IGNORED

christians and non-believers with worry...

desi2007

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Unfortunately, most of us do worry about things like that, in spite of the fact Jesus said not to.  The only thing this indicates to me is lack of faith. 

I believe, rather, that Jesus told us not to worry because He knows we need hope and encouragement to hang on to Him, making the effort to trust He will take care of us. The word is meant to set us free when we feel afraid and anxious, not condemn us when we fail.

If we believe that trials are meant to make us grow, then we should know there will be trials that will stretch our faith, which does mean that we will yet again have to overcome worry.

As a non Christian, and in fact non religious, just like everyone else we do worry and get anxiety just as anyone else. And yes, contrary I guess to some views, there is a moral code for us non believers. I think the atheist (which I am not) position is there is no absolute moral code.

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Most Folk Step On It

What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written:

“So that you may be proved right when you speak

and prevail when you judge.” Romans 3:3-4 (NIV)

Some Step Through It

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” Romans 1:16-17 (ESV)

~

Wise Guy

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent, and revealed them to little children. Matthew 11:25 (NASB)

Are You Really

Yes, Father, for this was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son decides to reveal him. Matthew 11:26-27 (NASB)

All That

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)

Wise

“The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand. “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:35-36 (NASB)

Love, Joe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I asked because some of the responses gave the impression that a real Christian never worries or that the person writing the post is above worry.

So, my question does relate to the OP. Check for logs in your own eye first, then respond.

"Lets discuss why christians are just as guilty with worry and anxiety as non-believers?"

Ask first, "Do I worry, have I worried?" If the answer is yes, then ask yourself, "Why do I worry?" Then answer the question presented.

I say, yes, I have worried. Do I overcome that worry by trusting in the Lord and surrendering the circumstances to Him? I make the effort, but I fail so, so very often.

If someone here can claim they likewise do not have this struggle, then please share your story with examples how you have become Teflon to worry.

And that takes an active faith. 

Bad thing happens. I fret over what is going on. Then I remind myself Im a Christian and to give it over to the Lord. Sometimes I fail. But giving it over to Him is what we are supposed to do.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

OK I confess to having once been a chronic worrier. There are certain scriptures that I have practicly memorized because I have lived in and leaned on them so much, applying them to my circumstances. The whole chapters help, but some (default NKJV) highlights are:

Psalms 34, I sought the Lord and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.

Psalms 37 Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret, it leads only to evildoing (NASV)

Matthew 6:19-34 Store up treasures in heaven

Father takes care of the birds but we are of more value than they

The lilies of the field--O you of little faith

Your heavenly Father knows you have need of all these

Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you.

Don't worry about tomorrow--Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Philippeans 4:5-9 Rejoice in the Lord always--The Lord is at hand!!!!

Be anxious for nothing----with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God;

And the peace of God, which passes understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally brethern, meditate on GOOD stuff, even if it means to turn off the news and bury the newspaper. (My paraphrase.)

These do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your manner of life be without love of money, being satisfied with your present circumstances. For He himself has said, and the statement is on record, I will not, I will not cease to sustain you and uphold you. I will not, I will not, I will not let your down. So that, being of good courage we are saying, The Lord is my helper. I will not fear, what can man do to me? Wuest, Amp., ALT3 agree.

(The empasis in the Greek is not usually fully translated.)

Romans 8: 26-39 (Pray earnestly from the heart with the help of the Holy Spirit); He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

All things work for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

If God is for us, who can be against us. It is Christ, who died, and furthermore is risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

In all these things we are more than conquerers through Him who loved us.

(Nothing) shall serperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And so, once again I preach to myself. Thank you for the reminder, folks. These passages bring much peace to the soul, especially the Phil. Passage about praying with thanksgiving, remembering all answered prayers and the promises mentioned above. Then, to train my mind to meditate on positive stuff. I can get in such a rut of moaning and complaining, worrying about Target sending me a notice that my personal info may have been stolen, and about my root canal that I have on Wednesday. But God is so good to help me get my eyes back on Him Who is my hope and my strength. His love surely does cast out all fear and fill me with His rejoicing. The LORD is at hand! It is the enemy who tries to steal my joy and destroy my effectiveness in the lives of others by weighing me down with the cares of this life and with worry.