• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Internet Bible reading surges, now 4 in 10 read God's words digitally

Full Article Here

God is still great in the eyes of Americans, even on the internet. While an amazing 88 percent of the nation’s homes own a Bible, more and more are switching to the internet, cell phones and iPad for their weekly inspiration, according to a sweeping new survey of Bible use.

In their latest survey of Bible use, the American Bible Society finds that 41 percent of Americans used the internet to read the good book on a computer. Some 29 percent said they searched Bible verses on a cell phone and 17 percent said they read an electronic version of the Bible on a Kindle or iPad.

The trend is similar in the news business, with the readers shifting to digital over paper.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Full Article Here

God is still great in the eyes of Americans, even on the internet. While an amazing 88 percent of the nation’s homes own a Bible, more and more are switching to the internet, cell phones and iPad for their weekly inspiration, according to a sweeping new survey of Bible use.

In their latest survey of Bible use, the American Bible Society finds that 41 percent of Americans used the internet to read the good book on a computer. Some 29 percent said they searched Bible verses on a cell phone and 17 percent said they read an electronic version of the Bible on a Kindle or iPad.

The trend is similar in the news business, with the readers shifting to digital over paper.

yeah and do you have any idea what that has done to the printing business

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Full Article Here

yeah and do you have any idea what that has done to the printing business

Just one more job being deleted by technology :(

at least it makes it easier to get rid of junk mail

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings other one,

I don't want to sound negative because I do think it is a good thing no matter how one comes to reading the Word of God but as with so many things you pull up on the internet....I think it can be very dangerous because many people will not bother to see where the reading has come from...ie:you google something and find after reading awhile that you have landed on Joe Shmo's blog(someone with very minimal computer experience as myself)....I have found even on BibleGateway KJV that something in a particular verse didn't quite sound right and pulled out my trusty Bible and lo and behold it differed slightly(which can alter the entire meaning)......it is just too easy to deceive on the internet if not a very true and reliable source.....am I making sense?

I find e-Sword to be a reliable source so far but I am still uncomfortable without checking with my Bible...maybe I need to catch up to the times but I see technology can so easily be used to mislead people and adulterate the Word of God???

God bless us all,In Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

Blessings other one,

I don't want to sound negative because I do think it is a good thing no matter how one comes to reading the Word of God but as with so many things you pull up on the internet....I think it can be very dangerous because many people will not bother to see where the reading has come from...ie:you google something and find after reading awhile that you have landed on Joe Shmo's blog(someone with very minimal computer experience as myself)....I have found even on BibleGateway KJV that something in a particular verse didn't quite sound right and pulled out my trusty Bible and lo and behold it differed slightly(which can alter the entire meaning)......it is just too easy to deceive on the internet if not a very true and reliable source.....am I making sense?

I find e-Sword to be a reliable source so far but I am still uncomfortable without checking with my Bible...maybe I need to catch up to the times but I see technology can so easily be used to mislead people and adulterate the Word of God???

God bless us all,In Christ-Kwik

I am one of those ever growing users of digital media over paperback/ hardback material - I do keep certain books around and several bibles simply because "what do you read when the power is out? " lol .....anyway , I too think people put way to much trust in the information given on the internet. I use many resources like biblegateway but have found E-sword to be dependable as any. While technology can be used to deceive it can also be used to clarify and correct - if something is publicly posted on the internet for all to see - then if it is in error - it can be pointed out and corrected much easier than if per say a book had an error. All in all no matter where/ what you use - discernment is elemental :)

God Bless - Hippie

I am one of those ever growing users of digital media over paperback/ hardback material - I do keep certain books around and several bibles simply because "what do you read when the power is out? " lol .....anyway ,

battery in my kindle will last for a month if the wifi is off

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Very true Hippie....                                                                                                                                                                                                       and comforting,I hope I am not too off topic but I just wanted to confirm exactly what you have said in that I purchased a beautiful KJV Bible while visiting the Holyland theme park in Orlando,Fla...during a Bible Study we were told to go to Exodus 20(10 Commandments)and I couldn't find it(lol)...It went from Chapter 19 and jumped to Leviticus,that is alot of missing pages...I contacted the publisher & they sent me another Bible but can you imagine how many 1st timers would never even notice?!!!
I suppose if this was posted on the internet there would be 100's of people barking about the error!!!Something that I would never have even considered had you not pointed this out!

And of course,we must always pray for discernment and pray others will receive it as well....thanks for shedding ab new light on technology for me....and to God be the glory!

In Christ with love,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I use digital Bibles often for research but I can't imagine completely replacing my hard copies.  The feeling of flipping through the pages, with the edges softened from the oil in my hands over time.  The way the spine cracks, leaving barely perceptible gaps between the pages like permanent bookmarks to the most read chapters.  The way the eye memorizes exactly wear on the page a certain passage is so that the eye just falls to it.  Digital copies are admittedly less intimate in comparison!

That said, if God didn't like computers he wouldn't have put the commandments on tablets!    :mgclown: (kidding)

Guest AFlameOfFire

True on my part too, I love the ease of looking up a verse without paging through trying to find it in the book, though I do print off my studies. Because I think, who knows? Something could happen to the internet (and I want to have them).

I was without the internet for quite sometime in the beginning and I remember I getting really good at flipping back and forth in the book becoming very familiar with where things were written (that way) but that has pretty much departed from me. I don't like "that". Sorta like when you stop memorizing peoples phone numbers because you have speed dial. Once and awhile the question might come, "but what if we would have to live without it"?  And Id say, oh well, then we would just have to do without that then. But then the question come, "but what if it happened suddenly? Then I thought, would I be able to recall a phone number I needed (from memory)? And for me? Maybe one or two, but for the most part no.

The convenience of certain things does tend to naturally make you forget what was just a little less convenient.

I do still have my paper books, my scriptures and concordances but I sure wouldn't look forward to returning to studying in that fashion. I also love copy pasting verses writing (by hand) as I did at the first (or even typing). It really is convenient, I'm hooked on the internet for one thing (most especially) studying, cant see doing it without it.