GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Grace comes to us in two dimensions: vertical and horizontal.

Vertical grace
centers on our relationships with God. Freeing us from the demands and the condemnation of the Mosaic law, vertical grace gives us hope to the sinner by not only providing eternal life but also freeing us from any requirements to pay back God. Vertical grace is truly amazing!

Horizontal grace centers around our relationship with others. Relieved from our guilt and shame, we walk in grace, we’re free from the tyranny of pleasing people. We’re free from their demands and expectations, and they’re free from ours. When we can demonstrate horizontal grace, we accept others as they are. We have no personal agenda to make anyone be someone he or she is not. Horizontal grace is truly charming!

The basic commandments by Christ were to love God and love people. I think sometimes we understand grace in the context of God's grace towards us. But we forget to allow God's grace given to us to overflow in our relationships and give us the opportunity to be gracious to others. Charles also is known to have said something to the extent of: "I am more interested in aging with God's grace than aging gracefully. As I get older I want to be filled with more of God's grace and love."

I. Two Strong Tendencies that Nullify Grace

A. Comparing ourselves to others

Examples…
Musical Tastes
Income
Marital Status

Number of children

B. Seeking to control others

Intimidation/Judgment
We need to stop trying to be in charge of others lives (Or the Holy Spirit for that matter)
Playing the King of the Mountain – don’t do it.

II. Four Biblical Guidelines that Personify Grace (Romans 14)

A. Remember that accepting others is basic to letting God grow them. 

B. Releasing others allows the Lord to direct the details we're not qualified to fill.

C. Freeing others means we never assume a role (of the Holy Spirit).

D. Loving others requires us to express our liberty wisely.

What was the taboo issue of the day in the Church in Romans 14? The big issue of the day was eating food and in particular meat offered to idols. Meat would be sold on the market that was offered to an idol. Newer Believers would be exasperated that those who’d been in the faith longer had no issue with food offered to idols.

See: Romans 14:1-19 (NLT)

III. Suggestions on how to give more horizontal grace?

A. Refocus on things that encourage peace.
B. Remember that sabotaging saints hurts God’s work.
C. Refuse to play God in anyone’s life.

God bless,

GE

Source: Based on a sermon listened today with my wife by Charles Swindoll - The Grace to Let Others Be... February 15, 2013

Edit: Added the section in bold red.

Edited by GoldenEagle

Anyone thoughts on this?

If the horse won't come to the water... grab a bucket. <sigh>

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Sad to say, I guess I never thought much about what you call horizontal grace. Seeing as I have never thought to much about it, I don't think I can speak on it. Interesting topic. I have always thought of Grace as what God shows us, and love as what we show others. Putting it in terms of grace adds a dimension to it, I guess I just haven't thought about. From how I understand what your saying, showing others love should always come with grace.

Sad to say, I guess I never thought much about what you call horizontal grace. Seeing as I have never thought to much about it, I don't think I can speak on it. Interesting topic. I have always thought of Grace as what God shows us, and love as what we show others. Putting it in terms of grace adds a dimension to it, I guess I just haven't thought about. From how I understand what your saying, showing others love should always come with grace.

Yes! Think of us as human beings as cups. We are empty inside. God poors His grace and life into us.

Water%20Being%20Poured%20into%20Glass.jp

I think people have overlooked God's grace (vertical) and how it poors into others (horizontal). What does it look like when we poor grace into the lives of others?

SuperStock_1672R-30657.jpg

What about when we just take God's grace for granted and we ignore giving grace to others? Sure we're full but look at the mess...

3801837-split-water-glass.jpg

Grace should be at the center of what we do. Even when we have to call people out for false teaching and speak the truth (sometimes called tough love) we should measure our words with grace. Don't you think?

It is a paradigm shift for sure. Hope this helps? 

God bless,

GE

Also consider what Chuck said...

“Grace has to be the loveliest word in the English language. It embodies almost every attractive quality we hope to find in others. Grace is a gift of the humble to the humiliated. Grace acknowledges the ugliness of sin by choosing to see beyond it. Grace accepts a person as someone worthy of kindness despite whatever grime or hard-shell casing keeps him or her separated from the rest of the world. Grace is a gift of tender mercy when it makes the least sense.” - Charles Swindoll

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Also consider what Chuck said...

“Grace has to be the loveliest word in the English language. It embodies almost every attractive quality we hope to find in others. Grace is a gift of the humble to the humiliated. Grace acknowledges the ugliness of sin by choosing to see beyond it. Grace accepts a person as someone worthy of kindness despite whatever grime or hard-shell casing keeps him or her separated from the rest of the world. Grace is a gift of tender mercy when it makes the least sense.” - Charles Swindoll

Yes! Think of us as human beings as cups. We are empty inside. God poors His grace and life into us.

Water%20Being%20Poured%20into%20Glass.jp

I think people have overlooked God's grace (vertical) and how it poors into others (horizontal). What does it look like when we poor grace into the lives of others?

SuperStock_1672R-30657.jpg

What about when we just take God's grace for granted and we ignore giving grace to others? Sure we're full but look at the mess...

3801837-split-water-glass.jpg

Grace should be at the center of what we do. Even when we have to call people out for false teaching and speak the truth (sometimes called tough love) we should measure our words with grace. Don't you think?

It is a paradigm shift for sure. Hope this helps? 

God bless,

GE

Thanks for the words and illustrations. It helps. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Along this train of thought -

There was a song that came out back in the 70's: "And they'll know we are Christians by our love."

I've often marveled, though, at how this principle never seemed to manifest itself in the Body of Christ.

Rather, it has seemed:  "And they'll know we are Christians by our obsession with sin."

It's like a problem I have. For some reason, I got into the habit of pinching the zits on my face. It turned into an addiction where I feel better from squeezing oil out of my face. So I look for zits and blackheads and any potential pocket of oil to squeeze out. So what that it damages my face, I'm getting the nasty oil out!

This seems to be what we are like as the body of Christ. We don't see the beauty of the face, we see the nasty zits and we look close up for the nasty oil because it feels so good to eliminate it. And then we believe that eliminating the oil is love, even though it leaves behind wounds and swollen tissue, rather than believing love is covering over the zit or treat it in a way that brings healing in its own time and way.

Along this train of thought -

There was a song that came out back in the 70's: "And they'll know we are Christians by our love."

I've often marveled, though, at how this principle never seemed to manifest itself in the Body of Christ.

Rather, it has seemed:  "And they'll know we are Christians by our obsession with sin."

It's like a problem I have. For some reason, I got into the habit of pinching the zits on my face. It turned into an addiction where I feel better from squeezing oil out of my face. So I look for zits and blackheads and any potential pocket of oil to squeeze out. So what that it damages my face, I'm getting the nasty oil out!

This seems to be what we are like as the body of Christ. We don't see the beauty of the face, we see the nasty zits and we look close up for the nasty oil because it feels so good to eliminate it. And then we believe that eliminating the oil is love, even though it leaves behind wounds and swollen tissue, rather than believing love is covering over the zit or treat it in a way that brings healing in its own time and way.

Very good thoughts Neb. :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Grace comes to us in two dimensions: vertical and horizontal.

Vertical grace centers on our relationships with God. Freeing us from the demands and the condemnation of the Mosaic law, vertical grace gives us hope to the sinner by not only providing eternal life but also freeing us from any requirements to pay back God. Vertical grace is truly amazing!

Horizontal grace centers around our relationship with others. Relieved from our guilt and shame, we walk in grace, we’re free from the tyranny of pleasing people. We’re free from their demands and expectations, and they’re free from ours. When we can demonstrate horizontal grace, we accept others as they are. We have no personal agenda to make anyone be someone he or she is not. Horizontal grace is truly charming!

<snip>

The cross is complete only with both vertical and horizontal fellowships. The vertical portion is longer and strongly rooted from the bottom. Without this strong vertical portion, one cannot support the horizontal part, and it comes later with our growth in the Lord. We need to be like both Peter and Good Samaritan. The complete cross symbolizes Christian life.

Edited by GoldenEagle
< Formatting... >