explained that they know their experience came from God and refuse to compare it with the New Testament. No matter how intensely someone feels about their experience, and claiming that it came from God, it must be verifiable and authenticated by the Scriptures. It is not enough simply to accept a modern concept or definition of tongues or what is popularly thought to be tongues. Tongues, to be biblical, must confront to the biblical example.

God's word is the only standard.

This means that every modern tongues speaker must ask the question, "Is what I am doing and believing to be the sign gift of tongues, really what the Bible teaches is the gift from God?"

The Bible will authenticate the experience as Biblical or expose it as UnBiblical and not of God.

Let us be very clear about this, God gave the sign gifts, one of which was the ability to speak the Gospel in an unlearned language, NOT to benefit believers, BUT to benefit UNBELIEVERS. If the modern tongues speaker is going to follow God's word, then he or she must conclude that praying in tongues was not what God intended it to be. Nor should they accept that tongues was a sign gift to believers that they had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. No gift was to be used for one's personal edification, but to be used to enlighten others. In 1 Corinthians 12:8f the passages shows each of the spiritual gifts given were to benefit others.

2 Peter 1:20

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

I’m sure others will disagree. But I believe as stated before that having a personal prayer language is errant theology Biblically.

In Christ,

Eagle

Edited by GoldenEagle

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Once, only once did I pray in tongues and it was amazing.

I was lying on a bed, in an uncomfortable small room, with a tin roof, on a blazing hot night. I had been working in the field all day and I was very tired. I had showered, but it was sooo hot the sweat was pouring off me. I had nothing to read, no TV, just a bare room (in a small place we used for over night stops when working in the game reserve).

I started to pray out loud. I don't know how long this went on, but it turned into straight worship, not the usual "conversations' I often have with Jesus. And all of a sudden I started speaking in tongues. It seemed like non stop, no breaks between sound, just an outflow, almost like a river pouring from me. No breath that I can remember, just a "stream" of sound.

I was not looking at my watch, but I guess about 40 minutes or so...

It was incredible, and has never happened again, not even one word.

I still think it was the highest worship I have ever vocalized for my God. And I think He did it, to show me what true worship truly is.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

Jesus Is Lord.

Exactly

I don't particularly agree. I thought God's answers were:

A) Yes

B) No

C) Wait

So if ask the Lord for the gift of tongues my whole life and never receive it do I lack faith? Or does God only give this give to certain people who are "special"?

Personally, I have no need to praise God in tongues. I praise Him with words and give thanks as that bring honor to His name. This is Biblical. (See Psalm 34:3, Psalm 105:1, Psalm 136:1, Psalm 148:13)

Many people are drawn to the Charismatic/Pentecostal movement due to the care and love shown among its members. The services are very emotional and give the participant a sense of belonging and an enjoyable feeling. Many close their eyes, waving their hands in the air in a state of meditation. It is plain that the members of these churches are enjoying their experience.

In the three times the New Testament records that tongues occurred, each time the exact thing happened. There was a sound as of a rushing mighty wind that filled the house where the people were gathered. Further there appeared visible cloven tongues as of fire and it set on them. (Acts 2:2-3, 10:44-48, 19:1-7) Those present were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke an unlearned language to people present and in their native tongues.

Plainly, in the three accounts where Biblical tongues are recorded in the New Testament, these supernatural phenomena always accompanied biblical tongues. However, they are not present today when modern tongues is practiced. Therefore what is happening today does not conform to the biblical example and it must be concluded are not biblical tongues. There is no example in the New Testament of the use of tongues for any other purpose than to preach the Gospel and proclaim that Jesus was the Christ, the Redeemer. The biblical gift of tongues in the New Testament was never sought or prayed for by the individual, but was given at the discretion of the Holy Spirit.

God did not give the gift of tongues to anyone in the New Testament for their personal edification, to uplift them spiritually. It was not given as a special prayer language and Paul rebukes this in 1 Corinthians 14:14.

"So that tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe, but to unbelievers; but prophecy, not to unbelievers, but to those who believe."

So, if modern tongues does not follow the New Testament example, what is really happening? Some would say it is the work of Satan to deceive and mislead. Many tongues speakers are sincere and devout Christians who love the Lord.

Often tongues speakers have explained that they know their experience came from God and refuse to compare it with the New Testament. No matter how intensely someone feels about their experience, and claiming that it came from God, it must be verifiable and authenticated by the Scriptures. It is not enough simply to accept a modern concept or definition of tongues or what is popularly thought to be tongues. Tongues, to be biblical, must confront to the biblical example.

God's word is the only standard.

This means that every modern tongues speaker must ask the question, "Is what I am doing and believing to be the sign gift of tongues, really what the Bible teaches is the gift from God?"

The Bible will authenticate the experience as biblical or expose it as unbiblical and not of God.

Let us be very clear about this, God gave the sign gifts, one of which was the ability to speak the Gospel in an unlearned language, NOT to believers, BUT to UNBELIEVERS. If the modern tongues speaker is going to follow God's word, then he or she must conclude that praying in tongues was not what God intended it to be. Nor should they accept that tongues was a sign gift to believers that they had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. No gift was to be used for one's personal edification, but to be used to enlighten others. In 1 Corinthians 12:8f the passages shows each of the spiritual gifts given were to benefit others.

2 Peter 1:20

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

I’m sure others will disagree. But I believe as stated before that having a personal prayer language is errant theology Biblically.

In Christ,

Eagle

As I said... God gives His gifts . He is the only one that can do that ...it is His language, done by the Holy Spirit.

If you really would like this gift... pray about it.

God is God, He can do anything .

All I know is , when I do speak in tongues the Holy Spirit is using my vocal cords to do so.

Prasing Him, or praying to Him in english ...I do, do...each time I go in prayer.

Speaking in tongues is a gift... by the action of Holy Spirit . It is not of my doing.

In my prayer time, when I am praying in english, it is me...when speaking in tongues is there, praying... it is the Holy Spirit of God praying.

I really cannot explain any further ...I have tried to explain as much as possible. Just pray about this to God.

Not only the pentecostals that speak in tongues ...it is not only a certain church . It is a gift from God .

Think about this one...

You are praying in english

The Holy spirit prays in His language

Wow ! Double prayers... for what you are praying about.

Don't worry about what your friends think about you.

God Loves all of His children.

He gives good gifts... in the physical realm and in the spiritual realm.

A born again christian is no longer in the natural realm....they are of the spiritual realm ...in Gods' kingdom...yes, here on earth. :)

You are a child of God .

Gods' property.

God can do whatever He wants with you.

Your body is the Temple where He also dwells.

yes, speaking in tongues is of God...He makes it happen .

God Bless you

Yes, about 'praying' in tongues and whether or not the Bible addresses that...specifically

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. I Cor. 14:14...the entire passage should prob be

​read (I know u are familiar with it from previous posts) for context and other remarks regarding tongues (by Paul)

For the record, I've heard enough 'tongues' abuse and even a very scary 'fake' episode on the part of someone

but as we know that does exist let's just focus on what is genuine and scriptural

I didn't grow up in a Pentecostal church. Frankly I think they make too much of it. That is a reflection on denom

practices however and not on the gift itself.

Paul does not devalue the gift nor does he discourage it. He simply defines both proper and improper usage;

Pointing out the problems simply defines the problems. Accepting the gift and using it properly allows the Holy Spirit

to do His part. Refusing to allow this gift to operate is in violation of scripture

Obviously, there are alot of violations and some of those exist because of the WRONG usage of tongues and

undisciplined emotional outbursts that some give expression to

Any manner of gift can and is abused, misused and some, like teaching and prophecy are especially abused

to control. False teaching and prophecy abound in our day.

I do use this gift in private but have never in public. I find that I often receive words in English that appear to

be a translation...not exact rendering...of what I may have prayed in tongues...often it is worship and the

words in Engish will not be phrases I would commonly use

I say the above last para not to 'prove' anything because, of course, that is a highly subjective experience,

but say or write them, only as my own personal experience

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  366
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance ... Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language." - Acts 2:4,6 (King James Bible)

There is clear Scriptural evidence condemning the mumbo-jumbo, nonsense, which Charismatics call “speaking in tongues” today. First, on the Day of Pentecost Peter spoke in Greek, no other language.

The Bible says that the people from other nations HEARD (Acts 2:6-8) in their own native tongue (i.e., language). What they actually experienced that day was HEARING IN TONGUES. Peter never spoke any language other than the Greek he normally spoke. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reconcile the demonic jibber-jabber of Pentecostals today with the miracle of tongues in the Bible. Acts 2:9-11 mentions sixteen different nations which were present on the Day of Pentecost. Acts 2:8 plainly states that each man HEARD the Gospel in his own native tongue in which he was born. How does this compare with the Charismatic speaking in tongues today that makes NO SENSE TO ANYONE.

Furthermore, the Apostles NEVER sought the miracle of tongues, it was always initiated by God. Pentecostals preachers today arrogantly claim to have the ability to access God's power at their will. They do not. Just as Catholic priests sinfully claim to have God's power to forgive sin, so do Pentecostal ministers sinfully claim to have God's power to heal people and work miracles. This is sinful pride and a perversion of the teachings of God's word.