Tinky

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

I think this is a great question and it leads me to ask how do our prayers make a difference in spiritual warfare? For instance, if (hypothetically) we have guardian angels, should we pray for them to be stronger, or are they already as strong as they can be? Or when we pray to be delivered from temptation does that keep the fallen angels away from us?

To answer your questions, the bible does not speak of individual guardian angels. We pray to be delivered from our own temptations, temptation to sin. The one central truth that protects us from the spiritual realm (the dark side of it), is Jesus, no more, no less.

To answer the question the OP asks, in how do angels and demons fight? The bible is not clear on this, and if God wanted us to know He would have told us through His Word.

I believe Jesus mentions that angels are given charge over the little ones mentioned in Mathew 18:10

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,153
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

...Thus we see in Revelation 12: 7 - 12 that Michael & his angels `fought` against the Devil & his demonic angels & cast them to the earth. Why? Because that was God`s word, His authority for what was to take place.  Satan`s power was gradually being reduced - from the 3rd heaven, near God`s throne, where he had great power & glory, to the Universal area where he had power as the `Prince of the power of the air,` to being cast to the earth, till then bound for a 1,000 years till then cast into the lake of fire.

Down, down, down, being reduced in power & authority & being exposed for the liar, deceitful, cruel, controller he is.

So `God`s authority` is the key in regard to His purpose, a step at a time. ...

This is a good point that many people miss: Satan/Lucifer has been losing his power in stages.

Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

According to the Hebraic sages, there was an original fall even before man was created, from the very highest realm. He is now either in the lowest heaven, and/or in the "heavens"/sky/air of the material world: opinions differ on this. He will soon to be cast to earth, at the beginning of the Trib.

In contrast, God's chosen of mankind have been increasing in power, from Adamic flesh-level, to Abrahamic soul-level, to Christ spirit-level. Those accounted worthy will soon enter into light-level, and be able to dwell in presence (not just in spirit) before the heavenly throne.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  269
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,235
  • Content Per Day:  3.48
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

...Thus we see in Revelation 12: 7 - 12 that Michael & his angels `fought` against the Devil & his demonic angels & cast them to the earth. Why? Because that was God`s word, His authority for what was to take place.  Satan`s power was gradually being reduced - from the 3rd heaven, near God`s throne, where he had great power & glory, to the Universal area where he had power as the `Prince of the power of the air,` to being cast to the earth, till then bound for a 1,000 years till then cast into the lake of fire.

Down, down, down, being reduced in power & authority & being exposed for the liar, deceitful, cruel, controller he is.

So `God`s authority` is the key in regard to His purpose, a step at a time. ...

This is a good point that many people miss: Satan/Lucifer has been losing his power in stages.

Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

According to the Hebraic sages, there was an original fall even before man was created, from the very highest realm. He is now either in the lowest heaven, and/or in the "heavens"/sky/air of the material world: opinions differ on this. He will soon to be cast to earth, at the beginning of the Trib.

In contrast, God's chosen of mankind have been increasing in power, from Adamic flesh-level, to Abrahamic soul-level, to Christ spirit-level. Those accounted worthy will soon enter into light-level, and be able to dwell in presence (not just in spirit) before the heavenly throne.

Hi WilliamL,

Some good thoughts there. And I thought I might enlarge on a point we are both making re Satan`s authority decreasing. People can get confused thinking that because Satan effects us on earth that he is only on earth. However scripture tells us that he is the prince of the power of the air.

`And you he made alive, who were dead in trespasses & sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,...` (Eph. 2: 1 & 2)

This connects with the scripture in Colossians -

`For by Him all things were created that are in heaven & that are on earth, visible & invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers.` (Col. 1: 16)

Thus we see that there is an invisible realm where there are powers & authorities over principalities, Satan being the prince, the leader of that realm. Thus he can effect & influence the whole world -

`We know that .....the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.`  (1 John 5: 19)

However, in God`s timing Satan will be cast to the earth.

`So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil & Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, & his angels were cast out with him......Woe to the inhabitants of the earth & the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.` (Rev. 12: 9 & 12)

Satan`s authority & power is then greatly limited. He enters a man who then has great power & authority to deceive the world.

`And the dragon gave him his power, his throne & great authority.` (Rev. 13: 2) 

Isaiah 14 & Ezekiel 28 give good descriptions of Satan`s downfall. Praise the Lord for He is the great conqueror, overcoming all strategies of the enemy.

Marilyn.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I think this is a great question and it leads me to ask how do our prayers make a difference in spiritual warfare? For instance, if (hypothetically) we have guardian angels, should we pray for them to be stronger, or are they already as strong as they can be? Or when we pray to be delivered from temptation does that keep the fallen angels away from us?

To answer your questions, the bible does not speak of individual guardian angels. We pray to be delivered from our own temptations, temptation to sin. The one central truth that protects us from the spiritual realm (the dark side of it), is Jesus, no more, no less.

To answer the question the OP asks, in how do angels and demons fight? The bible is not clear on this, and if God wanted us to know He would have told us through His Word.

2 kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

I have heard this refers to angels who are always fighting for us. I have also heard this is only a vision to show him God's hand is with him. Comments?

Excellent reference! What Elisha saw was not a vision but what is reality in the spirit realm. We need to be assured that we are more than covered by the angelic realm, who do war against the powers of darkness and its principalities in the earthly realm---continuously on our behalf.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

It's been boggling my mind lately as to how they actually battle.

The how is less important than the why, and is beyond human understanding for the simple reason that the spirit realm is generally invisible to human beings.  We know from Scripture that angels are extremely powerful creatures and:

1. There is ongoing warfare in the heavenlies, and even the holy angels can be hindered from fulfilling their missions (Dan 10:13).  This verse also reveals that there are hierarchies of angels (Eph 6:12; Col 1:16) , with a "prince" over each nation, and "the prince of the power of the air" (Satan) over all the evil spirits (Eph 2:2).

2. Angelic beings can overcome other angels by dominating them and even casting them down to the earth (Dan 8:10).  The "how" is not revealed.

3. The warfare described in Rev 12 is just before the Tribulation, when Satan and all his evil spirits are cast down to the earth (Rev 12:7-9) following which the Antichrist takes control of the world (Rev 13:2,7,8).

We should always bear in mind that "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this Law" (Deut 29:29).

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

Satan`s authority & power is then greatly limited. He enters a man who then has great power & authority to deceive the world.

This needs some clarification. We see in Rev 13 that God allows Satan, the Beast and the False Prophet complete control of this world for 3 1/2 years (Rev 13:5).  Which means that his power is not diminished at that time but temporarily increased, because the restraining power of the Holy Spirit is removed (2 Thess 2:6,7).

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Just as Jesus overcame Satan by the word of God, angels use weapons of truth to defeat the demonic realm---the word of God concerning the person or thing which is being fought over.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Satan`s authority & power is then greatly limited. He enters a man who then has great power & authority to deceive the world.

This needs some clarification. We see in Rev 13 that God allows Satan, the Beast and the False Prophet complete control of this world for 3 1/2 years (Rev 13:5).  Which means that his power is not diminished at that time but temporarily increased, because the restraining power of the Holy Spirit is removed (2 Thess 2:6,7).

There is no scriptural support that the Holy Spirit will be removed, or that His role will ever change, quite the opposite in fact.

John 14:16 I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17 that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

What scriptures portray the Holy Spirit in such a role as restraining?  He is a guide and a comforter.  When it comes to restraining evil, and protecting believers from the dark powers of this world, angels would be the proper fit.  That is what is displayed throughout scripture, the identity of the restrainer from Thessalonians would be more fitting of the archangel Michael.

Jude 1:9  But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

Daniel 10:21  However, I will tell you what is inscribed in the writing of truth. Yet there is no one who stands firmly with me against these forces except Michael your prince.

Daniel 12:1  “Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued.

Revelation 12:And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war, and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven.

When Michael and his angels throw Satan out of heaven coincides with the restrainer being removed, as specified in II Thessalonians, all of this occurs at the beginning of the great tribulation, the final 3 1/2 years.

II Thessalonians 2:And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

We have a weapon that we are suppose to carry . = a sword (Eph.6)

To stand against the devil.

Humans vs Spirit devils on the battle ground.

The winner is ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  269
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,235
  • Content Per Day:  3.48
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Ezra,

You are right I should have had some clarification of my comments. Thank you for pointing that out. As to Satan`s power being limited, I believe that once he has been cast out of the `principalities & powers` realm that I previously mentioned then the authority that is associated with that area is gone. He will then have to work through the agency of the anti-Christ to get the world to worship him.

I believe Satan does enter the anti-Christ to enable him to `apparently come alive again,` (Rev. 13: 3) & gives him `his power, his throne, & great authority.` (Rev. 13: 2) Also an interesting verse in Isaiah 14: 16 says, `Is this the man who made the earth tremble, who shook kingdoms....` `nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, to the recesses of the pit,..` (v. 15)

Satan always had power over the kingdoms of the earth, as he offered them to Christ, however when the Holy Spirit`s restraining power is released, then we know that Satan can bring in his final plan. I understand that that can seem he has more power, but to my understanding because he is limited to the earth then he has less power.

A study of the different realms & the powers there would be beneficial perhaps in the future on another thread.

Marilyn.