nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

There was much I did agree with, but the title stated that we messed up on certain aspects and I was defending my position against what the author stated.  The thread title is negative itself, leading the tone of the discussion.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Fine... :sad030:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Fine... :sad030:

I am trying to figure out what that little guy is kicking.

Since I only disagreed with one point, it was easier to state why I disagree with one point then to say why I agreed with the other 9.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I think he's kicking a can.

In any event, I was hoping something in here was likewise meaningful to others.

Oh well.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Some interesting points in here. Some of these could be their own topic. Thoughts?

~~~~~

(You'll have to click on the link to read why the author considers these to be messed up beliefs.)

http://www.phildrysdale.com/2014/03/10-beliefs-christians-have-that-really-mess-us-up/

1) I’m just a sinner saved by grace

2) God created us to worship Him

3) I have to try hard to love God

4) I have to become more holy

5) It’s my job to change people’s actions.

6) The world is going to get worse and worse before Jesus returns.

7) Thinking everyone should agree with you

8) Thinking you need to have answers

9) Believing that your sin somehow causes God to separate from you

10) Thinking God will punish you if you don’t tithe

Edited by savedbyGrace

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Some elements that stuck out to me:

1. A sinner saved by grace is by very definition no longer a sinner.

We are saints. We have been made righteous.

We must identify with the new nature, not keep dragging around the old.

2. Rather, God created us to enjoy relationship with Him! It is in that place we will worship Him.

Me: I still think we care created to worship Him, but I see the author's point - worship comes out of relationship first.

3. The truth of course is that Jesus was not giving us a rule to follow. No, He was summing up the law and showing us that we couldn’t love God in our own strength.

It is because God loved us that we can love Him.

Our job is not to love God more but to receive His love more. As we focus on God’s love for us our love for Him will in turn grow.

4. Holiness by very definition is an either/or thing. You are either holy or you are unholy.

So where do we get the idea that we can become more holy?

Of course, as we study the scriptures we discover that we are holy! God has made us holy in Christ. Sure there is an outworking of that as we discover it. But we don’t become more holy rather we discover our holiness!

Edited by savedbyGrace

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

1. While I identify with Christ, it really helps me to remember where I came from and how miserable I once was as a sinner. That is what gives me compassion for the unsaved and a desire to witness.

2-4 procede naturally out of my relationship with God. I love God because He first loved me and sent His Son to die for me. Love can be defined as committment, which grows stronger the longer it endures. But when I look at God's love for me, my own love pales in comparison. I have only begun to perceive the heights and depths of it. Who can help but worship such a God? To be holy is to be set aside for God's use. Likewise, as I grow in my comprehension of God's love for me, my faith/trust grows and I am able to surrender to Him; then He is freed to conform me to the likeness of Christ. All grow out of relationship.

5. It is the Holy Spirit's job to change people.

6. The world will get worse. The writer must be blind to all that is happening in the world and in the USA to think otherwise. He also must not be reading the Bible.

7. Not everyone will agree with me. But I should never condemn others who disagree. Those who fail to trust in the God of the Bible are already condemned. It is my job to present the truth as I perceive it and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. When I disagree with other Christians, I pray that God give us all His light on the subject and I need to give other people the respect and freedom to live up to the light given them.

8. I don't have all the answers. Only God does and I have several questions I want to ask Him someday. But when I don't have answers for other people's questions I can pray and ask God for wisdom as how best to answer them.

9. The sin of Adam separated mankind from God. Jesus brought reconciliation by His blood. My own willful sin may break my fellowship with God until I repent and confess it.

10 God doesn't punish me if I don't tithe. But He often blesses me when I put Him first in my life and give as I am able out of thanksgiving and love for Him.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2

When Jesus died on the cross for our sins, he died for all our sins, past, present and future. We still have sin in our hearts, and when we sin God does not turn away from us, we turn away from Him. Because we believe that Jesus died for our sins we can repent and God is merciful and forgives our sins. To say ' I do not sin' is a lie, we all sin, ut only christians have the answer to our sins.