Summer

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,268
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Whatever people decide to do, don't get tattoos on or close to your back.   The inks are serious neurotoxins and can be serious if you need surgery.....   also if ladies have tattoos on their lower backs they probably won't be able to get an epidural and will have to go with natural child birth.    Also you can't get spinal blocks for lower body surgery....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

@ LadyKay.  How about things in the law that don't hurt others?  Cheating on one's spouse can easily be said to hurt the one you love, but what about couples who choose to swap partners?  They all are ok with it, and nobody is seemingly hurt.  That is still adultery.  How about couples that commit adultery in 3 ways?  They are all fine with it.  Nobody is seemingly hurt.  Is that ok, even though it is adultery?  What of homosexuals?  Can they be Christians?  Is your position that in any case where the sin doesn't hurt others, it is ok?  And what about that list in 1 Corinthians 6:9,10 where it lists sins that will keep you from inheriting the Kingdom of God?  Thanks in advance for your reply. 

Look I don't have all the answers. I'm here to give what I think about tattoos, not homosexuals and swingers. I do know that it says in the New Testament that adultery is wrong. There for I would disagree with swinging. But the topic at hand was tattoos. I have given my answer to how I feel about them so that is that.

Well LadyKay, that is all well and good, but you were the one that brought past controversies into this discussion over things like women wearing jeans.  You seemed more than willing to give an answer to very controversial matters, so I wouldn't have thought you would mind answering those questions.  Others have brought other subjects into this debate to make comparisons.  I asked you about the right or wrong of these topics to try to figure out why you think tattoos are ok, even though the law says otherwise.  I don't know why you are getting so defensive when I ask about swingers, three ways, and homosexuals who call themselves Christians, since none of them meet the criteria you gave about hurting others.  I don't shy away from such questions. 

Nothing I say makes any difference so I don't know why I even bother.  I thought I explain why I felt tattoos were okay. I explain why I felt swinging was wrong. I am not going to talk about homosexuals as that is a topic that would fell a whole other post. And I will admit there are some subjects I am not qualified to answer.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

@ Sevenseas.  Your position is not consistent, and makes no sense.  On the one hand, you say you are not promoting freedom to sin, but on the other hand, you are claiming you are not under part of the law and while not under another part of the law.  If you are not under the law period, that means you are free to do anything you want with no consequences.  Where there is no law, there is no transgression.  You are choosing to hold to part of the law and refusing to accept other parts of the law.  The same law that gave us Deuteronomy 22:5 gave us the law "Thou shalt not commit adultery."  If one is invalid, the other is invalid.  Both of us are holding to part of the law while discarding other parts, but for different reasons.  Let me break this down for all to see.

Butero's Position:  There are 3 types of laws in the law of Moses.  1) Moral laws, which are the only ones in effect today.  2)  Ceremonial laws that show Israel's separation from the nations around them, which includes things like circumcision and eating kosher.  Since the gentiles are now accepted through faith in Christ, these laws don't apply.  3) Laws dealing with the office of the Levitical priesthood.  They no longer apply because the need for animal sacrifice ended with the cross. 

Sevenseas's Position:  We are not under part of the law while not under other parts of the law.  At the same time, I am not advocating it is ok to sin. 

Sevenesea's position is completely illogical and untrue.  How do I know that?  Because she takes a position against things like adultery, which is right out of the law of Moses, while ignoring Deuteronomy 22:5.  That right there shows she does hold to part of the law of Moses, while ignoring other parts of the law of Moses.  If she is saying that only those things re-stated in the NT are valid, that is still holding to part of the law, and it means she is ok with an incestuous marriage between a brother and sister, because that is not mentioned in the NT.  She has to be ok with transvestites as well, as that is not mentioned either. 

As far as polygamy goes, that was never forbidden anywhere in the Bible, and was regulated in the law of Moses.  I find this to completely discredit Sevenseas, because here she is adding to the law and creating a law that never existed.  She is making an extra-Biblical law more powerful than actual laws in the Bible.  My position here is that the Bible allows for polygamy, with some regulations, so it cannot be a sin.  I am not promoting we become polygamists, but just stating the obvious, that since sin is the transgression of the law, and polygamy is not against God's laws, it is not a sin. 

I understand that you do not agree and therefore conclude you cannot make sense of what I write.  The problem lies in your interpretation.  You have adhered to a doctrine that

is not found in the NT and no amount of trying to make it fit works, so you conclude that what I write, irregardless of the fact I simply state we are not under the law, appears to send you

off into a tailspin of attempting to make me admit to stating things that are ridiculous.

In case that is not clear, you have not actually replied to my posts; rather you have distorted and exaggerated.  It would make more sense if you would just state you disagree.

Trying to rewrite my posts is not working.

Sevenseas's Position:  We are not under part of the law while not under other parts of the law.  At the same time, I am not advocating it is ok to sin. 

That is not my position.  This is my position:

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law:

that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight:

for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:19-29

(as quoted from FresnoJoe)

This is your position:

Butero's Position:  There are 3 types of laws in the law of Moses.  1) Moral laws, which are the only ones in effect today.  2)  Ceremonial laws that show Israel's separation from the nations around them, which includes things like circumcision and eating kosher.  Since the gentiles are now accepted through faith in Christ, these laws don't apply.  3) Laws dealing with the office of the Levitical priesthood.  They no longer apply because the need for animal sacrifice ended with the cross. 

The Bible does not teach that we are under any law whatsover.  As we cannot keep the law, the law condemns...and the Bible states that if we break even ONE part of the law,

we have broken ALL of it.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.  James 2:10

I don't think you understand that.

That is why God sent His Son to die.  In His sinless death, the law was satisfied by a perfect sacrifice as the atonement for our sins.

Pay particular attention to this verse...this seems to be where your difficulty lies:

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Romans 3:23-28

You should at least try to address the scripture which directly refutes your opinions on the law rather then have another go at trying to change what I actually wrote

According to a Jewish web-site I just visited, to round the corners of your head is to make a bald place in a circular pattern around your head, leaving a bald place.  It is not a normal or even military style hair cut.

:thumbsup:

It's All The Rage Today

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him:

for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance,

but the LORD looketh on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I have a tattoo and have regretted it for many many years.  Besides how ugly it looks, I believe Jesus never had a tattoo and I am suppose to follow His example.  Let each person weigh this one out for themselves.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

My 2 cents, and only that.  I don’t wish to step on any toes, and if I do, I apologize in advance.

Not quite 30 years ago, I was seriously considering getting tattooed.  I was in the music business, and many of my ‘colleagues’ (that’s a euphemism for the unsavory crowd I ran around with) were getting them, and I sort of caught the bug.  At the time, tats were not as mainstream as they are today, and still somewhat the province of the counter-culture.  Like most, I *think*, the idea appealed to me because it was cool, somewhat rebellious, and daring.  I had previously done wild colors and styles with my hair and had multiple piercings, but by the time I was considering tattoos, I had ‘outgrown’ that stuff.  Getting a tattoo was a carnal itch I *really* wanted to scratch.

I *was* a Christian at the time, and out of sheer curiosity I decided to see if the Bible had anything to say about what was on my agenda.  And, as we’ve already looked at on this thread, there it was:

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28).

Cold water.  I hit the brakes.  And before I get a chorus of “We’re not under the Law!”, yeah, I get that.  But I *didn’t* know that then, and here was scripture stating very plainly that I shouldn’t do what I was thinking about doing.  I was suddenly circumspect.  I considered what was motivating me and what was actually involved with tattooing.  Here’s my take-away:

1.    I was plainly motivated by vanity, a desire to be noticed, and a certain spirit of rebelliousness.

2.    Tattoos are completely *unnecessary*.  If I couldn’t bring myself to deny myself regarding tattoos, I figured I’d be hard pressed to do so when temptations were greater and stakes were higher.

3.    Tattoos are a life-time commitment to a certain mind-set at a certain point in time.  As I out-grew my hair styles and piercings, it seemed nearly inconceivable to me that I’d always love that ink.

I’ve never looked back or had second thoughts.  I think perspective on tattoos and other ‘elective’ (iffy) issues can be found in other Biblical precepts.  A few are below.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20New International Version (NIV)

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Do tattoos honor the temple of the Holy Spirit?

-------------

Psalms 119:37

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways.

This refers to issues of visual vanity.

---------

Titus 2:12

instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,

------------

Ephesians 4:22

that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,

Is getting tattooed laying aside the old self?

--------------

Romans 12:1-2

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

I think getting tattoos is 'conforming to this world', but I know there are those who disagree.

------------

Galatians 5:24

Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Is the desire for tattoos of the flesh?  I think so.

-------------

As I said, my two cents.  And sorry about the formatting.  I hope this is readable.

Edited by Roman150

Do tattoos honor the temple of the Holy Spirit?

Some may think they do. Some people find tattoos to be works of art. So I would guess that they are people who think that tattoos do honor the temple.

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

I take this to mean that we are too take care of our bodies. Not become too fat or abuse drugs stuff like that. I do not see a tattoo causing harm to the body, unless it is not done right(dirty needles) and you get an infection. That is why it is best to go to a licensed tattoo person and not your crazy roommate.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

I take this to mean that we are too take care of our bodies. Not become too fat or abuse drugs stuff like that. I do not see a tattoo causing harm to the body, unless it is not done right(dirty needles) and you get an infection. That is why it is best to go to a licensed tattoo person and not your crazy roommate.

I don't see how getting a tattoo is taking care of our bodies. There are a lot of risks getting tattoos.

Why would anyone undergo this permanent procedure that could change your body in more than just the look?

Risks to body.

• Infection – Dirty needles can pass infections, like hepatitis and HIV, from one person to another.
  • Allergies – Allergies to various ink pigments in both permanent and temporary tattoos have been reported and can cause problems.
  • Scarring – Unwanted scar tissue may form when getting or removing a tattoo.
  • Granulomas – These small knots or bumps may form around material that the body perceives as foreign, such as particles of tattoo pigment.
  • MRI complications – People may have swelling or burning in the tattoo when they have magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This happens rarely and does not last long.

Also no research has shown Tattoo ink is truly harmless to the body overtime

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048919.htm

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

I have a question. I have a foot long scorpion on my back that relates to a horoscope and a worldly band name I got before i was really walking with the Lord. I want to get a cross covering the band name and crushing the head of the scorpion an get the verse Luke 10:18 "And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

So for those against tattoos, would it be sin to cover up something satanic with a tattoo that represents my walk with the Lord?

or you could spend your money on having it removed, hear they're doing amazing things with lazers these days