IGNORED

Is One of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient?

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

There is a lot of debate surrounding ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) as to

1. whether the "Subject" which in this case is the speaker is the bride or the groom?

2. why the "Direct Object" which are the "Daughters of Jerusalem" are addressed as Masculine Plural in The Old Testament Plural even though "Daughters of Jerusalem" is by and in itself feminine plural?

3. whether the "Indirect Object" is the bride, groom or even just referring to the general affection of love?

שיר השירים 2:7

The Westminster Leningrad Codex

7 הִשְׁבַּ֨עְתִּי אֶתְכֶ֜ם בְּנ֤וֹת יְרוּשָׁלִַ֙ם֙ בִּצְבָא֔וֹת א֖וֹ בְּאַיְל֣וֹת הַשָּׂדֶ֑ה אִם־תָּעִ֧ירוּ׀ וְֽאִם־תְּעֽוֹרְר֛וּ אֶת־הָאַהֲבָ֖ה עַ֥ד שֶׁתֶּחְפָּֽץ׃ ס

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New International Version Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New Living Translation Promise me, O women of Jerusalem, by the gazelles and wild deer, not to awaken love until the time is right.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) English Standard Version I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or the does of the field, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) Berean Standard Bible O daughters of Jerusalem, I adjure you by the gazelles and does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until the time is right.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) King James Bible I charge you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, and by the hinds of the field, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, till he please.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New King James Version I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the does of the field, Do not stir up nor awaken love Until it pleases.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New American Standard Bible “Swear to me, you daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the does of the field, That you will not disturb or awaken my love Until she pleases.”

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) NASB 1995 “I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the hinds of the field, That you do not arouse or awaken my love Until she pleases.”

However, regardless of all the debatable aspects of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) mentioned at the top of this post, is One of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient? What would it have meant to the ancient biblical readers at that time? ( To sort of elaborate, would the ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) bible verse been a good reprimanding verse for

• ( 2 Samuel 13:11-14 ) Amnon who raped his half-sister Tamar

• (Genesis 34:1-5) Shechem who lay with Dinah by force

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

The debate is really similar to the one about whether in Song of Solomon it is Israel or the church in view.....

(My dispensational 2c....the church is a revealed mystery -as per Ephesians - so it was not revealed as a primary interpretation in the OT........)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Bartmac

I've never heard of this Song of Solomon to be something debatable- Solomon's Shulamite woman is longing to be with her love" Solomon" and she is advising the young unmarried women to wait for love to come,when it does

The daughters of Jerusalem may be Solomon's own servants( house servants) because later it is suggested as reference is made to them that they decorated his carraige- the Shulamite ( dark skinned)speaks of their " light skin" so it's likely they did not work outside

In the New Testament Jesus uses the phrase " daughters of Jerusalem" as he refers to the women as well,there is no debate about whether male or female,this is a literal address to " the women"

The Songs of Solomon are beautiful - even the young women themselves respond so at that time they were probably the house servants....unmarried young maidens who saw & heard King Solomon up close and in person

Does that answer your question,I am not too sure what you are asking specifically with the references to your dictionaries/ concordances?It's pretty plain text as it is Written imo

Be Blessed,Kwik

3 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Bartmac

I've never heard of this Song of Solomon to be something debatable- Solomon's Shulamite woman is longing to be with her love" Solomon" and she is advising the young unmarried women to wait for love to come,when it does

The daughters of Jerusalem may be Solomon's own servants( house servants) because later it is suggested as reference is made to them that they decorated his carraige- the Shulamite ( dark skinned)speaks of their " light skin" so it's likely they did not work outside

In the New Testament Jesus uses the phrase " daughters of Jerusalem" as he refers to the women as well,there is no debate about whether male or female,this is a literal address to " the women"

The Songs of Solomon are beautiful - even the young women themselves respond so at that time they were probably the house servants....unmarried young maidens who saw & heard King Solomon up close and in person

Does that answer your question,I am not too sure what you are asking specifically with the references to your dictionaries/ concordances?It's pretty plain text as it is Written imo

Be Blessed,Kwik

I trying to point out that among bible theologians, there is a debate as to who is speaking in the ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) verse, and furthermore there is some debate  about whether it is specifically referring to the Bride, Groom or Love in general.

As evidence, please click on the biblehub link below which has bible commentaries that exegete the aforementioned verse:

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/songs/2-7.htm

In any case, this is my question.  Regardless of the debate about the specifics in regards to the aforementioned verse, could the bible reader at the very least say that one of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

11 minutes ago, bartmac123 said:

I trying to point out that among bible theologians, there is a debate as to who is speaking in the ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) verse, and furthermore there is some debate  about whether it is specifically referring to the Bride, Groom or Love in general.

As evidence, please click on the biblehub link below which has bible commentaries that exegete the aforementioned verse:

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/songs/2-7.htm

In any case, this is my question.  Regardless of the debate about the specifics in regards to the aforementioned verse, could the bible reader at the very least say that one of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient?

Certainly!👍

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

On 3/1/2023 at 4:25 AM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Bartmac

Be Blessed,Kwik

@kwikphilly Interesting also the reference by the Lord Jesus to Solomon in Matthew 12.42: "The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here."

• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

Well, if you need to be gentle and patient with a person you love, I suppose this can mean your love needs to be gentle and patient.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

On 2/28/2023 at 6:29 PM, bartmac123 said:

However, regardless of all the debatable aspects of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) mentioned at the top of this post, is One of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient? What would it have meant to the ancient biblical readers at that time? ( To sort of elaborate, would the ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) bible verse been a good reprimanding verse for

It is true that the pronouns are confusing in this inspired book as the material is presented through a series of conversations and there is a constant change of speakers. The persons with speaking parts are identified by what they say of themselves or by what is said to them:

·         Solomon the king of Jerusalem

·         A shepherd

·         Beloved Shulammite

·         Her brothers

·         Court ladies (“daughters of Jerusalem”)

·         Women of Jerusalem (“daughters of Zion”).

While some may espouse a greater meaning to the love story involving arcane metaphors, it is a true story of a young beautiful maiden who rejects the romantic advances of a powerful king who promises to adorn her with unbelievable amounts of riches.  The lessons we can glean from this story is that genuine love remains unconquerable, inextinguishable, unpurchasable and Christian men and women as well as husbands and wives can benefit from this fitting example of integrity when temptations arise and allurements present themselves.

33 minutes ago, BibleStudent100 said:

It is true that the pronouns are confusing in this inspired book as the material is presented through a series of conversations and there is a constant change of speakers. The persons with speaking parts are identified by what they say of themselves or by what is said to them:

·         Solomon the king of Jerusalem

·         A shepherd

·         Beloved Shulammite

·         Her brothers

·         Court ladies (“daughters of Jerusalem”)

·         Women of Jerusalem (“daughters of Zion”).

While some may espouse a greater meaning to the love story involving arcane metaphors, it is a true story of a young beautiful maiden who rejects the romantic advances of a powerful king who promises to adorn her with unbelievable amounts of riches.  The lessons we can glean from this story is that genuine love remains unconquerable, inextinguishable, unpurchasable and Christian men and women as well as husbands and wives can benefit from this fitting example of integrity when temptations arise and allurements present themselves.

@BibleStudent100> @BibleStudent100Thanks.  For the most part, I agree with your evaluation, however, could you please indicate where does the young beautiful maiden ever reject the romantic advances of the powerful king?   If anything, there are excerpt scripture verses that indicate that the beautiful maiden(i.e bride) is searching for the king ( i.e, groom)

Song of Solomon 3:1-2

New American Standard Bible 1995
1 “[a]On my bed night after night I sought him
 Whom my soul loves;
 I sought him but did not find him.
 ‘I must arise now and [c]go about the city;
 In the streets and in the squares
 [d]I must seek him whom my soul loves.’
 I sought him but did not find him.

Song of Solomon 5:2-6

New American Standard Bible 1995
2 “[a]I was asleep but my heart was awake.
A voice! My beloved was knocking:
‘Open to me, my sister, my darling,
My dove, my perfect one!
For my head is drenched with dew,
My locks with the [c]damp of the night.’
3 “I have taken off my dress,
How can I put it on again?
I have washed my feet,
How can I dirty them again?
4 “My beloved extended his hand through the opening,
And my [d]feelings were aroused for him.
5 “I arose to open to my beloved;
And my hands dripped with myrrh,
And my fingers with [e]liquid myrrh,
On the handles of the bolt.
6 “I opened to my beloved,
But my beloved had turned away and had gone!
My [f]heart went out to him as he spoke.
I searched for him but I did not find him;
I called him but he did not answer me.

could you please indicate where does the young beautiful maiden ever reject the romantic advances of the powerful king?  

Edited by bartmac123

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

9 minutes ago, bartmac123 said:

For the most part, I agree with your evaluation, however, could you please indicate where does the young beautiful maiden ever reject the romantic advances of the powerful king?   I

At least three times she reminds the daughters of Jerusalem that they are under oath not to awaken love in her against her will and this is the third time (Song of Solomon 8:4):
"I put you under oath, O daughters of Jerusalem:
Do not try to awaken or arouse love in me until it feels inclined"

In chapters 2 and 3, there are many instances wherein she speaks of her undying love for her shepherd boy.  For her to be abundantly clear that she rejects Solomon's advances would have been unwise, bearing in mind the powerful position of a King and what he might do if romantically scorned.  In the end, Solomon allows her to return to her village of Shunem (likely the village of the maiden's).