IGNORED

Please help,Drugs forbidden in the bible?????

firestormx

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/7/2014 at 12:23 AM, firestormx said:

On 6/7/2014 at 12:19 AM, OneLight said:

Think of the word this way. Using medication for an ailment is not the same as taking drugs to entice a high or escape reality.

So is what your saying about this word is , that going to doctor is ok ( I agree with this ). But doing drugs like cocaine or ecstasy would be wrong and sinful? Would the nicotine in cigarettes or the alcohol in beer or liquor be the same thing?

Edited by AGTG

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Recreational drugs are a sin, as their sole purpose is to get someone in altered mental state.

In your above quote, I have a question. Wouldn't the nicotine in cigarettes give you the same affect? Isn't that why people smoke, because of how the nicotine alters there mood and mental state? Isn't alcohol the same thing? people drink it for the affect it has on there mental state? why are they any different? If this verse is saying that taking drugs for the purpose of being in an altered state is sin, then how is smoking and drinking not included? 

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

On 6/7/2014 at 11:57 PM, firestormx said:

On 6/7/2014 at 9:40 PM, AGTG said:

Recreational drugs are a sin, as their sole purpose is to get someone in altered mental state.

In your above quote, I have a question. Wouldn't the nicotine in cigarettes give you the same affect? Isn't that why people smoke, because of how the nicotine alters there mood and mental state? Isn't alcohol the same thing? people drink it for the affect it has on there mental state? why are they any different? If this verse is saying that taking drugs for the purpose of being in an altered state is sin, then how is smoking and drinking not included? 

Edited by AGTG

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

Galatians 5:19-21

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envying, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

In the above bible verses the word witchcraft is the one I am interested in. The Greek word that is translated as witchcraft is the same word we get the English word pharmacy from, if I am not mistaken. So is this specifically talking about drugs? Could this be understood as forbidding drugs, in context with the rest of scripture of course.

P.S. No, I am not saying we are not suppose to go to a doctor if we are sick

No scripture does no ban drugs.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

With the exception of which you have already spoken of Firestorm, (medical need) yes I would definitely say all mind alternating drugs are forbidden in the Bible.

We are told that the NT Believers body is the Temple of the Holy Ghost, I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19-20; and as such we are not to be filled with wine but the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 5:18-20. 

The main battlefield for the Christian is our mind, II Corinthians 10:3-5.  But if our mind is filled with a mind alternating drug, how can we as Believers truly renew it, Romans 12:1-2; Ephesians 4:23-24.   But of course as you have already stated there is a different between prescription drugs for which no Believer should ever feel wrong for using, and drugs for recreation.

IMO Adam and Eve probably ate of some type of drug that came off the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for we read that both their eyes were open, Genesis 3:7.   I think that many of these trips that people have while on certain drugs is just having their eyes open to the spiritual world.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

I see nothing wrong with seeing a doctor / physician.

The apostle, Luke was a physician;

Col. 4:14;  "Luke the beloved physician and Demas, greet you."

Luke 5:31, "And Jesus answering them said, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick."

This is also written in Matt. 2:17 and Matt. 9:12.

4 Scriptures supporting the fact that Jesus had no problems with physicians or people going to them for help with their aliments.

Cheers, Haz.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envying, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

In the above bible verses the word witchcraft is the one I am interested in. The Greek word that is translated as witchcraft is the same word we get the English word pharmacy from, if I am not mistaken. So is this specifically talking about drugs? Could this be understood as forbidding drugs, in context with the rest of scripture of course.

P.S. No, I am not saying we are not suppose to go to a doctor if we are sick.

There is a lot more to understanding a word then this. For one thing modern use of an English that has a root in a Greek term should never be used to understand the original Greek term that is removed from it by years of linguistic evolution and cultural change.

The Greek term is φαρμακεία it has a semantic range like most terms, so it can mean the use of drugs in some contexts, however even that use is usually in relation to magic rites, see Louw-Nida or DBL or some other useful lexicon. It is used in the LXX to translate Hebrew words like כשׁף which means to engage in witchcraft and I would suggest that the NT writers continue that primary usage of the term in their writings. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Drugs for medicinal purposes are fine.

Mind-altering or addictive drugs open the gateway to lots of bad things and should be avoided by Christians.

IMO

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

P.S. No, I am not saying we are not suppose to go to a doctor if we are sick.

Notice in Revelation the leaves of the tree of life are for the healing of the nations in God's future Kingdom of the world to come.

How witchcraft and sorcery is associated with drugs is with abusing them for the purpose of penetrating the world of spirits. Many of the old pagan cultures used drugs in their religoius practices. On a technical level, what some drugs do is open up the spirit world, producing mind altering states. God does not want us to do such things, which is why in OT times He said there will be no witch allowed to live in Israel.

So when teenagers get into taking drugs for fun, or because they think it's cool, they are practicing sorcery and witchcraft, whether they know it or not.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I believe that certain drugs open the doorway to malevolent spirits. I have had what I believe to be a personal experience of this and I believe that I have seen it in others. I even believe that temporary possession by demons can occur during such 'trips'. Whether this can lead to permanent possession or not, I cannot say.

Let's ignore the laws of the land for the moment because they are subject to change. As a rule of thumb I would advise anybody to stay clear of mind-altering drugs such as LSD and even cannabis (controlled doses for medicinal purposes may be an exemption to this rule).

There is no need for anybody to take these substances for recreational purposes. Christians who smoke 'joints' are fooling themselves.

Getting 'high' is no substitute for real life and anybody who believes in Jesus has no need to get 'high'.