• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Always remember that when dialoging with opposing religions, atheists and evolutionists.

They are riddled in THEORIES.  They trust their Professors and trust in the opinions of certain groups.  But a theory is a theory is a theory ... it's STILL a theory.  A commonly accepted theory ... is still a theory.  Carbon dating itself is a THEORY due to all the considerations, like atmosphere, etc.  Nothing has a date tag attached to it.

That's it.  That's all I got for you in this.  It's a CORE PRINCIPLE that you all can build upon yourselves.

The antichrist will cause them to believe the lie.

A theory is a good thing to be in science. It means it has been peer-reviewed and the evidence scrutinized and it has predictive value. Gravity is only a theory, but you would't want to jump off a building to test it. If you have a theory you are particularly unhappy with, the science community would be ecstatic to see you disprove it (as theories cannot be proven).

I wasn't aware that gravity was a theory. I thought in science it was recognised as a law because it has been proven and equations can be calculated to measure it.

Evolution however, now that IS just a theory!

Always remember that when dialoging with opposing religions, atheists and evolutionists.

They are riddled in THEORIES.  They trust their Professors and trust in the opinions of certain groups.  But a theory is a theory is a theory ... it's STILL a theory.  A commonly accepted theory ... is still a theory.  Carbon dating itself is a THEORY due to all the considerations, like atmosphere, etc.  Nothing has a date tag attached to it.

That's it.  That's all I got for you in this.  It's a CORE PRINCIPLE that you all can build upon yourselves.

The antichrist will cause them to believe the lie.

A theory is a good thing to be in science. It means it has been peer-reviewed and the evidence scrutinized and it has predictive value. Gravity is only a theory, but you wouldn't want to jump off a building to test it. If you have a theory you are particularly unhappy with, the science community would be ecstatic to see you disprove it (as theories cannot be proven).

I wasn't aware that gravity was a theory. I thought in science it was recognized as a law because it has been proven and equations can be calculated to measure it.

Evolution however, now that IS just a theory!

:thumbsup:

It's

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

The Law

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Romans 3:23-28

See?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

I wasn't aware that gravity was a theory.

Common mistake.  Proofs are only valid in math.  There are laws of gravity, but the mechanics of why those laws behave the way they do is theory.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

In the OP there was a reference to other religions. I wouldn't say that theories is the correct term here. Better to leave it at religion or to some degree worldview.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Common mistake.  Proofs are only valid in math.  There are laws of gravity, but the mechanics of why those laws behave the way they do is theory.

No, it's not a mistake. Gravity is not a theory. A quantum theory for gravity is, but not gravity itself. If you're going to go down that line then everything in science is a theory because once you get down to reasons behind reasons, well..... where does it finish?

In the OP there was a reference to other religions.

I wouldn't say that theories are the correct term here.

Better to leave it at religion

or to some degree

worldview.

:thumbsup:

Some Religions Are Found Cloaked Deep Within The Study Of Dirt

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

Where The Conviction Is Stuff Has (Given Time)

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

The Innate Property To Go From Simple

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:24-25

To Complex And From Complex

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:26-27

To Life Itself

Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth. The glory of the LORD shall endure for ever: the LORD shall rejoice in his works. Psalms 104:30-31

So

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23

There Is No Sin

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Nor Is Redemption Possible

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 1 Peter 1:18-19

Nor Is There Hope For Peace On Earth

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

Because It Naturally Is Not Found In The Cosmic Mind Of Mother Nature

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. 1 John 5:21

No, it's not a mistake. Gravity is not a theory. A quantum theory for gravity is, but not gravity itself. If you're going to go down that line then everything in science is a theory because once you get down to reasons behind reasons, well..... where does it finish?

Gravity is described by gravitational theory.  If you think otherwise, you do not have a fundamental understanding of science.  Theory is science's highest order...theories cannot be proven only disproven.  As far as this sub forum, you should stick to the faith side and avoid science if you cannot understand such a basic concept.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033

Gravity is described by gravitational theory.  If you think otherwise, you do not have a fundamental understanding of science.  Theory is science's highest order...theories cannot be proven only disproven.  As far as this sub forum, you should stick to the faith side and avoid science if you cannot understand such a basic concept.

hmmm....

In the language of science, the word "law" describes an analytic statement. It gives us a formula that tells us what things will do. For example, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation tells us that "Every point mass attracts every single point mass by a force pointing along the line intersecting both points. The force is directly proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point masses." That formula will let us calculate the gravitational pull between the Earth and the object you dropped, between the Sun and Mars, or between me and a bowl of ice cream.

We can use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation to calculate how strong the gravitational pull is between the Earth and the object you dropped, which would let us calculate its acceleration as it falls, how long it will take to hit the ground, how fast it would be going at impact, how much energy it will take to pick it up again, etc.

While the law lets us calculate quite a bit about what happens, notice that it does not tell us anything about why it happens. That is what theories are for. In the language of science, the word "theory" is used to describe an explanation of why and how things happen. For gravity, we use Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to explain why things fall.

http://thehappyscientist.com/science-experiment/gravity-theory-or-law

so, either the happy scientist is wrong or Jerry is wrong. 

hmmm....

In the language of science, the word "law" describes an analytic statement. It gives us a formula that tells us what things will do. For example, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation tells us that "Every point mass attracts every single point mass by a force pointing along the line intersecting both points. The force is directly proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point masses." That formula will let us calculate the gravitational pull between the Earth and the object you dropped, between the Sun and Mars, or between me and a bowl of ice cream.

We can use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation to calculate how strong the gravitational pull is between the Earth and the object you dropped, which would let us calculate its acceleration as it falls, how long it will take to hit the ground, how fast it would be going at impact, how much energy it will take to pick it up again, etc.

While the law lets us calculate quite a bit about what happens, notice that it does not tell us anything about why it happens. That is what theories are for. In the language of science, the word "theory" is used to describe an explanation of why and how things happen. For gravity, we use Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to explain why things fall.

The computers we are posting on are possible because of just a little theory called electromagnetic theory.  All science is based on just theories.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033

hmmm....

The computers we are posting on are possible because of just a little theory called electromagnetic theory.  All science is based on just theories.

Scientific Law  A scientific law is an empirical (ie based on experimental evidence) statement of great generality of something which seems to always be true.

Scientific Hypothesis  A scientific hypothesis is a tentative explanation of an observation or pattern which has been observed in nature.

Scientific Theory  A scientific theory is an explanation of a natural phenomenon with a broad range of significance and application.

The chief distinction between a scientific law, on the one hand, and a theory or hypothesis on another, is that a law is a generalization.  It is NOT an explanation.  It is the result of induction.   It is an empirical (ie based on observation alone) statement of something which always appears to be true.

Hypotheses and theories, on the other hand, are an attempt to explain what has been observed.  Often scientists form theories to explain laws.

Laws:

1. The Law of Gravity.   This law tells us the size of the gravitational force, but it does not explain why gravity exists or even why it is as strong as it is.

2. The First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics.   The first law of thermodynamics tells us that every experiment ever done leads to the conclusion that energy is always conserved.  It is an empirical fact, but it is not an explanation.  The second law of thermodynamics is extremely successful at predicting what processes are spontaneous, but it cannot explain why entropy increase causes spontaneity.

Theories:

1.  The theory of evolution is a theory (as opposed to a hypothesis) because it has very broad applications and explanatory power.   We can explain the entire fossil record and the genetic code of all plants, animals and other forms of life using this theory.  It is the breadth of the theory more than the amount of support which makes it a theory.  In fact, the day it was published (1859 by Darwin) it was already a theory, not just a hypothesis, not because of all the support (the support was still fairly weak at the time) but because of the wide range of things it could explain.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CG8QFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grossmont.edu%2Fjohnoakes%2Fs110online%2FNotes%2520on%2520Scientific%2520Laws.doc&ei=0LYwU5uvJoq5qAGhxIGoDw&usg=AFQjCNHe1KkFCySYux1fhLz4BvZkRNxzpA