• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

How many times have you heard it said, "God wants me to be happy". Christians say this (and believe this) even when the thing that will make them happy is sin. I've heard this so often I don't even bother arguing the point with anyone anymore. But I've read the Bible cover to cover, and most parts more than once, and I don't see where God ever said, Thou shalt be happy. I really never saw that and I'm quite sure it isn't in there. I'm not saying that God wants us to be miserable, but when it's a question of happiness or Holiness, God wants us to be Holy. Jesus said, "be ye Holy as thou Father is Holy". (I'm not great at quoting the Bible word for word, so forgive me if that's not exactly correct)

At this point in my life I am very sure that God is concerned with us being Holy and not happy. But when I was younger I spent many years wondering about this. I'm fairly sure there are many people here who still wonder. When I was younger, and there was no Internet, I never could have the benefit of discussing this with such a large group of Christians, as is possible now. So that's one reason I ask this question. Another is the new ruling of the Episcopalian church. I'm sure the idea that God considers our happiness of paramount importance weighed heavily in their decision.

I believe God considers our Holiness of paramount importance. If we can be happy while being Holy then that's great, and that's what God wants. God wants us to make Him and His laws the desires of our hearts. When God is the desire of our hearts, then we will find true happiness.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Be ye holy for I am holy, right? Not be ye happy for I am happy? No commandment anywhere to be happy. But! there is a command to be joyful! Rejoice, again I say rejoice! And that in times of trouble.

God Bless all who rejoice always and not just when it feels good.

Gary

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

... But! there is a command to be joyful!

Just what I was thinking!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Why can't we be both holy and happy? If someone is not happy being holy, then it is the flesh that is unhappy. Is your spirit happy following God?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,358
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I can be wholly happy when in obedience To The Spirit through Holy living forms joy unspeakable and full of Glory within... Love, Steven

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/23/1986

Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.

Let your garments be always white. Let not oil be lacking on your head.

Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that he has given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun.

(Ecclesiastes 9:7-9 ESV)

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

We are to find our joy in Him. To be happy in Him. Not to find happiness in the things of this world. We are to be content in our circumstances no matter how pleasant or unpleasant they are.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

I have recently come to that conclusion as well, he wants us to be holy first and follow the Word. That is why I decided not to get remarried. I still have people arguing with me telling me it's ok. Even my very strongly religous grandma told me "God wants you to be happy, a lot of people get remarried in the church." Just cause everyone is doing it doesn't make it right.

I am finding that trying to be holy IS bringing me happiness! She warned me about that too, she said I shouldn't try and be TOO holy. She warned me not to get too deep into christianity! LOL!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Just to remind everyone, this question means which is more important when the thing that will make you happy is something you know is a sin. That's my issue.

I may get flamed for this, but in the last church I joined when halloween came around most of the church members celebrated it just as the world does. One family even had their house decked out in halloween attractions outside and inside. They did for halloween, what I once did for Christmas, when I owned a house. I found that most of the people in that church did what made them feel good, and not what would be in accordance with God. I was even in 1 Bible study group where the group leader told a young woman to do what made her happy, because God wants us to be happy. And yes He does, but only if the things that make us happy are within His will for us.

So this is why I raised this question. In my area I see way too many Christians who believe that they should do whatever makes them happy, irregardless if it's a sin or not. They behave as if they believe that it's not a sin for them, because they need it to be happy. I don't believe this is right. God wants us to make Him and His ways the desire of our hearts. When we do that, He then promises us happiness. But if the thing that is supposed to give you happiness is a sin, then a sin it remains, whether you choose to do it or not. What I have seen in my life, is when I did it anyway, whether I knew it was a sin or not, it never brought me happiness. Only later, when I realized it was a sin, then I understood why it didn't bring me happiness. It was sin. This is how God deals with me.

So just bare in mind this question is about happiness vs. Holiness, only when the thing of happiness is sin.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,358
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Just to remind everyone, this question means which is more important when the thing that will make you happy is something you know is a sin. That's my issue.

I may get flamed for this, but in the last church I joined when halloween came around most of the church members celebrated it just as the world does. One family even had their house decked out in halloween attractions outside and inside. They did for halloween, what I once did for Christmas, when I owned a house. I found that most of the people in that church did what made them feel good, and not what would be in accordance with God. I was even in 1 Bible study group where the group leader told a young woman to do what made her happy, because God wants us to be happy. And yes He does, but only if the things that make us happy are within His will for us.

So this is why I raised this question. In my area I see way too many Christians who believe that they should do whatever makes them happy, irregardless if it's a sin or not. They behave as if they believe that it's not a sin for them, because they need it to be happy. I don't believe this is right. God wants us to make Him and His ways the desire of our hearts. When we do that, He then promises us happiness. But if the thing that is supposed to give you happiness is a sin, then a sin it remains, whether you choose to do it or not. What I have seen in my life, is when I did it anyway, whether I knew it was a sin or not, it never brought me happiness. Only later, when I realized it was a sin, then I understood why it didn't bring me happiness. It was sin. This is how God deals with me.

So just bare in mind this question is about happiness vs. Holiness, only when the thing of happiness is sin.

God's Word will occur just as He in His love for us as friends has said-

Mt 24:9-14

9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

NKJV

and because the family sees this as now through fulfilled prophecy let us understand the pertinence of this

Jn 15:15-17

15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. 17 These things I command you, that you love one another.

NKJV

So as we understand this all to be as said let us love not with expectation from those we perform it upon but with regard to Christ

as obedience that will give Him Pleasure in the end as we consider Him Worthy to receive such! Love, Steven