IGNORED

Which day is the Sabbath and is it still valid today?

tff

Guest shiloh357

Yeshua said do not think I have come to destroy  the law and but fulfill. What parts of Yeshua words you don't understand?

Who said the Sabbath was "destroyed?"   The point is that is not given to the Church.  Whether the Sabbath is still in force or not, it was not given to the Church.  It was given to Israel and ONLY to Israel.   If you want to observe the Sabbath day, that is your prerogative.   But if you are trying to tell me that it is compulsory for me, you spreading false teaching.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

Just because I don't observe a commandment I wasn't given to keep by Jesus doesn't mean I don't love Him.  Jesus never commanded anyone to keep the Sabbath, not a single time.   I keep the commandments Jesus gave and are listed in the NT.  I don't have to observe the Sabbath because it was not given to the Church.

Sorry but you are spreading false teaching and your teachings are rejected. You twist the Bible to make it say what it doesn't say.  You have nothing good to offer here.

That is 100% incorrect. The New Testament, as I posted above, is full of keeping the Sabbath.  Do you through out all of the Bible except the 4 gospels?

Keeping the Sabbath is all over the NT.   But there is not ONE commandment to the church saying it must keep the Sabbath.   Sorry, but my comments were 100% correct.  He is spreading false teaching.   And so are you if you are saying that Sabbath observance is compulsory for the church.

Still incorrect. If your Bible is only 4 books, you go to a much different kind of church than the rest of us do. It is a law for all of us.

Sorry, but I live under the NT economy.  The New Testament doesn't command the Sabbath and I defy you to find ONE commandment to the Church to keep the Sabbath anywhere in the NT.  You can trust in your observance of the law.   I'll just trust in Jesus.

And Jesus gave us the Bible and I'll trust in the Bible.

The Bible doesn't say that I am required to keep the SAbbath day.   So frankly, you are not trusting the Bible.  You are simply trusting in legalism.

Yes, it does. We all know it does.

Jere 31:

31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

New covenant with exact same old laws is not much of a new covenant.

You don't understand "add to" do you?

You may not believe in the Bible but I do. The Bible tells everyone to remember the Sabbath. That's the Christian Bible. I realize that there are parts that are only old laws of the Old Testament but not all of the old laws are invalid.

Guest shiloh357

You may not believe in the Bible but I do. The Bible tells everyone to remember the Sabbath. That's the Christian Bible. I realize that there are parts that are only old laws of the Old Testament but not all of the old laws are invalid.

No, the Bible only tells Israel to keep the Sabbath.  There is no commandment to keep the Sabbath ever given to a Gentile in the Bible.

No, the Bible only tells Israel to keep the Sabbath.  There is no commandment to keep the Sabbath ever given to a Gentile in the Bible.

If you are going to pick and choose what you want to accept in the Bible, you can make an argument that any part is not valid for you. Again, I believe the Bible. And it tells us to obey the Sabbath.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I think these Scripture verses are worth exploring for those who may want to take this a little further. My own thoughts are in quotes below but more importantly it behooves each Christian to be led by the Holy Spirit in order to understand the Scriptures for themselves.

1. Exodus 31:16-18

'Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.' " And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

The passage seems to indicate the Sabbath Day observance was perpetual - forever; at least with Israel.

2. Isaiah 56:2

Blessed is the man who does this,

And the son of man who lays hold on it;

Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,

And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

Isa 56:5-7

Even to them I will give in My house

And within My walls a place and a name

Better than that of sons and daughters;

I will give them an everlasting name

That shall not be cut off.

Also the sons of the foreigner

Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him,

And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants—

Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,

And holds fast My covenant—

Even them I will bring to My holy mountain,

And make them joyful in My house of prayer.

Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices

Will be accepted on My altar;

For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations."

(a) A reaffirmation by the prophet Isaiah that the Sabbath observance is meant to be kept holy (separate to the Lord)

(b) Jesus quotes the last verse of this passage from Isaiah Himself when He threw the moneychangers out of the temple, the temple being a foreshadow of the temple, which is Jesus Himself.

Matthew 21:13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Mark 11:17 Then He taught, saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Luke 19:46 saying to them, “It is written, ‘My house is a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Matthew 12:8 “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6:5 And He said to them, “The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

a. So believe the Lord is temple and the Lord is with us. He is our Sabbath observance and our rest for He is Lord of the Sabbath.

b. No leagalism here.

c. But what about the perpetual Sabbath observance? Wasn't it forever?

d. It would appear so in the following passage from Isaiah

3. Isaiah 66:23

And it shall come to pass

That from one New Moon to another,

And from one Sabbath to another,

All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.

a. Believe this verse is speaking of the future, when all flesh shall come to worship the Lord.

b. Note: It is not lost on me that the Lord Himself rested in the tomb on the High Sabbath of Passover and the Sabbath Saturday, for that sabbath day was an high day, the first day of unleavened bread, followed by an ordinary Sabbath. All the Apostles, including Paul, seem to have observed the Sabbath. From Justin it appears that Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week to commemorate Jesus' resurrection.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you … with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17).

At first glance Paul seems to be stating Sabbath day but a closer look at the context is not the Sabbath of perpetuity that the Lord gave for an integral ordinance within the 10 commandments. I believe the Sabbaths here were the Sabbaths of the Day of Atonement, feast of tabernacles, etc, that foreshadowed Christ. Now that Christ has come our atonement is through Him. Now that Christ has come our tabernacle is in Him. I do not think, however, that breaking or desecrating the Sabbath is okay from what I'm reading here; any more than being a Christian and murdering someone, stealing from someone, or committing adultery is somehow something that God would wink at. Keeping these things will not get me to heaven for I've already broken these commands but the perfect One who did fulfill the Law atoned these sins. That said should we continue in sin, as Paula says? God forbid. Keeping the Sabbath from what I've been able to glean is just as important as honoring thy father and mother and staying clear of covetness, etc. Now as far as I know the Sabbath was kept by Christians for 19 centuries. But there are 19th century sources that infer it is to be kept as well.

"the Sabbath"--Omit "THE," which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on JF & B for Galatians 4:10).

"SABBATHS" (not "the sabbaths") of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged ( Lev 23:32, 37-39 ). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Leviticus 23:38 expressly distinguished "the sabbath of the Lord" from the other sabbaths.

A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Hebrews 4:9, "rests," Greek, "keeping of sabbath" ( Isaiah 66:23 ). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike ( Romans 13:8-10 ).]

Hope the references help brother

In Christ, Pat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only thing I think I'll add as a caution is while we certainly are the temple of God in which the Holy Spirit abides the Spirit of God never contradicts Himself. Therefore what is found in the Scriptures, the Word of God, has also been spoken of by Jesus, the Word of God, and the Holy Spirit, since the Spirit testifies to what Jesus said and in what is found in the word of God. So personally I do believe we need to keep the Sabbath Holy, since it is perpetual - even after His 2nd coming. I know this is a point of disagreement but that is much more recent and for 1900 years the Sabbath was kept by Christians.

In Christ, Pat

Pat, thanks for this article. It is appreciated. I agree with you that Sabbaths need to be kept Holy and it is still a valid factor today.

Guest shiloh357

If you are going to pick and choose what you want to accept in the Bible, you can make an argument that any part is not valid for you. Again, I believe the Bible. And it tells us to obey the Sabbath.

Not every part of the Bible is applicable for every person.  There are commandments that only apply to men, some only apply women, some only apply to you if you have a son or if you have a daughter.   Some commandments only apply if you are living in the land of Israel.  Some only apply to you if you are Levitical Priest.  Some commandments only apply if you own cattle.

You cannot simply argue that all commandments apply to all people for all time. It doesn't work that way.  Do you perform sacrifices? Do separate from your spouse once a month according to the laws Niddah?

Every passage of Scripture has a sender and a recipient.  There are commandments that were given ONLY to Israel and you need to come to grips with that reality.  God never told the Church to keep the Sabbath    He only told Israel to keep that law.    It was not transferred to  the Church and you can't prove  otherwise.

Guest shiloh357

I think these Scripture verses are worth exploring for those who may want to take this a little further. My own thoughts are in quotes below but more importantly it behooves each Christian to be led by the Holy Spirit in order to understand the Scriptures for themselves.

1. Exodus 31:16-18

'Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.' " And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

The passage seems to indicate the Sabbath Day observance was perpetual - forever; at least with Israel.

2. Isaiah 56:2

Blessed is the man who does this,

And the son of man who lays hold on it;

Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,

And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

Isa 56:5-7

Even to them I will give in My house

And within My walls a place and a name

Better than that of sons and daughters;

I will give them an everlasting name

That shall not be cut off.

Also the sons of the foreigner

Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him,

And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants—

Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,

And holds fast My covenant—

Even them I will bring to My holy mountain,

And make them joyful in My house of prayer.

Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices

Will be accepted on My altar;

For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations."

(a) A reaffirmation by the prophet Isaiah that the Sabbath observance is meant to be kept holy (separate to the Lord)

(b) Jesus quotes the last verse of this passage from Isaiah Himself when He threw the moneychangers out of the temple, the temple being a foreshadow of the temple, which is Jesus Himself.

Matthew 21:13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Mark 11:17 Then He taught, saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Luke 19:46 saying to them, “It is written, ‘My house is a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Matthew 12:8 “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6:5 And He said to them, “The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

a. So believe the Lord is temple and the Lord is with us. He is our Sabbath observance and our rest for He is Lord of the Sabbath.

b. No leagalism here.

c. But what about the perpetual Sabbath observance? Wasn't it forever?

d. It would appear so in the following passage from Isaiah

3. Isaiah 66:23

And it shall come to pass

That from one New Moon to another,

And from one Sabbath to another,

All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.

a. Believe this verse is speaking of the future, when all flesh shall come to worship the Lord.

b. Note: It is not lost on me that the Lord Himself rested in the tomb on the High Sabbath of Passover and the Sabbath Saturday, for that sabbath day was an high day, the first day of unleavened bread, followed by an ordinary Sabbath. All the Apostles, including Paul, seem to have observed the Sabbath. From Justin it appears that Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week to commemorate Jesus' resurrection.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you … with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17).

At first glance Paul seems to be stating Sabbath day but a closer look at the context is not the Sabbath of perpetuity that the Lord gave for an integral ordinance within the 10 commandments. I believe the Sabbaths here were the Sabbaths of the Day of Atonement, feast of tabernacles, etc, that foreshadowed Christ. Now that Christ has come our atonement is through Him. Now that Christ has come our tabernacle is in Him. I do not think, however, that breaking or desecrating the Sabbath is okay from what I'm reading here; any more than being a Christian and murdering someone, stealing from someone, or committing adultery is somehow something that God would wink at. Keeping these things will not get me to heaven for I've already broken these commands but the perfect One who did fulfill the Law atoned these sins. That said should we continue in sin, as Paula says? God forbid. Keeping the Sabbath from what I've been able to glean is just as important as honoring thy father and mother and staying clear of covetness, etc. Now as far as I know the Sabbath was kept by Christians for 19 centuries. But there are 19th century sources that infer it is to be kept as well.

"the Sabbath"--Omit "THE," which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on JF & B for Galatians 4:10).

"SABBATHS" (not "the sabbaths") of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged ( Lev 23:32, 37-39 ). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Leviticus 23:38 expressly distinguished "the sabbath of the Lord" from the other sabbaths.

A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Hebrews 4:9, "rests," Greek, "keeping of sabbath" ( Isaiah 66:23 ). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike ( Romans 13:8-10 ).]

Hope the references help brother

In Christ, Pat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only thing I think I'll add as a caution is while we certainly are the temple of God in which the Holy Spirit abides the Spirit of God never contradicts Himself. Therefore what is found in the Scriptures, the Word of God, has also been spoken of by Jesus, the Word of God, and the Holy Spirit, since the Spirit testifies to what Jesus said and in what is found in the word of God. So personally I do believe we need to keep the Sabbath Holy, since it is perpetual - even after His 2nd coming. I know this is a point of disagreement but that is much more recent and for 1900 years the Sabbath was kept by Christians.

In Christ, Pat

Pat, thanks for this article. It is appreciated. I agree with you that Sabbaths need to be kept Holy and it is still a valid factor today.

It's only perpetual and valid for Israel, not the Church.

Not every part of the Bible is applicable for every person.  There are commandments that only apply to men, some only apply women, some only apply to you if you have a son or if you have a daughter.   Some commandments only apply if you are living in the land of Israel.  Some only apply to you if you are Levitical Priest.  Some commandments only apply if you own cattle.

That is very true. And some are given if you are human. Read the first thing I said on this thread. Studies have been done. Read what I said.

Guest shiloh357

That is very true. And some are given if you are human. Read the first thing I said on this thread. Studies have been done. Read what I said.

I read what you said there.   None of that addresses the point that God never gave the Sabbath to the Church and the Church is not required to keep it.  I can bet if we went down all 613 commmandments there a lot you don't keep.   So frankly, trying single out the Sabbath and demand that it compulsory for Christians to keep shows that you have inconsistent and incoherent approach to the Bible as does everyone else on here who claims that the Church is required to keep the Sabbath day.