Pamelasv

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

8)    But above all things have fervent love among you, for love shall cover the multitude of sins.

9)    Be ye harberous one to another, without grudging.

10)  Let every man as he hath received the gift, minister the same one to another, as good disposers of the manifold grace of God.

I Peter 4:8-10

IMO the gift is the grace of God thru Christ Jesus:

15)  But yet the gift is not so as is the offense: for if through the offense of that one, many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace which is by one man Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5:15

If one reads the following verses of what remains in Romans 5, it gives a wonderful picture of this gift of Grace.

This gift could also be called love as Peter describes in I Peter 4:8, for even Solomon mentions that love covers all sins, Proverbs 10:12.   Greater love than this hath no man, when any man bestoweth His life for His friends.  John 15:13  Jesus Christ the Love, that covered everyone of us sinners and our wicked sins.  This is the kind of  love that John calls us too      I John 3:16-18. 

the gift is by grace;  by one man__ words do mean something. . . ;) A tiny prep. can change the whole dynamic of a sentence.

Edited by Cross Reference

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

The capacity for loving others is incidental to loving God. The Baptism of Jesus is for making complete the Christian who has it in his heart to be conformed to Him. It is the venue for the revealing of the glory of God per John 17.. 

John 17:10  And all "Mine(Jesus) are Yours(Heavenly Fathers), and Yours(Our Father) are Mine;(Jesus') and "I(Jesus) AM GLORIFIED IN THEM."(us) 

John 17:22  And the "GLORY" which You(Father) gave Me(Jesus) "I HAVE GIVEN THEM;" that "they(us) may be one, even as We are are one."

John 17:23  I(Jesus) in them,(us) and thou(Heavenly Father) in Me,(Jesus) that they(us) may be made "perfect in one;" and that the world may know that thou(Heavenly Father) has "sent Me,"(Jesus) and has loved them,(us) as Thou(Father) hast loved Me.(Jesus)

John 17:24  Father, I will that they(us) also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am; that "THEY(us) MAY BEHOLD MY GLORY," which thou(Father) hast given Me: for thou(Father) loved Me(Jesus) before the foundation of the world. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Uh, to answer the OP here (and in effect, all the threads regarding spiritual gifts)...

to understand the gifts...

we must first understand that the teachings of the Church for the last 1700 years have been based on a huge lie (that there is a difference between clergy and laity) rather than what the Bible teaches that all believers in Jesus Christ are priests, children of God, slaves to the Master.

1 Peter 2:3-9 (NIV)
3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.
4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—
5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”
7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone,”
8 and, “A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.
9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Revelation 1:6 (NIV)
6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Revelation 5:10 (NIV)
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.”

And spiritual gifts are the equipping of us by the LORD to fulfill our calling from the LORD into whatever priestly ministry he has ordained for each one of us.

Not all are called to preach / teach, there are many callings all in the overall connected amalgamated effort to evangelize the lost in every generation.

1 Corinthians 12 (NIV)
1 Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.
2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols.
3 Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.
6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,
10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
12 The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.
13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
14 Now the body is not made up of one part but of many.
15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.
16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.
17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?
18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
19 If they were all one part, where would the body be?
20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!”
22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,
23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty,
24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it,
25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.
26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Greater gifts not to puff yourself up but to do greater things for the LORD our Master.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

I am not a stranger to the operational supernatural type gifts of the Holy Spirit, but I do not think they are always practical.   Plenty of people operate in them and 'have not love', at least in my neck of the woods.  I don't even go to that kind of church anymore, tho the officers in the Salvation Army have been 'called' out of an aog to serve in the SA instead, and the chaplain wants that kind of stuff, but God is just not making it happen, at least at this point.  I wouldnt mind it either, but I know the Lord has me there now, so...  So anyway, their are other types of gifts that are not Holy Spirit supernatural(or whatever you want to call it) and I was primarily wondering about those tho.  Oh heck yes, prophesy can be VERY edifying, especially when someone has it just for you!!  (people you know and trust who arent full of it). 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

There are gifts used to 'employ' in serving others.  You cannot 'employ' the gifts of the Holy Spririt. The Holy Spirit does that.  I believe this to mean other gifts, which is what I was talking about in the first place.  I know there are spiritual gifts assessments out there, and I heard that this has greatly expanded from the original listing.?  I did take a shortened version once.  It seemed quite accurate.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Hi.   "As each one has recieved a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." 

What are all these gifts and why are they to be used in serving one another?  Can you come up with examples as how to they are used to serve one another?  I thought they were supposed to be used to glorify God and maybe bring in the lost.  I understand how the gift of encouragement serves one another.  Maybe the gift of helps.  Perhaps all these gifts help strengthen eachother so we can continue to grow in the grace and love of God, thus bringing greater glory to God in the world?  Just typing as my mind is hashing this out.

Let every man as he hath received the gift, minister the same one to another, as good disposers of the manifold grace of God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I was going to add more on the other gifts but wanted to provide more time in case anyone wanted to respond - know the post is long.

May the Lord Bless

In Christ, Pat

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Anytime you go about doing good, you are glorifying God. For instance, how did Jesus glorify God? He went about doing good, preaching and healing and keeping his Father's commandments. People here have listed the gifts of the spirit, so I don't need to repeat those, but all of us have one gift or more that we can use. God blesses His children through others, which is why we have these gifts. But also remember, that in our quest to be like our Father in heaven (Matt 5:48), we learn a great deal as we use these gifts for others. If we are going to be perfect like our Father, we need to know how to use the gifts we have and how to bless others unselfishly. Doing this glorifies God because others see your faith, your patience, and they believe in God.