IGNORED

Does the bible say anything about a chuch requiring....

childofgod101388

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There are two really good reasons for joining a church. Firstly is that it is a public identification with Jesus' followers. Anyone can come in, sit in the back and leave when the service is over. But when you join a church you are making a public profession that you, as a Christ follower, have chosen to identify yourself with other Christ followers of like mind.

Secondly, Heb. 13 and I Thess. tells us that we are to submit to our leaders and to respect them and esteem them highly. There is a strong indication that we are to commit ourselves to the leaders over the congregations.

Even those who were teaching me that all of you guys were going to hell???

What is that even supposed to mean...?

Guest AFlameOfFire

I will never become a member that way myself. But I have not interested in always participating in or identifying along with the same in some of the things they might.

Elders or not, there are some clueless elders too.

I would prefer rather to be the sit in the back kind of goer, to make the head count and leave now, but particpate when the Lord opens the door to allow it where your heart feels moved to.

For example, if someone had a need and the other members (the ones found written in the churches filing cabinent) arent meeting it, a non member (or such a one not written in the same) could feel moved to meet it (without any assignment from anyone) but the Holy Ghost.

Besides, who is really going to stop anothers willing participation in the most of legitimate of helps? That verses how someone might shut them off (or even out from) participating in things of far lesser importance. By that I mean, being part of the decorating committee (or something similarly tacky). Which might include taking charge of decorating the place with colored papers and tons of scotch tape for whatever holiday is coming. Or  being a participant in praising the Lord at the right hand of other members on a big stage (as a chior) verses praising the same Lord from your seat? Those types of things, which are neither here nor there. But are often held out as the "pluses"... "and you too can play along and be reccognized , if you join our little club". Which things are typically highly coveted member benefits arent they? LOL

Jump on one foot for us (and repeat after us)

(no wait)... we mean get wet a fourth time (in our water) for us (again repeating after us)

They all do that pretty much dont they? LOL

I highly doubt any of themselves (being members) will turn down a check cut out to themselves by a far more generous non member when such help is the most needed. Or  even in the case of a non member who might offer to look after you (or another) when no one else (all being members) has even offered.

Seems like lots of times members of "whichever group" get assigned these self benefiting type jobs (if thats what they are called). Or those which make them feel more like a part of their group in alot of places, but when it come down to the legitimate work (or that which has more of a consequence)  they are no where to be found sometimes.

So I dont see how non members suffer any at all, but seem to get out of the lesser stuff alot. But as with every group/click there are little perks within each camp which seem to make each one (who clicked in) feel a sense of importance to the whole.

Non members wouldnt typically be rejected (when it come to true participation) in things which matter far more though. And basically because dont folks typically disapear in what matters more anyway? Like anything more then colored papers, scotch tape, and singing a song on stage type stuff? 

So if someone has a true cry for help (in which things we are to serve) and a non member has the means to and show up for the work (or participation) to do good. No one is really going to ask if they are a card carrying member where (and when) the rubber is meeting the road in a such a thing.

Ive seen weird stuff in the name if Jesus but it was really in the name of dominance or control. And was really about having power over others and even manipulating people against others in the way they are known to do that often.

I sure wouldnt stone non paper members even I broke down and got me a paper membership myself, the Holy Spirit makes someone a member of the body of Christ, thats not a written in pen and ink membership

But if folks need to know them (of Billybob's, or of Johnboy's) body of Christ, and even by their paper membership cards (where both of which) validate their members of their 4rth and 5th baptisms (so as to be true) in each of these guys names, I do understand LOL

I  think bout that too, now if I go here (to this place) I might need to get wet again, and express my faithlessness in so doing ...so let me see...lol  Where can I go and be left alone, and let things go in one ear and out the other when they teaching error?  lol

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I will never become a member that way myself. But I have not interested in always participating in or identifying along with the same in some of the things they might.

Elders or not, there are some clueless elders too.

I would prefer rather to be the sit in the back kind of goer, to make the head count and leave now, but particpate when the Lord opens the door to allow it where your heart feels moved to.

For example, if someone had a need and the other members (the ones found written in the churches filing cabinent) arent meeting it, a non member (or such a one not written in the same) could feel moved to meet it (without any assignment from anyone) but the Holy Ghost.

Besides, who is really going to stop anothers willing participation in the most of legitimate of helps? That verses how someone might shut them off (or even out from) participating in things of far lesser importance. By that I mean, being part of the decorating committee (or something similarly tacky). Which might include taking charge of decorating the place with colored papers and tons of scotch tape for whatever holiday is coming. Or being a participant in praising the Lord at the right hand of other members on a big stage (as a chior) verses praising the same Lord from your seat? Those types of things, which are neither here nor there. But are often held out as the "pluses"... "and you too can play along and be reccognized , if you join our little club". Which things are typically highly coveted member benefits arent they? LOL

Jump on one foot for us (and repeat after us)

(no wait)... we mean get wet a fourth time (in our water) for us (again repeating after us)

They all do that pretty much dont they? LOL

I highly doubt any of themselves (being members) will turn down a check cut out to themselves by a far more generous non member when such help is the most needed. Or even in the case of a non member who might offer to look after you (or another) when no one else (all being members) has even offered.

Seems like lots of times members of "whichever group" get assigned these self benefiting type jobs (if thats what they are called). Or those which make them feel more like a part of their group in alot of places, but when it come down to the legitimate work (or that which has more of a consequence) they are no where to be found sometimes.

So I dont see how non members suffer any at all, but seem to get out of the lesser stuff alot. But as with every group/click there are little perks within each camp which seem to make each one (who clicked in) feel a sense of importance to the whole.

Non members wouldnt typically be rejected (when it come to true participation) in things which matter far more though. And basically because dont folks typically disapear in what matters more anyway? Like anything more then colored papers, scotch tape, and singing a song on stage type stuff?

So if someone has a true cry for help (in which things we are to serve) and a non member has the means to and show up for the work (or participation) to do good. No one is really going to ask if they are a card carrying member where (and when) the rubber is meeting the road in a such a thing.

Ive seen weird stuff in the name if Jesus but it was really in the name of dominance or control. And was really about having power over others and even manipulating people against others in the way they are known to do that often.

I sure wouldnt stone non paper members even I broke down and got me a paper membership myself, the Holy Spirit makes someone a member of the body of Christ, thats not a written in pen and ink membership

But if folks need to know them (of Billybob's, or of Johnboy's) body of Christ, and even by their paper membership cards (where both of which) validate their members of their 4rth and 5th baptisms (so as to be true) in each of these guys names, I do understand LOL

I think bout that too, now if I go here (to this place) I might need to get wet again, and express my faithlessness in so doing ...so let me see...lol Where can I go and be left alone, and let things go in one ear and out the other when they teaching error? lol

Thank you. I wish there was a "like" button on here. That was perfect.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Thank you. I wish there was a "like" button on here. That was perfect.

There's a little green arrow at the end of posts. Most people don't use it though. A response like this works too :thumbsup:

Some churches do not place a strong emphasis on formal membership. As a result a lot of the people who regularly attend the services are attenders rather than members. This means they have never made an explicit commitment to the policies and practices of the church.

I. Church Discipline

This can possibly cause leaders to find themselves in an awkward position when an attender becomes entangled in serious sin. If leaders attempt to minister to an attender as though he were a member, there is the possibility of facing serious lawsuits. On the other hand if they decline to confront sinful conduct (or even warn others of the sin) the attender generally continues in his or her destructive behavior and often goes on to negative influence others people. In either case, God is dishonored and the body of Christ suffers.

II. Thoughts on Church Membership and Scripture

While there are no Biblical passages that mandate formal church membership, I believe the Biblical description of the church by implication supports the concept of a formal membership commitment. For example here are three pertinent ideas to the conversation:

A. Jesus assumes that the local church would be a specific congregation with a ruling body having authority to include members by baptism (Matt. 28:19) and to exclude them by removal from membership (Matt. 18:17-20). Take the example of 1 Cor. 5 for example.

B. Believers are called to submit to their leaders (Heb. 13:17, 1 Thess. 5:12-13), and leaders are called to look out for the interests of and pastor the people God has placed in their care (Heb. 13:17, 1 Pet. 5:1-4, Acts 20:28-30).

C. Scripture presents the Church on more than one occasion as a body made up of many parts that are joined together into a single unit (1 Cor. 12:12-30; Rom. 12:3-8).

I believe all of this would be without meaning or at best ineffective if churches encouraged Believers to “church hop” casually from church to church, picking and choosing what they will believe or do at any given moment. This I believe leads superficial relationships, so-called “island” Christians, and lack of accountability. This contributes to ineffective witness, the horrible divorce rate even among Believers, and overall weakness of the church in our time.

(Cont.)

III. Legal Issues

Further, church membership is generally viewed by the courts as being a matter of contract, whereby members freely choose to associate with a particular church community and in doing so accept the benefits and duties of that association.

A church can face difficult legal liabilities if it tries to exercise jurisdiction or impose church discipline on non-members. Since non-members didn’t consent towards confidentiality, counseling, disciplinary action, or conflict resolution guidelines/rules set forth by a church the said church can face a lawsuit if any of said information is divulged regarding a non-member. Lawsuits can also arise when counseling be it pastoral or by an elder fails to meet the expectation of a non-member. The biggest issue is legal problems that arise when leaders confront non-members about sinful conduct (read homosexuality, adultery, fornication, etc.) and notify another church of the conduct which the member “hops to” to avoid further confrontation.

When a person joins a church the implication is they have accepted the church’s jurisdiction and consented to the policies. This is true even if they haven’t even read all of them as long as the policies aren’t unusual or contrary to public policies.

IV. Ways people Join

There are generally 4 ways to establish church membership: membership class, membership interview, declaration of membership, and written commitment. Some churches use one or a combination of a variety of these.

While I don’t judge any church who has no formal membership policy I’ve never been a regular attender of a church that didn’t have a membership policy. I think at the minimum it’s a good idea. :thumbsup:

Food for thought.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Does the bible (anywhere within) say anything about requiring people to "join" or become members? I mean is it REQUIRED that a church have "members"? Could there be a church where it doesn't require people to "join" but maybe give info slip to fill out to those who want to be in the mailing and emailing programs? I'd like to think we're all children of god and we didn't have to sign up for anything to be that.. I'd like to believe that anyone that is welcomed into a church should be given an equal chance but it seems every church I go to frowns upon people willing to participate and help that aren't members. That's like saying if you dont have blonde hair you can't get your hair cut in our salon. It seems to me that churches now days are focusing more on themselves and politics than pleasing the Lord at all costs. Having Faith... That's what it's about. "Having Faith that the Lord". So often today I see "members" of churches even pastors replacing the Lord in that statement with material objects. God doesn't care what color my hair is or how wellI can sing or if I am a member of aa church as long as imnIN church worshipping HIM and HIM alone. Right!?

I'll answer in three different ways.

1. When a person becomes a Christian, a believer, born again, a member or leader in the church baptises the person. The baptism serves several purposes. Of course one is the symbolic death, burial and resurrection which shows what has happened to the person. Another is the person who agrees to baptize, recognizes the person as having been born again and resurrected in a new life, becoming part of the body of Messiah, so the body recognizes the person as now being a member of the body. At the same time, to be recognized, the person gives a testimony of their faith in Jesus, satisfying the command that a person believes in their heart and confesses with their mouth, that Jesus is Lord. That also happens as a part of baptism.

2. The assembly of the saints, which we call the Church, is for the saints and the training of saints. Although scripture says that some have snuck in unaware to believers, the gathering is for training of saints, sharing of saint, praying for each other, encouraging each other, etc. So, this assembly is not really for unbelievers, and therefore, a person is to be recognized or known as a believer before being a part of the assembly. While some do sneak in unaware to us, that doesn't mean that we are to allow people to sneak into the assembly.

3. The final statement has more to do with rules in the U.S.A. For an assembly/church to be recognized as a church and to receive loans from banks for building, etc., the assembly must prove a certain number of committed members, so, in modern days, a membership is sometimes needed. 

4. The leadership is responsible to make sure what is ministered and taught is biblical. Before a person is allowed to minister or teach, leadership should be knowledgable about what the person believes, that the person is committed to serving Jesus, that the person will not teach or promote heresy. And finally, that the person is not a new believer who is taking on a position or serving in an area they are not yet ready for.

I have heard some other reasons given for membership which I do not think are real reasons.

1. I have heard some in leadership claim that since they are responsible for those who they are to lead, that membership is a way of identifying to whom they are responsible. I have always found that to be problematic, as a person who attends regularly for a time but is not a member, they are also responsible for teaching them and helping them grow into whatever their calling is.  

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/28/1967

How many churches did Jesus go in, sit down, and get comfortable in?

Which church was HE a member of?

God bless

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

No that that is not a Christian requirement.