• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Interesting how discussing what "sin is", sin is committed.

Will you please explain this? Is this saying by asking a question I am sinning?

No, not at all. Your question is harmless and often asked. Yet, by reading the thread through, you will see that by focusing in sin, we sin. If we focus in Christ, we will have a much lesser tendency to sin. My point is, what is our focus to be?

Thank you for the clarity to your post. I would agree that our focus should be on Jesus. It is just frustrating when having discussions on this site or in person and people try to add to what sin is. I don't think it's intentional most of the time. But I learned long ago that I can't trust my own thinking. I have to lean on something greater than myself. which is why I must lean on Jesus and his word. Also, IMO if we change the word. Which says sin is the transgression of the law ( NT ) and add to it, which is frequently done ( intentional or not ). Then we have set ourselves up as judge and that we are worthy to determine what is sin. I am not worthy to determine what is sin and what is not. i need God to tell me that. I guess I just don't understand the need to add to or take away from the Word. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

How do we sin if we discuss, sin?

Strange that you would ask this question. Tell me, you claim false accusations was made against you, a lie. Is a false accusation not a sin if it is a lie?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Again, how do we sin if we discuss sin?

That was what you said. I'm simply trying to understand what you mean for my own edification. Thank you. :)

Strange that you would ask this question. Tell me, you claim false accusations was made against you, a lie. Is a false accusation not a sin if it is a lie?

No, not at all. Your question is harmless and often asked. Yet, by reading the thread through, you will see that by focusing in sin, we sin. If we focus in Christ, we will have a much lesser tendency to sin. My point is, what is our focus to be?

Thank you for the clarity to your post. I would agree that our focus should be on Jesus. It is just frustrating when having discussions on this site or in person and people try to add to what sin is. I don't think it's intentional most of the time. But I learned long ago that I can't trust my own thinking. I have to lean on something greater than myself. which is why I must lean on Jesus and his word. Also, IMO if we change the word. Which says sin is the transgression of the law ( NT ) and add to it, which is frequently done ( intentional or not ). Then we have set ourselves up as judge and that we are worthy to determine what is sin. I am not worthy to determine what is sin and what is not. i need God to tell me that. I guess I just don't understand the need to add to or take away from the Word.

I am afraid there will always be two extremes side to this discussion, those who are legalistic and those who are liberal in a post-modern manner. I find that people have a tendency to lean on personal convictions when discussing sin. Take drinking as an example. To one, drinking is a sin because the Lord has instructed that person to not drink, so they try to establish what was given to them personally to everyone else. On the other hand, someone can drink and it is not a sin to them. It can go as deep as if someone is speeding, to some a speeder is sinning because they are breaking the established law of the land when we are instructed to obey our leaders. I happen to believe that He moves each of us in different ways, as we are made differently. Yes, there will always be absolutes, like murder, but for the most part, people do not distinguish between killing and murder, applying what is not scriptural to their personal understanding and holding everyone else up to what they personally believe.

For this reason, I desire to discuss what we are suppose to be doing, not to what we are not suppose to be doing, feeding my spirit on what is right, not what is wrong. He will convict me of sin when the time comes.

That was what you said. I'm simply trying to understand what you mean for my own edification. Thank you. :)

First, my words were "Interesting how discussing what "sin is", sin is committed.". I was not saying that discussing sin is a sin, but rather, sin was committed when focusing sin. My point, as I said before, is we should be focusing on what we should be doing and not on what we should not be doing.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I am afraid there will always be two extremes side to this discussion, those who are legalistic and those who are liberal in a post-modern manner. I find that people have a tendency to lean on personal convictions when discussing sin. Take drinking as an example. To one, drinking is a sin because the Lord has instructed that person to not drink, so they try to establish what was given to them personally to everyone else. On the other hand, someone can drink and it is not a sin to them. It can go as deep as if someone is speeding, to some a speeder is sinning because they are breaking the established law of the land when we are instructed to obey our leaders. I happen to believe that He moves each of us in different ways, as we are made differently. Yes, there will always be absolutes, like murder, but for the most part, people do not distinguish between killing and murder, applying what is not scriptural to their personal understanding and holding everyone else up to what they personally believe.

For this reason, I desire to discuss what we are suppose to be doing, not to what we are not suppose to be doing, feeding my spirit on what is right, not what is wrong. He will convict me of sin when the time comes.

I can't find anything in your post that I disagree with. However, let me add this. Even when we discuss sin, it's all about perspective isn't it? What I mean is, in my heart while we have this discussion about sin, my hope in Christ is that someone ( including myself ) is drawn into a closer walk with Jesus. So even discussing Sin Jesus is the Focus. My simple point being, if your heart is focused on Jesus then any biblical topic including sin can be discussed and we will be edified and drawn closer to him.

Thanks for the chat onelight, you always get me thinking.

First, my words were "Interesting how discussing what "sin is", sin is committed.". I was not saying that discussing sin is a sin, but rather, sin was committed when focusing sin. My point, as I said before, is we should be focusing on what we should be doing and not on what we should not be doing.

Thank you,

Guest LadyC

Genesis, I am giving you a chance to say what you mean.  If you were not suggesting LadyC is a bigot, what could you possibly have been suggesting?  If you tell me you weren't calling her a bigot, I will accept that you are telling the truth. 

@ Firestormx, I guess we look at scripture exactly the same way.  I don't mean we will always agree 100 percent of the time, but both see the Bible as the Word of God and believe it is absolute truth. 

i THINK, although i'm not entirely sure, that what genesis was saying was that what i described (in a nutshell, a staunch belief in sola scriptura) is an example of bigotry. and to the secular world, it appears so... and in many instances IS. but people who stand on God's word alone fall into two camps... those who can separate the sin from the person who commits the sin, and those who have no empathy or compassion for those who engage in activity contrary to God's word (for en extreme example, let's use the westboro baptist "church" people vs. homosexuality). one hates the sin, the other hates the sinner.

but as i was pointing out, to the christian who steadfastly stands on the word of God as the only standard, those who can't accept God's word on an issue because it offends their sensibilities are also demonstrating bigotry.

i THINK, although i'm not entirely sure, that what genesis was saying was that what i described (in a nutshell, a staunch belief in sola scriptura) is an example of bigotry.

You are correct. :)

but as i was pointing out, to the christian who steadfastly stands on the word of God as the only standard, those who can't accept God's word on an issue because it offends their sensibilities are also demonstrating bigotry.
By definition of bigotry, both would be demonstrating bigotry.