• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Medications we use seem to help SYMPTOMS. That is a very good thing, but we as Christians need to seek God for a complete healing....

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

A couple years ago, a few towns away from me, there was a lady who started going to a church. She went up to an alter call for prayer one Sunday, and whoever it was who prayed with her told her to get off her anti-depressant, that she didn't need it. Less than a month later this woman murdered her two children and attempted suicide. She even killed the dog.

That is dangerous advise.

Medications we use seem to help SYMPTOMS. That is a very good thing, but we as Christians need to seek God for a complete healing....

Yes,we need both.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Depression and anxiety related conditions can be spiritual, mental or physical problems or a combination of all.  When treating them a spiritual approach is always warranted as with anything in our lives, but medications and therapy are also often required.  My anxiety and OCD are caused by chemical imbalances in my brain and mediation works very well.  I'm attacked by exreme anxiety no matter how my spiritual life is going.  Thankfully God has allowed us to develop medications to treat these conditions just as we use medicine to treat countless other condiitons and diseases.  Of course, all types of medications can be abused and we must be careful not to do this.  Another thing I found out with therapy is that it can be very helpful, but since therapists can be very influential, I would always find a Christian therapist with good credentials in the field.  One last thing I've discovered is that regardless of type of treatment, always go to God.  There's been those hopeless times I thought I was "going over the cliff" and it was only God's hand that pulled me back.  Despite everything else, we're ultimately reliant on God.    

Depression and anxiety related conditions can be spiritual, mental or physical problems or a combination of all.  When treating them a spiritual approach is always warranted as with anything in our lives, but medications and therapy are also often required.  My anxiety and OCD are caused by chemical imbalances in my brain and mediation works very well.  I'm attacked by exreme anxiety no matter how my spiritual life is going.  Thankfully God has allowed us to develop medications to treat these conditions just as we use medicine to treat countless other condiitons and diseases.  Of course, all types of medications can be abused and we must be careful not to do this.  Another thing I found out with therapy is that it can be very helpful, but since therapists can be very influential, I would always find a Christian therapist with good credentials in the field.  One last thing I've discovered is that regardless of type of treatment, always go to God.  There's been those hopeless times I thought I was "going over the cliff" and it was only God's hand that pulled me back.  Despite everything else, we're ultimately reliant on God.    

They are not spiritual.Having a mental illness is a chemical imbalance of the brain.Just like a person who has diabetes has an imbalance of the pancreas.No difference, it is just the brain that has the problem.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

It appears medication is just a way of dealing with a problem that America is suffering from in much higher rates than any country on the face of the earth.

statistically no other country takes as much medicine and pharmacuiticals on a daily basis than Americans, and the same statistics show they are worse off (health wise) than many other countries

As for depression you would think people who have to eat dirt cookies and other trash and are starving to death on a daily basis would have higher rates of depression, but this also is not the case, infact its almost the complete opposite depression strikes more well to do people than the poorest in our country

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is a topic we have debated before, and will most likely always debate.

As Christians, we should always find out what is going on in a person's heart. I am of the belief that even chemical imbalances can be caused by spiritual problems and a lifestyle of "negative" thinking. That is not to deny physical problems having physical causes, but to say that just because a chemical imbalance is found does not mean the person does not have a spiritual condition behind that that needs to be healed.

I personally avoided anti-depressants because I was more afraid of potential side-effects than I did the disease.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

in some states if you are prescribed antidepressants you are legally declared mentally ill and it can affect many things in your life      a Vet can cause him/herself a lot of problems, so one should be certain that they need them.  Doctors seem to write prescriptions at the drop of a hat then treat you as if you're totally incompetent.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92

in some states if you are prescribed antidepressants you are legally declared mentally ill and it can affect many things in your life      a Vet can cause him/herself a lot of problems, so one should be certain that they need them.  Doctors seem to write prescriptions at the drop of a hat then treat you as if you're totally incompetent.

Crap like that is what keeps people from seeking the help they need.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Big pharmaceutical companies fool the masses in America  again.

A Harvard Medical School psychologist, Irving Kirsch, who has been studying placebo effects for three decades, recently came up with the documented conclusion that pharmaceutical anti-depressants don't work.

Drug companies pay the FDA for approving their drugs. But the FDA doesn't do the trials or reports. They simply take them from the drug companies who all do their own trials and decide which reports to publish and submit.

Kirsch discovered that most anti-depressant trials showed no proof of efficacy. Those results were simply hidden from view. So if 12 tests were done, and only two showed any efficacy at all, those two would be submitted to the FDA, and the FDA would essentially say "pay your fee and go to market."

Kirsch's conclusion was featured in a national CBS 60 Minutes television report.

<<<Removed Video Link>>>

Please refrain from posting videos outside of the Video Forums. If you want to post a video link, please post it there and then link back to the thread.

When the pill wears off, the problem is still there.

Edited by Steve_S
Removed Video Link