• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

Why do most people keep holidays that are different from the Holy day festivals listed and described in the Bible?

When were these feast days like Trumpets, Tabernacles, and atonement abandoned.?

Didn't Jesus and the Apostles celebrate them in the New Testament and continued long after Christ rose to Heaven?

Revelation, and prophecies, shows us that all mankind will be forced to keep the Feast days in the future during the reign of Christ on earth.

If God said these Feast days were to be kept forever, why don't we keep them now rather than holidays like Christmas and Easter that have pagan roots?

Christ set the example by observing the Biblical Feast days-why don't we follow Him?

That's a good question. I think the answer is that tradition has taken the place of the word of God.

Edited by Butch5

hmmmm. I don't recall anywhere in the Bible saying we will be celebrating Rosh Hosanna and passover during Christs millenial reign. In fact, since we will be with Christ all the time, I would suspect all such holidays-be it the "Biblical" ones or the modern day ones, will be not only pointless, but gone.

My personal conviction is this:

The Feast celebrate the plan of God in a way our "Christian" holidays never do.

The Passover week celebration is something you partake of, something you proclaim with actions. What do our Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and Easter Sunrise church services do? Sing songs, listen to sermons, maybe have an artistic presentation...basically, it's just another church service. What does Easter do? OK, coloring eggs and an Easter egg hunt is fun, but how does this celebrate and remember Jesus' victory over death and the grave?

Rosh Hoshana through Yom Kippur through the Feast of Tabernacles likewise acts out the preparation and cleansing of ourselves to appear before God and the final celebration of our uniting with the Lord. When Jesus proclaimed, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.' " (John 7:37-38), that was during the water pouring ceremony at the Feast of Tabernacles (a ceremony which occured during "the last day, the great day of the feast" as it mentions in vs. 37) - the high priest would pour water that had been drawn from the living (running) water that flowed at the base of the Temple Mount.

We just don't get these kinds of experiences our chocolate bunnies and Christmas trees.

I agree, Ezekiel also speaks of the water flowing from the temple.

whats important isn't the holidays-saying you have to celebrate this holiday on this day is being a bit legalistic. whats important, is the relationship with Jesus Christ. Whether you celebrate that on december 25th, or on passover is irrelevant.

I think it is Important. The Scriptures clearly state that the Israelites were not to worship God the same way the pagans worshipped their gods. It seems only logical that that would also apply to Christians. The pagans did worship with tree, lights, etc.

Additionally, the feast days a very important. Jesus was killed on the Passover, raised on the day of first fruits, born on Rosh Hashanah, will return on Yom Kippor, and the first feat that will be celebrated in the kingdom is the feast of tabernacles. If you look a Revelation it ends with the Tabernacle of God coming down to live with men. It seems fitting that the first feast would be the Feast of Tabernacles

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

whats important isn't the holidays-saying you have to celebrate this holiday on this day is being a bit legalistic. whats important, is the relationship with Jesus Christ. Whether you celebrate that on december 25th, or on passover is irrelevant.

I think it is Important. The Scriptures clearly state that the Israelites were not to worship God the same way the pagans worshipped their gods. It seems only logical that that would also apply to Christians. The pagans did worship with tree, lights, etc.

Additionally, the feast days a very important. Jesus was killed on the Passover, raised on the day of first fruits, born on Rosh Hashanah, will return on Yom Kippor, and the first feat that will be celebrated in the kingdom is the feast of tabernacles. If you look a Revelation it ends with the Tabernacle of God coming down to live with men. It seems fitting that the first feast would be the Feast of Tabernacles

If pagans did celebrate with trees, they were using Gods creation to honor a pagan god. Nothing wrong with using Gods creation, trees, as a decoration on a holiday to honor God. The Israelites also worshipped with lights, as commanded by God, so there is nothing inherently pagan about lights either. 

Jesus died on Passover, was raised on the first fruits wave offering, and the Holy Spirit was sent on the feast of first fruits. There is no proof that Jesus was born on Rosh Hashanah, and it is more likely wrong. I disagree with His return on Yom Kippur. You are saying the Feast of Tabernacles is the first feast celebrated, but feasts are celebrations in memory of what God did. What will God do in relationship to the Feast of Tabernacles?

If pagans did celebrate with trees, they were using Gods creation to honor a pagan god. Nothing wrong with using Gods creation, trees, as a decoration on a holiday to honor God. The Israelites also worshipped with lights, as commanded by God, so there is nothing inherently pagan about lights either. 

Jesus died on Passover, was raised on the first fruits wave offering, and the Holy Spirit was sent on the feast of first fruits. There is no proof that Jesus was born on Rosh Hashanah, and it is more likely wrong. I disagree with His return on Yom Kippur. You are saying the Feast of Tabernacles is the first feast celebrated, but feasts are celebrations in memory of what God did. What will God do in relationship to the Feast of Tabernacles?

God specifically told the Israelites that they were not to worship Him as the pagans do.

KJV Deuteronomy 12:1 These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth.

2 Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree:

3 And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.

4Ye shall not do so unto the LORD your God.

5 But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come: (Deu 12:1-5 KJV)

30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.

31Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods. (Deu 12:30-31 KJV)

Regarding the feast days the Holy Spirit was sent on Pentecost. There is proof that Jesus was born on Rosh Hashanah. John give His birth in the Revelation,

KJV Revelation 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne. (Rev 12:1-5 KJV)

This event happened on Rosh Hashanah in 3 B.C. I believe it was Sept 12.  Normally on Rosh Hashanah there are 10 stars in the crown of the woman virgo, however, that particular year Mercury and Venus also appeared in the crown making 12. Also the hydra could be seen at this time.

Likewise, Paul tells us that Christ will return on Yom Kippur.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? (1Co 15:51-55 KJV)

The last trumpet sounds on Yom Kippur in the year of Jubilee. The Israelites were told to keep an agricultural cycle. They were to work the land for 6 year and let it rest the seventh. The seventh was to be a Sabbath for  the land. They were to do this for 7 cycle which would be 49 years. In the fiftieth year they were to observe the Jubilee year and the cycle would begin again. In the seven cycles the trumpet was blown on Rosh Hashanah but not on Yom Kippur, however, on the Jubilee year the trumpet was blown on Yom Kippur and it was the last trumpet in the cycle.

Edited by Butch5

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,256
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I'm not saying you have to do anything. I am simply stating the Feasts as directed by Lord hold more meaning to His plan of redemption. 

I would not have known this had I not participated in a Passover Seder. You eat the bitter herbs that remind you of your bondage to sin, you drink from the cup of Redemption, the middle matza is broken and a piece hidden then later found by the children - a fun way to walk through Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection - the malizing receiving Jesus death and resurrection unto ourselves, and the like.

The cup of Redemption and the middle matza are what we partake of in Communion, only we miss out on the greater meaning of these elements as well as the surrounding elements that paint the entire greater picture.

So truly, I fail to understand why there is an expression of animosity towards celebrating this?

I enjoyed and was also enriched by celebrating a Christian seder. I wish we could do it every year and celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread as well, and the feast of First Fruits. It would be cool to give them their rightful names. It would also remind us that we serve a Jewish Savior. To be true, we don't have to. But it is something I would love to do just to get in touch with our Savior's roots. It is a little like visiting the Holy Land to walk where Jesus walked. Understanding the feasts gives us better understanding of the Bible. It would be a good study. But It would be better if held as optional services. Wrapping my tongue around Hebrew words was not easy, though. I would prefer English.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Slight correction - the  Holy Spirit came with "the Feast of Weeks" - 50 days after the First Fruits.

Something to consider, if Jesus' first coming - His death and resurrection and the giving of the Holy Spirit - were tied into the Spring Feasts, why would not the events of His second coming be tied into the Fall Feasts?

...  When the Church is started at Pentecost, we have no clear evidence that they continued to observe these feass....

I have to disagree with you on this.

"Pentecost" is the Greek work for Shavuot, also known as "The Feast of Weeks".

Described in Leviticus 23, The Feast of Weeks is the second of the three “solemn feasts” that all Jewish males were required to travel to Jerusalem to attend (Exodus 23:14-17, 34:22-23; Deuteronomy 16:16). This important feast gets its name from the fact that it starts seven full weeks, or exactly 50 days, after the Feast of the First Fruits. Since it takes place exactly 50 days after the previous feast, this feast is also known as “Pentecost” (Acts 2:1), which means fifty.

Each of three “solemn feasts”—Passover, The Feast of Weeks and The Feast of Tabernacles—required that all able-bodied Jewish males travel to Jerusalem to attend the feast and offer sacrifices....

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Feast-of-Weeks.html#ixzz2fG12CFdg

The evidence we have that the Apostles continued celebrating the feasts is found here:

Acts 20:16

For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted , if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.

As is noted above, all able-bodied males were required to "appear before the Lord GOD" (by then, in Jerusalem where Temple was) for Pentecost. This is why Paul made the effort to be at Jerusalem that day.

Even if true, it does not change anything.  Paul nor any of the other Apostles never commanded any Gentile believers to keep these feasts.  I am thinking Paul kept these feasts because of his past, for one thing.  They were his tradition, he was comfortable with them, and I am sure he enjoyed them.  And he had the freedom to continue them, just as anyone does, if they wish to.  I also believe he kept them as a connection between himself and other Jewish believers in the church.  But he never commands anyone else to keep them, Jew or Gentile, and neither does anyone else.

OK, what you wrote, that I responded to, made it sound as if you thought the Jewish believers quit celebrating the feasts.

In any event, I personally believe the celebration of the feasts was never in question back then. The Jewish believers naturally would begin celebrating Passover with new eyes, understanding that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Passover (after all, what we call Communion were 2 elements of the Passover meal that Jesus gave new revelation to).

The question then would be - in a church with both Jewish and Gentile believers, did the Jews include or exclude the Gentile believers from this celebration of Jesus? 

And would the Gentile believers have been against celebrating the Jewish feast which pointed to their new-found Savior?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Slight correction - the  Holy Spirit came with "the Feast of Weeks" - 50 days after the First Fruits.

Something to consider, if Jesus' first coming - His death and resurrection and the giving of the Holy Spirit - were tied into the Spring Feasts, why would not the events of His second coming be tied into the Fall Feasts?

The Feast of Weeks,  Shavuot, is also the called Day of First Fruits which is a feast day and is on the 50th day. 50 days prior is the first fruits wave offering which is the first day of the counting of the omer, and the day of the resurrection.

Lev 23:

10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:

11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

This is the wave offering on the day after the Sabbath during Passover. The barley is the first.

Lev 23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the Lord.

The counting of the omer starting on the first fruits wave offering.

Lev 23:17 Ye shall bring out of your habitations two wave loaves of two tenth deals; they shall be of fine flour; they shall be baken with leaven; they are the firstfruits unto the Lord.

The 50th day, Shavuot, which is the firstfruits feast for the wheat harvest.

I don't see concrete scripture saying that the Apostles kept the feasts.

But as I pointed out, Paul was attempting to make it to Jerusalem for the Feast of Pentecost (Shavuot).