IGNORED

Does the bible say anything about a chuch requiring....

childofgod101388

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Does the bible (anywhere within) say anything about requiring people to "join" or become members? I mean is it REQUIRED that a church have "members"? Could there be a church where it doesn't require people to "join" but maybe give info slip to fill out to those who want to be in the mailing and emailing programs? I'd like to think we're all children of god and we didn't have to sign up for anything to be that.. I'd like to believe that anyone that is welcomed into a church should be given an equal chance but it seems every church I go to frowns upon people willing to participate and help that aren't members. That's like saying if you dont have blonde hair you can't get your hair cut in our salon. It seems to me that churches now days are focusing more on themselves and politics than pleasing the Lord at all costs. Having Faith... That's what it's about. "Having Faith that the Lord". So often today I see "members" of churches even pastors replacing the Lord in that statement with material objects. God doesn't care what color my hair is or how wellI can sing or if I am a member of aa church as long as imnIN church worshipping HIM and HIM alone. Right!?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/05/1959

No.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I would say no...however, there should be a requirement for a person to truly identify with Christ by their actions and person.  I have seen a few disasters where a new person

has been taken on as staff or worship leader or whatever and they only cause problems.

No one should have carte blanche to active participation the moment they walk in the door, other than congregational worship and participation in regular Church functions IMO

Often, the person who does just walk in, look around and decide the church needs their 'help' is the one who is going to ...ahem...cause difficulties...God's little helper syndrome  ^_^

Not what I was implying. I was saying everyone should be equally allowed the chance to participate. By help I mean like say they have a dinner service and everyone is asked to bring something. Well ive seen churches tell people you cant come if you're not a member or if you dont bring something. I love to cook and I think it only appropriate I share my passion and gifts God gave me with others. I love to sing and I've been told several times that I had to have talent to be allowed to sing and basically said I'd have to audition and that someone who isn't musically talented wouldn't please God. (Keep in mind this was said by a pastor of the church) That's what I mean. I am invited nto a friends church because they want me to sing for them and then the pastor says I have to be a member to participate in stuff within the church. Was my que to get up and leave. Make sense?

okay....

well I think not being able to attend a dinner if you are not a member is kinda whacky...it would be an ideal time to get to know people better, right?

I never heard of that one before...

Again, with reference to your question about wondering whether membership is a requirement that is ordered by scripture, i would say no.

However, the Bible is very instructional regarding those in leadership or in service, so I can only reiterate what I said before....people who just want to do something

in a church can create problems and better to prevent that then have to do damage control.

There were people in scripture we can read about that caused problems and that is why letters were written to counter those things and provide instruction on how

churches should conduct themselves.  Really, anyone could walk in and say I have this or that ministry and create a mess.

I am invited nto a friends church because they want me to sing for them and then the pastor says I have to be a member to participate in stuff within the church. Was my que to get up and leave. Make sense? 

I understand.  I don't think the Pastor said something wrong if that is how that particular church is functioning.  That would not be a reason to leave.

I think you mistook me. I meant I decided to leave when they said I had have talent to please God. I guess I did word it wrong and for the confusion I apologize. I was more or less asking because my mom and I were interested in finding someone around here who would be willing to paster a successful church WITHOUT a members policy.It's just something we were pondering.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Not what I was implying. I was saying everyone should be equally allowed the chance to participate. By help I mean like say they have a dinner service and everyone is asked to bring something. Well ive seen churches tell people you cant come if you're not a member or if you dont bring something. I love to cook and I think it only appropriate I share my passion and gifts God gave me with others.

I'd just be like, "MORE FOR ME"!!

And YOUR LOSS!

(heh heh)

I think you mistook me. I meant I decided to leave when they said I had have talent to please God. I guess I did word it wrong and for the confusion I apologize. I was more or less asking because my mom and I were interested in finding someone around here who would be willing to paster a successful church WITHOUT a members policy.It's just something we were pondering.

OK   ...  I'm still not sure I misunderstood you, but that's OK...you might find what you are interested in, in a home group?

In my experience, most churches require membership.

Well, I guess you will gain more experience as you look around... :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My wife and I attend a Nazarene church and we are not members, and they let me even teach Sunday School when our regular teacher is not of town....   actually I doubt half the people there even realize that we are not members.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

You do not "join" the church, you are (re)born into it!