IGNORED

Does the bible say anything about a chuch requiring....

childofgod101388

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You do not "join" the church, you are (re)born into it!

Good point, however I think there really is more than one meaning in this instance if I understand the OP questions.   I'm with you concerning "The" Church, but some places I've attended such as the last Baptist Church there were a lot of things within the church that only Members could do...   Bringing food to a gathering was definitely not one of them though.  We do have special parties that only our Sunday School members are invited to, but one would not have to be a member of our local Church to attend, just come to class.

I can't really fathom ever attending a church that does the things the OP suggests they are doing.....  I would definately go church shopping for a different kind of group for they don't seem like followers of Jesus to me.....

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings childofGod,

No,there is nothing of the sort anywhere in the Bible to answer your question straight forward......& we are all His church,those of us joined together in the unity of the faith of the knowledge of our Lord & Savior,Christ Jesus...One Body,His Radiant Bride!

The congregation of all the places of gathering for praise & worship and the hearing of His Word are also (hopefully His church).....But I know exactly what you mean,I too have had very similar experiences with some "churches" & that tells me to either move on or perhaps God will use you as a shining light?With much prayer & guidance of the Holy Spirit ,the Lord recently revealed to me by something I was required by Him to in 3 different churches and that His members & mans "members "were 2 different things......I said in my prayer,"But Lord?How do I present this to these pastors?"........He laid it on my heart to"just go & tell them what I said".....I went to all 3 pastors,got all of their blessings & some things of this nature have changed,praise & glory to God

One person can make a big difference if it be Gods Will,we serve a big God-lol    God gave you a beautiful talent to Worship & Glorify Him....He will use you where He wants to!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

You do not "join" the church, you are (re)born into it!

Good point, however I think there really is more than one meaning in this instance if I understand the OP questions.   I'm with you concerning "The" Church, but some places I've attended such as the last Baptist Church there were a lot of things within the church that only Members could do...   Bringing food to a gathering was definitely not one of them though.  We do have special parties that only our Sunday School members are invited to, but one would not have to be a member of our local Church to attend, just come to class.

I can't really fathom ever attending a church that does the things the OP suggests they are doing.....  I would definately go church shopping for a different kind of group for they don't seem like followers of Jesus to me.....

That's funny, I cant fathom going to a church that does those things... My church doesn't have membership and I really don't understand what it all is lol. Why is it necessary? I think we get along fine

Guest shiloh357

There are two really good reasons for joining a church.  Firstly is that it is a public identification with Jesus' followers. Anyone can come in, sit in the back and leave when the service is over. But when you join a church you are making a public profession that you, as a Christ follower, have chosen to identify yourself with other Christ followers of like mind.

Secondly, Heb. 13  and I Thess. tells us that we are to submit to our leaders and to respect them and esteem them highly.  There is a strong indication that we are to commit ourselves to the leaders over the congregations.

The Bible also does not command Christians to have wedding ceremonies, but what would our commit to a spouse look like if we decided we didn't feel we needed to participate in "joining" ourselves to that person through a wedding?   How would someone feel if the person they loved didn't want to go through the wedding ceremony or any kind of "wedding" for that matter on the grounds that it isn't in the Bible?

Just like the wedding, joining a church is a point of contact with other people and it says that you identify and commit yourself to them and to the work of the church.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Does the bible (anywhere within) say anything about requiring people to "join" or become members? I mean is it REQUIRED that a church have "members"? Could there be a church where it doesn't require people to "join" but maybe give info slip to fill out to those who want to be in the mailing and emailing programs? I'd like to think we're all children of god and we didn't have to sign up for anything to be that.. I'd like to believe that anyone that is welcomed into a church should be given an equal chance but it seems every church I go to frowns upon people willing to participate and help that aren't members. That's like saying if you dont have blonde hair you can't get your hair cut in our salon. It seems to me that churches now days are focusing more on themselves and politics than pleasing the Lord at all costs. Having Faith... That's what it's about. "Having Faith that the Lord". So often today I see "members" of churches even pastors replacing the Lord in that statement with material objects. God doesn't care what color my hair is or how wellI can sing or if I am a member of aa church as long as imnIN church worshipping HIM and HIM alone. Right!?

First, welcome to the forums childofgod101388 :thumbsup:

Second, God loves you dearly and cares about you tremendously. 

Third, a few questions:

You said: "I'd like to think we're all children of god and we didn't have to sign up for anything to be that.." So you aren't misunderstood a couple of questions... Do you mean everyone who believes in Jesus Christ and is adopted into God's family is a child of God? Or do you mean all human beings?

You said: "I'd like to believe that anyone that is welcomed into a church should be given an equal chance but it seems every church I go to frowns upon people willing to participate and help that aren't members." So from other posts on the thread I take it you wanted to participate in helping out with music by singing but the pastor wouldn't let you because you weren't a member? The same pastor also said you had to be musically talented to help out with the music? Is this correct?

Welcome again. :) God bless you.

In Christ,

Jon/GE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

There are two really good reasons for joining a church.  Firstly is that it is a public identification with Jesus' followers. Anyone can come in, sit in the back and leave when the service is over. But when you join a church you are making a public profession that you, as a Christ follower, have chosen to identify yourself with other Christ followers of like mind.

Secondly, Heb. 13  and I Thess. tells us that we are to submit to our leaders and to respect them and esteem them highly.  There is a strong indication that we are to commit ourselves to the leaders over the congregations.

The Bible also does not command Christians to have wedding ceremonies, but what would our commit to a spouse look like if we decided we didn't feel we needed to participate in "joining" ourselves to that person through a wedding?   How would someone feel if the person they loved didn't want to go through the wedding ceremony or any kind of "wedding" for that matter on the grounds that it isn't in the Bible?

Just like the wedding, joining a church is a point of contact with other people and it says that you identify and commit yourself to them and to the work of the church.

I am not sure what "joining" means. I found my church about 12 years ago, started attending, got slowly involved with home groups, men's breakfasts, etc, prayer meetings, and then was invited to join the leadership. I did not sign anything, or "join" officially, I just kind of grew into my church.

As to singing. With all due respect we have seen many people want to join worship because they can "sing", and we have had some real disasters. Most of our talented worship people also grew out of the church over time. When you have someone singing next to you for a few years you know if they can sing or not.

And it's not about pleasing God with our melodious tones, it's about having mercy on the congregation...... (my wife has the voice of an angel and sings in our worship team, me I sound like a frog with a cold.) But God loves our worship equally. He inhabits the praises of His people....

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  73

I had already been baptized at one church and after I rededicated myself at the new church and they swore I had to be baptized again. That it was their rule. I don't really believe that was necessary. Caused more anxiety for me anyways. I'm helping coach my nephews basketball team at church. Literally speaking they want you to be an active member of their church to participate. I have been told before that I wasn't allowed to serve. They said they needed help coaching so I stepped up. I'm sure not every coach out there attends that church in particular, but if you need the help that badly then you can't be picky. On top of that they did national back ground checks before you could help.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  73

Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly,fn not for dishonest gain but eagerly; 1Peter 5:2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Even those who were teaching me that all of you guys were going to hell???

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

My wife and I attend a Nazarene church and we are not members, and they let me even teach Sunday School when our regular teacher is not of town.... actually I doubt half the people there even realize that we are not members.

Nazarene was a choice I had. I liked it but the only one around here was kinda bland.