AWBS

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

Doesn't choosing imply a set of things from which to choose?  And is not that set limited?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If there is no free will, then God is not a Father, nor is He a Shepherd or a Husband or a King.

If there is no free will, then all life is a puppet show, and God is a Puppet Master pulling on a string.

you know, this thread kind of died for me with this post....     sort of says it all to me...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Free will was shown plain and simple when Adam and Eve chose to do just what God  told them not to do.

Doesn't choosing imply a set of things from which to choose?  And is not that set limited?

~

Set

Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

Point

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

~

Set

Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

Point

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

So the one & only item on the menu to choose which leads to salvation is the Lord Jesus?  Yet Ye did not choose Me, but I chose you! 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  7

Yes, but those choices aren't necessarily achievable for the person to make a freewill choice, which is why I think the examples in your response to Godsmercyinus confused free will with ability. 

If you've ever failed at something then that would be an example of where you willed to do something without being able to do it, or would you disagree?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,431
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes, but those choices aren't necessarily achievable for the person to make a freewill choice, which is why I think the examples in your response to Godsmercyinus confused free will with ability. 

If you've ever failed at something then that would be an example of where you willed to do something without being able to do it, or would you disagree?

I don't think the unable part is true- it is the going about in the wrong ways to arrive at something rather than the limitation of inability!

Phil 4:13

13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

KJV

Love, Steven

I don't think the unable part is true- it is the going about in the wrong ways to arrive at something rather than the limitation of inability!

KJV

Love, Steven

Well, Steven (one crowned with the victor's wreath):

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

As you must know. the complementary is "Apart from Me, ye can do nothing."

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,431
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

KJV

Love, Steven

Well, Steven (one crowned with the victor's wreath):

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

As you must know. the complementary is "Apart from Me, ye can do nothing."

Finding complete sufficiency in Him by unity of New Birth, New Life s(Spirit) in a New Heaven and Earth unto eternity...

yet now the completion of His Perfect Word in an imperfect place for the presentation in fullness of His Glory so rightly deserved!

Love, Steven

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Im of the opinion that the only 'free' will is the will of God. For nothing causes God to will other than Himself.    Man has a will, but it certainly isn't free.  

Mans will is besieged by things out of its control.  Forcing upon it a decision if it was free, it wouldn't have to make, or many times wouldn't want to make.

For example:   Two of your children are drowning but are so far apart that you can only swim to one and resucue them.  You have to choose.   You have a will, but it is not free.  The situations surrounding you dictate a decision.  

And God controls those situations around you.

Quantrill