Qnts2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I have heard several people in leadership, on TV and now locally say, we don't need doctrine. That doctrine divides and division is not good.

What do you all think?

Guest shiloh357

I have heard several people in leadership, on TV and now locally say, we don't need doctrine. That doctrine divides and division is not good.

What do you all think?

Perhaps without realizing it, they are saying, we don't need the deity of Jesus, the Person and work of the Holy Spirit, the attributes of God, knowledge of sin, the plan of salvation, or any principle that forms the basis of practical Christian living.

Guest Teditis

I think "doctrine" can be a two-edged sword, so to speak.

That it can become the thing people follow instead of the Bible

or God/Christ/Holy Spirit... the doctrine can divide when that happens

and also becomes a root of legalisms.

However, in larger part, I think that "doctrine" can be very unifying and

serve to explain commonly shared beliefs and express ideas that are 

held dear to a particular group of people.

Also it is necessary to employ doctrine when deal with large groups of

peoples so as to administer in a uniform manner. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

It all depends on how you define "doctrine". So the question is moot. 

If you don't agree with my doctrine, yours is wrong sort of thing....

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

It all depends on how you define "doctrine". So the question is moot. 

If you don't agree with my doctrine, yours is wrong sort of thing....

I agree fully.  Not everyone uses the term "doctrine" the same way.  Most will follow the generic meaning, from dictionary.com:

1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government:

Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.

2. something that is taught; teachings collectively:

religious doctrine.

3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject:

the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

If the ones who said this is speaking with this understanding of the term, then the speakers are correct. Pet doctrines of a denomination, which are either extra-biblical doctrine or twisted scripture, do divide. If they are talking about the foundational doctrine of salvation, they are wrong, yet I am not not sure what the speakers are referring to.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'm not sure what they mean by using that phrase.....    Some doctrines stink according to my personal standards and I would agree with the subject title of the thread......   

However I'm not thinking that is really the context of what they are talking about....

Everyone has to have their personal doctrine just by the definition of the word......    as to whether or not we have to all agree what we should believe is a whole different thing.    Because people read and have different ideas of what the Bible is saying, I think different doctrines are almost necessary.....   and yes they do divide....      Do we need them....   depends on whether or not you are going to force your doctrine on me.   It is nice to find a group that believes the same as you do and I really don't see how it could function without it.

Just look through the last ten years of posted threads here on Worthy......     a statement of beliefs really is necessary to hold down false beliefs. But if you make it rigid, you will just have a small group of people with nothing to talk about.......    I'm not sure it would not be the same with a church......     I am not a member of the church I attend for I can't stand up and agree with all the doctrine of the church.....   and I personally believe that it keeps that church from growing.

So I have mixed emotions about the question of the thread.

Do we need doctrines......   I would say yes, but they should be basic.

Peace

For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.

Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush:

therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the LORD. Jeremiah 8:11-12

Peace

Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour:

so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour. Ecclesiastes 10:1

~

I have heard several people in leadership, on TV and now locally say, we don't need doctrine.

That doctrine divides and division is not good.

What do you all think?

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Sometimes Yes

Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

When they heard that, they were cut to the heart,

and took counsel to slay them. Acts 5:28-33

And Sometimes

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:34-38

Not So Much

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Matthew 15:9

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,158
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

According to Scripture "doctrine is the very basic supply of all life"

Deut 32:2

2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew,

as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

KJV

So as the fulfillment of Scripture the created thing (above) pointing to The Creator (below)

Prov 4:2-5

2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law. 3 For I was my father's

son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. 4 He taught me also,

and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments,

and live. 5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline

from the words of my mouth.

KJV

As the very depth of this pointing is embed into The Father, Son and Holy Spirit

John 7:16-17

16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of

God, or whether I speak of myself.

KJV

Based on all this I cannot see in which anything is to be considered unimportant to

doctrine but rather the sins of the people wrapped around the doctrine that brings

ambiguity to the topic... Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

3)  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine: but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4)  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

II Timothy 4:3-4

Paul speaks of this time coming when sound doctrine, will not be endure, and many will be lead away from the truth of Christ into what are just fables, being taught by many so called men of God.  Paul even told Timothy of being..nourished up in the faith and of good doctrine...I Timothy 4:6.   And reminds Timothy of his doctrine, II Timothy 3:10.

So my thought is this, it is just a sign of a great apostasy that is happening today, for sound doctrine in the simplicity of Jesus Christ is much needed; II Corinthians 11:3; Galatians 3:1-5.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

What do you all think?

All such statements are making it clear that they believe and are teaching their own doctrine which is "that we do not need the knowledge of the truth of God found in the scripture in the bible.

Which is a false doctrine being taught by all who would say such. It is another gospel that is not of God. Apostle Paul assured and had reminded young Timothy of these very words...

"And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus...All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is "profitable" for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (2 Timothy 15-16).

Romans 15:4 - For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

There is more to the gospel than just having a big celebration party all in the name of love. Doctrinal teachings do divide and always will. The things that Jesus taught divided. The truth of the gospel will always divide when it is taught. Sadly there are leaders who would like to keep the flock of God dumb downed so that we will be lead and follow along blindly. I personally can't do that a ditch is no place for me to end up.