• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Hi Michael!

Jesus reference to John the Baptist being in the spirit of Elijah was a reference to the prophecy in Malachi 4:5,where it is written that the coming of Elijah was in the spirit of Elijah......Luke 1 13-17....Jesus is not saying John the Baptist was Elijah re-incarnated but more in his spirit(perhaps character is a better word)....the context is found in the story of Zecherias beginning in Luke1:8....some even speculate that perhaps Zecherias(having  had access to the temple)may have given Elijahs camel hair garment to John the Baptist to wear(only speculation but an interesting theory)

Even John the Baptist was asked if he were Elijah and his answer was no......I believe the people did not recognize prophecy being fulfilled by Jesus before their very eyes....I am not sure I am explaining this very well,my mind is racing from scripture to scripture....perhaps one of my brothers or sisters may jump in here to clarify what I am trying to say(lol)

Unless of course,you do know what I mean.....                                            Love,Kwik

asked if he was Elijah he said no, thats an honest answer he wasn't Elijah he was John the Baptist, but who knows what spirit resides in each of us but God Himself

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Hi again Michael!

Amen to that!What a Mighty God we serve....is it not wonderful that He even knows the number of hairs on our very heads....All the glory to our Heavenly Father!

Love,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  601

I really do get alot by reading different versions...

In the Bible I use the most, (New King James Version) 1 Corinthians 14:32 references 1 John 4:1

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

1 John 4:1 Beloved do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Now reading in the New International Version-Quest Study Bible...1 Corinthians 14:32 reads this way: The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.

Remembering that we are talking about folks that walk in The Gifts of The Holy Spirit...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  616

In the Bible I use the most, (New King James Version) 1 Corinthians 14:32 references 1 John 4:1

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

1 John 4:1 Beloved do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Now reading in the New International Version-Quest Study Bible...1 Corinthians 14:32 reads this way: The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.

Remembering that we are talking about folks that walk in The Gifts of The Holy Spirit...

considering the passage says "test the spirits" its refering to more than one, we see from scripture that there are many spirits that are working inconjunction with God, not only are God's angels called ministering spirits, we see God has seven Spirits before his throne, they are also seen as different from the seven stars that are represented by the seven angels of the churches, we Know that God Himself is a Spirit, and that there is His Holy Spirit which seems to be different as the seven spirits stand before God's throne, Its not a plausible theory that the Holy Spirit stands before His own throne, since the Holy Spirit and God are one

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  601

considering the passage says "test the spirits" its refering to more than one, we see from scripture that there are many spirits that are working inconjunction with God, not only are God's angels called ministering spirits, we see God has seven Spirits before his throne, they are also seen as different from the seven stars that are represented by the seven angels of the churches, we Know that God Himself is a Spirit, and that there is His Holy Spirit which seems to be different as the seven spirits stand before God's throne, Its not a plausible theory that the Holy Spirit stands before His own throne, since the Holy Spirit and God are one

How do we test the spirits-whether they are of God?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/12/1971

My pastor who is well versed in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, and Latin having degrees in all and studying for 30+ years says that what is meant here is what is called passive receptability....meaning, you can give in or not to the moving of the Spirit, in the sense that you can hold your peace until it is your turn to speak so that there can be order....I think this is true myself in the interpretation that he gives as I have been in meetings where people would really just go spiritually bonkers and thought since they were in the Spirit anything goes...that goes back to their understanding....I don't mean quench the Spirit....I'm sure if you have been in Pentecostal circles long enough you have seen something similar that produces chaos....then those same people will tend to think when corrected that they were told to quench the Spirit and that church is wrong....and on and on....then you got strife and the whole nine yards...I am not out to start a theological debate as I'm not a theologian per se but in my experience, when I have been "drunk in the Spirit", it is a pretty mind blowing deal...I've been drunk in my younger days in the natural and you do somewhat feel a bit loose and your inhibitions are not the same but being drunk in the Spirit is not the same as other ways the Spirit moves....but I mention this because I have heard of instances where people went bonkers with this....they know the Spirit is working on them and they give in to the "flesh" I believe in many situations genuinely believing they are giving into the Spirit and do bizzare things...if people understood this verse I think it would help the church immensely.....good topic....

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

My pastor who is well versed in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, and Latin having degrees in all and studying for 30+ years says that what is meant here is what is called passive receptability....meaning, you can give in or not to the moving of the Spirit, in the sense that you can hold your peace until it is your turn to speak so that there can be order....I think this is true myself in the interpretation that he gives as I have been in meetings where people would really just go spiritually bonkers and thought since they were in the Spirit anything goes...that goes back to their understanding....I don't mean quench the Spirit....I'm sure if you have been in Pentecostal circles long enough you have seen something similar that produces chaos....then those same people will tend to think when corrected that they were told to quench the Spirit and that church is wrong....and on and on....then you got strife and the whole nine yards...I am not out to start a theological debate as I'm not a theologian per se but in my experience, when I have been "drunk in the Spirit", it is a pretty mind blowing deal...I've been drunk in my younger days in the natural and you do somewhat feel a bit loose and your inhibitions are not the same but being drunk in the Spirit is not the same as other ways the Spirit moves....but I mention this because I have heard of instances where people went bonkers with this....they know the Spirit is working on them and they give in to the "flesh" I believe in many situations genuinely believing they are giving into the Spirit and do bizzare things...if people understood this verse I think it would help the church immensely.....good topic....

I have noticed in Pentecostal churches, people making animal sounds, rolling on the floor and jumping up and down-- a kind of a free for all! After a little while, the pastor raises his hand (may be to indicate enough is enough) all become quiet and normal. When I narrated this to a Pentecostal believer, she told me that all the spirits of those people are under control of the spirit of the pastor, meaning no involvement of the Holy Spirit in the chaos!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I did comment on this thread on this topic and it is very interesting to read everyones views.I would just like to say in response to the comments made about the Pentecostal denomination(Please,don't get excited(lol)...I am not saying that anyone categorised Pentecostals or that the comments are derrogeritory)

I attend a Pentecostal chuch,although I do not consider myself of any denomination except a member in the Body of Christ.I have attended 2 regurlarly for many years and have been to very many Pentecostal revivals and services.....as with any"church"the conduct of the congregation depends solely on what is tolerated by the leaders and/or pastor....I think the differences viewed by many of Pentecostals is due to the fact that they(Pentacostals)believe that the speaking of tongues is the evidence that one has received the Holy Spirit and of course the operating in spiritual gifts.Many churches will permit the people  to become totally out of order and do not follow Pauls instruction for maintaining order in the church (as I have witnessed in Carismatic Catholic churches,Contemporary Southern Baptist as well as 7th day Adventists)

The Pastor of the church I attend  will always encourage  those that have different gifts to use them for the building up and edification of the church according to Scripture,decently and in order.....we do not have more than one at a time speaking in tongues and it must be interpreted,etc....no one is rolling about on the floor and we have beautiful spirit filled gatherings,and many of the churches we visit(as a group)function in the same way........I'm not saying we don't get a little loud at times(lol)but it is never disorderly or kaotic.....kaos and havoc is not of God

I just wanted to share with you all that there is good and bad in every denomination and that is why it is so important that we do know the Word of God for ourselves and judge accordingly....in the Name of Jesus

Love to all & God bless you,Kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/12/1971

I have noticed in Pentecostal churches, people making animal sounds, rolling on the floor and jumping up and down-- a kind of a free for all! After a little while, the pastor raises his hand (may be to indicate enough is enough) all become quiet and normal. When I narrated this to a Pentecostal believer, she told me that all the spirits of those people are under control of the spirit of the pastor, meaning no involvement of the Holy Spirit in the chaos!

Okay....so I'm so clueless on this "thang". I do not know how to post correctly but I'll keep trying....I have been told by my pastor that barking is not of the Holy Spirit as it is demeaning and doesn't glorify God. I have to agree on that particular manifestation. I wonder if it is people in the flesh that are genuinely touched and just let loose in the flesh but I don't personally believe it is a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Others I believe, like rolling in the floor and jumping up and down may or may not be. John Wesley wrote that he prayed for revival without defects but if we can't have revival without defects to send revival anyway. I don't believe what is meant here is God sends defects rather that people who are fallible are going to get out of order which will discredit what is real. David danced till his clothes came off yet he wasn't completely naked. I understand the word rejoice means to spin around in original language. I guess my point is, I believe we should be more enthusiastic about God and show it and nothing else we celebrate should come close like cheering at a football game. I do believe in order. I think it is up to the pastor to judge things but I do think we have to be careful not to go along with "whatever". I would draw the line with the barking thing. If some is barking, I believe they need deliverance. Of course, others may say that rolling in the floor is demeaning and might would draw the line there.

Edited by Faithful