IGNORED

Can participation in a local church be contrary to th Christian faith?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Golden Eagle,

You started with this very interesting & important question.

`Can participation  in a local church be contrary to the Christian faith?`

It was good to read people`s comments relating to what really is `the church.` Personally I believe that just attending a public formal meeting run by an organisation is not a requirement to belong to the Body of Christ. However your question does bring up the point `what is the local church.` If it is the organisation then over here in Australia we are seeing more & more control & emotional abuse by leaders, (lording it over, because we have the power) & thus it would be contrary to the Christian faith to put one`s self under that particular group.

`For you bear with anyone if he enslaves you, if he devours you, if he takes advantage of you, if he exalts himself, if he hits you in the face.` (2 Cor. 11: 20)

If the `local church,` is as the Bible tells us, believers gathering in all sorts of ways to encourage, edify, reach out to others, then we would find ourselves drawn to our brothers & sisters, as each are set in the Body by the Holy Spirit & we cannot operate, as others have said, without each other. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Hi Golden Eagle,

You started with this very interesting & important question.

`Can participation  in a local church be contrary to the Christian faith?`

It was good to read people`s comments relating to what really is `the church.` Personally I believe that just attending a public formal meeting run by an organisation is not a requirement to belong to the Body of Christ. However your question does bring up the point `what is the local church.` If it is the organisation then over here in Australia we are seeing more & more control & emotional abuse by leaders, (lording it over, because we have the power) & thus it would be contrary to the Christian faith to put one`s self under that particular group.

`For you bear with anyone if he enslaves you, if he devours you, if he takes advantage of you, if he exalts himself, if he hits you in the face.` (2 Cor. 11: 20)

If the `local church,` is as the Bible tells us, believers gathering in all sorts of ways to encourage, edify, reach out to others, then we would find ourselves drawn to our brothers & sisters, as each are set in the Body by the Holy Spirit & we cannot operate, as others have said, without each other. 

Isn't Vineyard or Hillsong that is from Australia?

I agree we cannot operate without each other. :thumbsup:

Proverbs 27:17

As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.

Amen!

God bless,

GE

It's necessary as a Christian to gather/fellowship with other Christians.

Hebrews 10:25King James Version (KJV) 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

What about Believers who don't gather/fellowship with other Believers?

Hebrews 10:24-25 comes to mind.

But I would say that in today's world a man can exhort and be exhorted as this passage commands without being in the physical presence of people in a church building; while certain ministries of the body of Christ are primarily done through physical presence such as the laying on of hands which is said to be completely basic to the faith in Hebrews 6:1-2 while I don't see very many churches practicing it: the only church I have ever seen that does so is The Mountain which began in South Carolina and is spreading to other states, formerly called Mountain of Worship.

My church lays hands and the elders pray for healing when healing is needed. We anoint with oil at times as well.

Awesome.  What about for the impartation of spiritual gifts?

Spiritual gifts are given by the Holy Spirit at the Holy Spirit's discretion for the edification of the Body of Christ. Wouldn't you agree?

A church is a house of worship.

A club is a place to have fun and picnics. 

If a church keep you bogged down on the milk, and has become pools of water. 

Come out quickly,she is holding you back spiritually. Pools of water do stagnate.

Go and study at home and ask the Hs to guide you.

Worthy christians is a good place to find the answers. 

Many churches have become pools of water,that dont flow.

The HS is flowing spititual water. Knowledge must increase in time.

Everyone according to his time spend,in seeking the scriptures.

jesse.

Hey Jesse so are you saying that one cannot get meat when going to or participating in the local church?

Blessings Golden Eagle...

A month ago I probably would have said that participation at my church could not possibly be contrary to the Christian faith,but today ......I am saying yes,,,,,yes church gatherings can even be all smoke & mirrors....a place to praise & worship with others & that is always good but as the Body of Christ

Well,let me just say that the Body of Christ,which is "the Church" is comprised of individuals that work together effectively & function to serve & extol each other..........we here at Worthy are the Body of Christ,serving in this Ministry & united by our faith in the knowledge of our Lord & Savior Christ Jesus.....we build each other up,we  love one another & want to be there for each other ,we reason together,we spread the Gospel to others ,we extol each other,we Glorify God & speak to each other in Psalms & hymns & Spiritual songs.......24/7....not one day a week,it is the mind ,heart & souls of each of us that are on one accord with the others & Christ is our Head........we gather most everyday....

I can be standing in line at the supermarket & realize I am short a dollar & the gal behind me says."Oh here,I have a dollar" & I say "thank You praise the Lord"....she responds "Amen my Sister"& in the parking lot we praise God for over 20 minutes & we know we are part of that same Body.....It is having the Heart & Mind of Christ as we walk in Spirit & in Truth..............it is all about LOVE,before you know it my supermarket aquaintence & I are handing out tracks together the next weekend & we are sisters for the rest of eternity!!!!!!

You see,over a month ago I went to my Pastor & my Sisters in church to tell them that July 18th I was having foot surgery & I would not be able to teach Bible Study on my assigned days & to request help at my house because I live alone ,have no family near & I will be unable to walk at all the first week (strictly bed)& the 2nd & third week will be minimal walking also(,allowed 5 minutes,10 times a day)no weight bearing down(10-12 weeks recovery)/........Pastor & the ladies assured me I would have all the help I need,long story short,no one came....I was alone,me & Jesus.....it is now the 4th week ,the worst over ,thanks be to God!

My point is,where was the love?the leg was literally by itself ,there was no foot to carry it,the arms  & hands & hips and ears & lips all were elsewhere but they did not help the leg to function ,,,,my church had no body parts to come to the aid of the leg,not one......I would say that is completely contrary to the Christian Faith....there is more to life than Sundays & Wednesdays ......can you imagine ,out of about 3oo people ,not one person from my church cared enough to help me out?Needless to say,I do not want to be part of a congregation that only loves me 2 days a week....my old church is where I will praise & worship....You're right GE,the thumb cannot survive on its own & thank God I do have a couple of Sisters in Christ that are part of the Body of Christ and it has nothing to do with church....sure,you will find some members of Christ Body that are His church ,at church ....I think you know what I am saying. I was greatly disappointed,saddened but my eyes were really opened.....they are not serving God,they are serving themselves,by themselves....hooting ,hollering,singing & having youth activities is not Christ church. I never thought there would be so many hypocrites under one roof,WOW

Anyway,this does not leave me with a bad taste for attending a house of prayer & worship,fellowshipping or serving as I can....but it sure does make me take a closer look .                                                                                                                                         With love-inChrist,Kwik

So sorry this happened to you Kwik. Did you call anyone to ask for help?

Even in difficult circumstances you give thanks to God... That is a great example sister as I might be very frustrated or hurt in this same situation.

Praying for your recovery! :)

God bless,

GE

Hi Golden Eagle,

Vineyard is from USA I think or UK & Hillsong is from Australia. All have there different problems & different gospels now. And I find it is so refreshing to see people waking up to the fact that `Church,` does not have to be the public formal meeting run by organisations. The reality is, I believe, that as we seek the Lord, then by His Holy Spirit He will guide us to function with others - encourage, mentor, give & receive help, words of wisdom etc etc

`....grow up ....into Him,.....Christ, from whom the whole body being fitted & held together by that which every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.` (Eph. 4: 16)  

Some of my favourite scriptures. And I believe that that is where we are today - where `each individual part` is being placed with others so they can function. Previously we have let those in organisations tell us what & where & how...... And often those would `lord it over,` or think they had authority because the organisation gave it to them, but now many people are seeing that it is not a question of attending a public meeting or not, but whether I am functioning with my brothers & sisters as Christ would have me too - as He is the Head.

One of my very favourite topics, as you can see.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

It's necessary as a Christian to gather/fellowship with other Christians.

Hebrews 10:25King James Version (KJV) 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

What about Believers who don't gather/fellowship with other Believers?

The believer who does not gather/fellowship with other believer's; 1) is not following God's instruction, and 2) is limiting their own spiritual growth.

God saw it necessary to provide four gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Each gospel provides a different view of Christ: King, Servant, Man, Divine or Lion, Ox, Man, Eagle. 

It behooves the believer/body of Christ to share what GOD has revealed about himself to other believers. In turn when other believers share their revelation of GOD, the two put together increases each ones overall comprehension of GOD, beyond their initial understanding, but only if the believers are able to receive it.

Edited by Enoc

Good words, Enoc,

Reminds me of the scriptures -

`....may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the ..........love of Christ.`   (Eph. 3: 18)

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings GE,my Beloved Brother

Thank you for letting me know that we can all get frustrated or hurt and are not immune to offenses......as I have actually been told i should not be offended,lol     And yes,God did not have anything to do with how people let me down  but He has everything to do with how I re-act,forgive & move on,forsaking any bitterness or resentment.I give Him all the glory for keeping my heart right and I am so grateful He is with me through it all

Yes,I asked for help

You see,over a month ago I went to my Pastor & my Sisters in church to tell them that July 18th I was having foot surgery & I would not be able to teach Bible Study on my assigned days & to request help at my house because I live alone ,have no family near & I will be unable to walk at all the first week (strictly bed)& the 2nd & third week will be minimal walking also(,allowed 5 minutes,10 times a day)no weight bearing down(10-12 weeks recovery)/........Pastor & the ladies assured me I would have all the help I need,long story short,no one came....I was alone,me & Jesus.....it is now the 4th week ,the worst over ,thanks be to God!                                                                                           posted by kwikphilly

And after surgery,when no one called ,I immediately called my Bishop to remind him that I was home and stuck there with no one,no way to get my own food,my ice,get to the bathroom,feed my pet etc.....     and still,nothing.He said he would call my team leader(our congregation has 12 teams with it).....she never called ,no one did..............

It is an awful experience & if I did not go through this myself I would have had a difficult time imagining they were not leaving something out of the story ,,,,like maybe they were mean to people,nobody really knew them,they hardly attend church,,,,,something,anything to sort of defend the UNresponse to someone in need.........The simple truth is ,it cannot be defended,,......it is forgivable....but,it is not excusable or acceptable....

Yesterday I visited my friend Val in rehab,she just lost her leg to diabetes,her Aunt(who attends my church)also came for a visit.......she was wondering where I had been & commented that for the past 3 weeks our Pastor calls for corporate prayer for Sister Kwik,,,,,,she had no idea why,she said he sees very remorseful when he announces this call?Perhaps the Lord used me to prick the pastors conscious,,,,,,,it is a shame he could not simply say'I am sorry",,,,instead of ''I am sorry you feel this way"when I called 3 weeks ago to tell him I was greatly disappointed in him ,as my Pastor & in my brethren & I did not want to be a member of a congregation that only loves me on Sundays & Wednesdays......now the Lord deals with them & shows me which way to go.....Praise the Lord! And,Bless his Holy name,,,Hosannah in the Highest,I am doing well,,,,,,,,,,,,                                                   With much love,Kwik