• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/06/1993

He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters. Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. NASB

Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
NIV

What is the unpardonable sin?

Since the verses say "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven" does this mean that since Jews and Christians both believe in the same creator that if a Jew weren't to believe, that they would still be saved?

"but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

What is speaking against?

Could someone be forgiven if they were to come to a point that caused a them to say "I hate you"?

Or is it about speaking to others against the existence like an athiest would?

What exactly does this mean?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

My opinion.... if a person were to say something bad to the Holy Spirit ..like cussing or criticizing.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you read this whole chapter you will see that Jesus spoke this to the accusation that he was casting out a demon by the work of the devil.... I would say that it seems that it was the work of the Holy Spirit that was doing the work, and they had basically accused the Holy Spirit of being the devil..

So I would say that I agree with Love Song in that it is saying things or making accusations against the Holy Spirit.

The Witness To Jesus

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: John 15:26

Is The Holy Ghost

Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:9

And Without Jesus, Your Done....

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

If you read this whole chapter you will see that Jesus spoke this to the accusation that he was casting out a demon by the work of the devil.... I would say that it seems that it was the work of the Holy Spirit that was doing the work, and they had basically accused the Holy Spirit of being the devil..

So I would say that I agree with Love Song in that it is saying things or making accusations against the Holy Spirit.

Amen~!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I've read several interpretations of the unforgivable sin in my years as a Christian. I finally heard one I agree with. It came from an old time preacher who was well known, but not as well known as say, Billy Graham or Jimmy Swaggart. He has since gone to be with the Lord.

In short, the unpardonable sin is not something that can be easily committed. A new Christian or an unsaved person can't commit it. Satan is fond of trying to make new Christians think they did it and hopefully they will then fall away. For this reason I am going to try to explain it. The preacher explained it with many Biblical references, which I don't recall.

To commit the unpardonable sin one must be a mature Christian. One must have seen the works and the operation of the Holy Spirit in their own life, as well as in others. This person will have to had grown so much with the Lord that this person no longer has any doubts to the reality of God. But not just does he have no doubts, he has seen and tasted the Heavenly gifts of the Holy Spirit. Given all this, the person would then have to tell God/Holy Spirit to get out of the person's life. The person would have to be of a sound mind and know exactly what he is doing. It wouldn't be the unpardonable sin if the person said it in a time of duress, depression, or while grieving the loss of a loved one. So if a person like this, tells God to go away, "I want no part of you", that then is the unpardonable sin. And I believe the person also has to die in this state. Because even if a person did all this, and then comes back to God, while alive, God will still forgive the person. That's how big, graceful, loving, and forgiving our God is.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1974

JTC, I would not really completely disagree with you, as Hebrews and many others seem to state the same, however, I would like to add, that in my own humble opion, this unforgivable sin is extended to all, no matter what their status, but it will not be unforgiven until after we die. I believe the Holy Spirit of grace calls all of us to becken our hearts and follow Him. If anyone chooses to reject this calling and pleading and begging their entire lives, this is living a life of going against the Holy Spirit, and making Him out to be nothing, when He is God. I do tend to think, however, many grow a very hardened heart thus making it much more difficult to accept the Holy Spirit as the heart hardens.

We are not to grieve the Holy Spirit, and I sure know I have, but thank God, He is merciful and forgiving..

God bless

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The thing I really love about Jesus putting the gainsayers in their place is that he asks them, "And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast [them] out?". What he was actually pointing out was that they were not casting out devils at all. Only he had this ability. They were merely envious of his ability.

Gary

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

... this unforgivable sin is extended to all, no matter what their status, but it will not be unforgiven until after we die.

I underlined one of your points I do not understand. Scripture tells us in Matthew 12:32

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Can you explain what you mean by "but it will not be forgiven until after we die" and back it with scripture?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1974

I underlined one of your points I do not understand. Scripture tells us in Matthew 12:32

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Can you explain what you mean by "but it will not be forgiven until after we die" and back it with scripture?

Hebrews 6

4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, becauseb to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

My take and belief is this. Is a Christian in my early childhood, I denied the faith, but not out a hardness of heart, but because of lack of understanding. I believe in Hebres it is referring to not the lack of understanding, but the hardness of heart, and letting the world again be your God, and rebelling against the Holy Spirit. The same concept is often found in Proverbs, where it states many decisions made by the rightoues can lead to death if not heeding to the knowledge of wisdom.

Can we speak against one we do not know?

Will God jugdge us according to our heart or just our actions?

Thankfully, God does know our heart. I believe the above verses are associated with a hardened heart who no longer wants Jesus as a King or their King. Sometimes I believe we have to stive to see the whole picture which can easily be misunderstood with looking at a single verse. I wish I could tell you I have it all figured out, but than again, where would I fit Jesus in if I did?

God bless my brother