linehaul

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

The Holy Bible has been translated into just about every known language of man, and there is NO TRANSLATION that serves as a standard. The STANDARD is the originals in Hebrew and Greek. This explains why most serious Bible students still refer back to the Hebrew and Greek. So, the accuracy of any translation in any language is determined by comparing it to the ORIGINALS - not other TRANSLATIONS. I'll just give thanks that English speaking people have many excellent translations of the Holy Bible to choose from.

Not all the hebrew and greek agree with themselves.

MT/TR all the way.

• 7 years later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

12 minutes ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Agreed! and the Spirit filled Christian will (sooner or later)  end up using the KJV to study with. 

This KJV statement could be viewed as pejorative.

The apostles used the Tanakh to teach out of and a good translation will see the various bread-crumbs referencing and repurposing the Tanakh in the new testament. The apostles and Yeshua quote mostly out of the Septuagint (LXX) and occasionally out of the Masoretic texts and some Targums. The Tanakh is 3/4 of our scripture and it well worth remembering this.

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

5 minutes ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

To clarify: I am talking specifically about modern english translations. Indeed there are many additional sources to help us. However,  I did not know much about that Tanakh.

The Tanakh is the basis of the new testament.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

KJV: Faith OF Christ

NIV: Faith IN Christ

( big difference)

We are saved by the Faith of Christ not our faith in Him. Do you see that?

In this instance the Greek is actually ambiguous - it can mean either. Academic theologians make careers out of discussing the pros and cons of each.

You may well have a personal preference for one or the other, but you can't criticise a translation for opting for the alternative.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

aaah, the unending debate that will never be won until Christ returns. You want to know why? because the original greek no longer exists. That is the only way on earth to empirically prove one english translation over another (I always get how people always argue over the english one-well, I never see anyone argue over which spanish bible or chinese bible is the most accurate)

However, we can deduce that some are better then others. We do have a WIDE variety of greek texts to compare to, and by combining them we can deduce that some are more accurate then others. We have some that are complete garbage such as the message-and others, like the NIV that started out on faulty footing (was designed to not offend any of the seperate denominations, and came up with a not great, but not bad translation either a decent one) and has since gone way downhill from there, especially with its gender neutral wording in the latest one.

Arguably, the two most literal translations-at least form my studying, is indeed the KJV-and the NASB, depending on the texts you use. On the NASBs side, it uses a lot of greek texts that were not available to the translators of the 1611 KJV. Which is a true statement. And I'm only focusing on the greek, as the OT texts we do have a lot of the original texts-and theyre used in both the NASB and KJV.

On the KJVs side, a lot of the NT was translated from the Latin Vulgate, which while some see this as a negative, its actually not. See, the Latin vulgate probably WAS translated from the original greek, and if its one thing catholics excelled at over the centuries, its the preservation of scripture.

Ive found the ESV to be a decent translation, its far easier to read. Its not as accurate as either the KJV or the NASB, but on the same note, theres nothing in it that takes away from the power of Christ, and its decently accurate.

My favorite though, is indeed the KJV. I was raised on it, and its what I know. I will use the NASB from time to time, and when teaching, especially to young kids I love the ESV. 

Whats important is not to divide over scripture. there is nowhere in the Bible that says "THOU SHALT USE THE KJV ONLY!" it says that God will preserve His word, but it doesnt specify a translation. And keep in mind God works in wonderful ways, I once met a person who came to Christ reading the message version of the Bible, and like I said previously, that is an absolute garbage version of the Bible. The person I met, even agreed with me-he said he read it, and came to Christ with it, and as he matured and studied realized how bad it was-but it was still there at the right time, and right place. And oftentimes, I've found, studying multiple translations can actually strengthen your knowledge of scripture-because then you notice the differences in them, and it encourages you to start doing word studies of the original languages, to find out which is right and why. 

So don't judge someone because theyre not using "your" translation of the Bible. If you think theres a case to be made for your translation, then make it, but do so in love.

And keep in mind, being more accurate does a person absolutely no good if they can't understand it. The Latin Vulgate is likely far more accurate then any English translation, but as 99% of the population can't read Latin, it doesn't do them any good.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, Walter Goraj jr said:

Agreed! and the Spirit filled Christian will (sooner or later)  end up using the KJV to study with. 

@Walter Goraj jr

All I can take from this statement is that since I have been reading the Bible for 40 years and am still not King James preferred or only that I must not be Spirit-filled, meaning I am not saved?  Is that what you are saying.  

Anyone who is not Spirit-filled is not saved.  They are going to hell.

All Christians are Spirit-filled upon their conversion - and stay Spirit-filled no matter if they read the King James or another Bible translation.

I'm just trying to get clarity on what you are saying and what another has agreed with you about.