IGNORED

To cover or not to cover ?

Izzel

Head covering   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christian women cover their heads ?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  514
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/07/1989

1 Thessalonians 5:21

King James Version (KJV)

21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

There are several views  on the text, 

(1) This text has no applicability to us today. Paul is speaking about a ‘tradition’ that he has handed on. Hence, since this is not the tradition of the modern church, we hardly need to consider this text.

(2) The head covering is the hair. Hence, the applicability today is that women should wear (relatively) long hair.

(3) The head covering is a real head covering and the text is applicable today, in the same way as it was in Paul’s day. 

But which is it really there is only one answer and how do we know which one ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

King James Version (KJV)

(1) This text has no applicability to us today. Paul is speaking about a ‘tradition’ that he has handed on. Hence, since this is not the tradition of the modern church, we hardly need to consider this text.

(2) The head covering is the hair. Hence, the applicability today is that women should wear (relatively) long hair.

(3) The head covering is a real head covering and the text is applicable today, in the same way as it was in Paul’s day. 

I would say whatever the Holy Spirit convicts one of....  that's the way we should go....

The head covering is a real head covering and the text is applicable today, in the same way as it was in Paul’s day. 

The headcovering distinct from the hair  Verses five and six make it clear that the covering is distinct from the hair. Paul states in verse six that if the woman is without the headcovering during prayer or prophecy, she should also be shorn. The force of the text states that if she is without a covering over her hair, she is dishonouring her head just as much as she would be dishonoured if she were shaven-headed. The shame is no less. If we were to assume that the headcovering of the woman is her hair, verse six would have to read "For if a woman has no hair, let her also be shorn", which is ridiculous.

Verse five would also make no sense and would have to be read, "Every woman praying or prophesying with a shaven head dishonours her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven." Why would Paul say that a shaven-headed woman praying or prophesying brings dishonour to her head just as much as if she were shaven? Of course this would make no sense. It is true that the long hair of the woman is a natural covering for her head (verse 15). Paul draws on the fact that a woman feels instinctively shamed without having a natural covering for her head (the hair).

Pointing to their natural sense of shame if they were shaven-headed in day-to-day life, Paul presses the point that it is just as much of a shame for her to be without a physical headcovering when praying or prophesying

Guest Butero

I hope I am not out of line for saying this, but isn't this conversation about majoring in the minors? One of the things Jesus often spoke about was looking at the letter of the word and missing the heart of the message. Isn't the heart of the message here that each of us should always pray and seek the Lord from a position of submission to one another and God. As long as we are doing all things from a pure heart, being submitted to God, does it really matter? Isn't the message that Paul is giving in this verse about remaining submitted in all situations for men and women both? It's easy to see the flesh, but it's the heart that must submit first, and it's God that sees the heart. May the Holy Spirit of God guide and teach you all in Jesus name.

Firestormx

Someone asked a question about it, and everyone is trying to answer it according to their own beliefs and knowledge on the subject.  Nobody is majoring in anything.  It is a question about a specific topic.  I am certainly not placing this on the same level as killing someone, committing adultery or stealing.  It is not even called a sin.  At the same time, I try to follow the teaching of the Bible to the best of my ability.  If someone asks me about a particular subject, I try to answer the question.  In this case, it was whether to cover or not to cover your head?  I personally try to keep my hair very short in submission to what is taught in 1 Corinthians.  Some people choose to be contentious, and ignore what is taught, and this is one case where the Bible says they are free to do so.  I just don't personally understand why you would do that? 

King James Version (KJV)

I would say whatever the Holy Spirit convicts one of....  that's the way we should go....

Alot of people say the Holy Spirit convict them to this and that but there is only one Holy Spirit that leads into the truth alone  :mgcheerful:

Guest Butero

The head covering is a real head covering and the text is applicable today, in the same way as it was in Paul’s day. 

The headcovering distinct from the hair  Verses five and six make it clear that the covering is distinct from the hair. Paul states in verse six that if the woman is without the headcovering during prayer or prophecy, she should also be shorn. The force of the text states that if she is without a covering over her hair, she is dishonouring her head just as much as she would be dishonoured if she were shaven-headed. The shame is no less. If we were to assume that the headcovering of the woman is her hair, verse six would have to read "For if a woman has no hair, let her also be shorn", which is ridiculous.

Verse five would also make no sense and would have to be read, "Every woman praying or prophesying with a shaven head dishonours her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven." Why would Paul say that a shaven-headed woman praying or prophesying brings dishonour to her head just as much as if she were shaven? Of course this would make no sense. It is true that the long hair of the woman is a natural covering for her head (verse 15). Paul draws on the fact that a woman feels instinctively shamed without having a natural covering for her head (the hair).

Pointing to their natural sense of shame if they were shaven-headed in day-to-day life, Paul presses the point that it is just as much of a shame for her to be without a physical headcovering when praying or prophesying

Verse 15 makes it absolutely clear that the woman's long hair is her covering.  It is not speaking of a veil.

But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her;  for her hair is given her for a covering.

The Greek word for covering means a veil.  The long hair acts as her veil. 

Guest Butero

King James Version (KJV)

Alot of people say the Holy Spirit convict them to this and that but there is only one Holy Spirit that leads into the truth alone  :mgcheerful:

That is a good point.  I believe I get answers from the Holy Spirit, and someone else with the exact opposite interpretation will claim they got their interpretation from the Holy Spirit.  There can only be one right answer. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Butero,

What I meant by majoring in the minors was that it is not a salvation issue. I have never read in the bible where if a women doesn't have long hair she is doomed to hell. Jesus did not teach that people should just blindly follow a list of rules of do's and don'ts. But from the heart serve God. Including being in submission to him at all times for men and women both. Paul in these verse is advising the people at Corinth on a specific issue. Let me flip it around to get my point across. How about we ask the question this way.

Can a women with Short or No hair ( like a cancer patient for example ) Be fully submitted to her husband and God and be fully saved?

I don't know any women with short frizzy hair, but if I did, I would suggest they wear a veil or a wig or never cut their short frizzy hair and let it grow as long as possible. That is what I would do if I was a woman with short frizzy hair.

Buteuro,

I have to tell you this - I laughed so hard when I re- read this last night that it got me out of my low flat feeling yesterday :)

I had the strangest mind picture Lol!!

God IS good!

Guest Butero

Butero,

What I meant by majoring in the minors was that it is not a salvation issue. I have never read in the bible where if a women doesn't have long hair she is doomed to hell. Jesus did not teach that people should just blindly follow a list of rules of do's and don'ts. But from the heart serve God. Including being in submission to him at all times for men and women both. Paul in these verse is advising the people at Corinth on a specific issue. Let me flip it around to get my point across. How about we ask the question this way.

Can a women with Short or No hair ( like a cancer patient for example ) Be fully submitted to her husband and God and be fully saved?

If it isn't important, and has no value, why did God choose to include it in the Bible?  The Bible, which contains all the knowledge we have about God and doctrine, only contains 66 books, and within that relatively small volume, it includes this teaching on hair.  As such, I choose to pay attention to it.  I have stated repeatedly it is not a salvation issue, so those who wish to be contentious are free to do so.  I would just say that if you are capable of following it, do so.  If you don't want to, be contentious.