• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Now Karate is bad?

It seems people are looking for the boogie man under every stone.

Well, what would expect from a devout Christian community? We all have good intentions, but this is a matter of personal faith. You know why you are practicing yoga, you know if consciously you are really trying to invoke other gods or not. This is a matter where you should have this faith to your self. You will get a lot of "touch not, taste not, handle not" in response to this question, and to be honest, rightly so.

The Church will not just accept any practice and she will defend the truth or what is even perceived as  practices against the truth with much conviction. Bodily exercise profits very little, the flesh is nothing, do all the yoga stretching you want, it will not push you away from God. Where the problem lie, is in offending you brothers or sisters weak conscious. That would be the real sin. 

Our rule of life is by the Holy Spirit, not a bunch of created rules and regulations. The thing is, we do not only live to please ourselves. As many in this thread have already said, it may not be evil on your part, but if it appears so to another, you can hurt your testimony to them or wound a brother or sister through your freedom. 

1Co 10:28  But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience. 
1Co 10:29  I am referring to the other person's conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom being judged by another's conscience? 
1Co 10:30  If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 
1Co 10:31  So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 
1Co 10:32  Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Ive had some folks ask me about yoga and how it affects the witness to unbelievers.

Perhaps a few things that Christians might wish to consider.

1.  There are non-Christians who believe that 'all paths lead to God / etc.' 

There are many Hindus who might be willing to accept Jesus as one of the god.... but not as the ONLY God.... or the ONLY way.

But Christians on the other hand... believe that Jesus is the ONLY way. 

This is a major difference.. and possibly a major stumbling block.. in trying to explain about Christianity.

2.  If Christians were to take part in yoga.. especially traditional yoga positions..  I am concerned if this might cause some hindus .. [especially in asia].. to believe that the Christians are either participating in a religious ritual of their religion.. or at least endorsing the religion...  even if the Christians claim otherwise? 

And if so.. how could this possibly affect the witness not just of that particular Christians but possibly other Christians too?   

If Christians insist that Jesus is the ONLY way... but 'appear' to be participating / endorsing a non-Christian religious ritual...  

the words of the Christians and the actions of the Christians might not seem to match. 

And this could put other Christians in a difficult situation - in trying to explain.

Just my personal thoughts.  No offence intended to anyone. 

Thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Thank you for your apology sister, it shows great maturity and should act as an example to others!

1to3. Before you jump on your high horse and judge overweight preachers and their pride, you probably need to check your pride. There are many overweight preachers out there, but they love their people and they pray for them and visit them in the hospital and do all kinds of service for them. So frankly, your little prideful rant is uncalled for.

I would like to apologize to you shiloh and to all persons.

After some reflection and prayer, I would like to apologize to you all for my comments on being -fat-. At the time I wrote it I did not see it as being not the right thing to do, I thought to point out that food indulgences can be another stronghold that many can be blindside about.

I do apologies and will try to in the future be more careful as to what I write in a post.

My goal is to grow in Christ always and repent when I see I've missed the mark.

I hope you all can accept my apology

Sorry , I am truly sorry

God Bless you!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

The Church will not just accept any practice and she will defend the truth or what is even perceived as practices against the truth with much conviction. 

If only Jesus had realised that rather than giving the response he gave when that argument was used by the religious leaders of the day! 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Sorry Another poster,  but the evidence that Christian holidays is sketchy at best  and is often based on a revised version of history.

When you are married, and you having dinner with someone who is not your spouse, it not only raises concerns from friends, but from your spouse as well.  Again, it is about avoiding all appearance of evil.  If the relationship matters to you, if your spouse matters to you, then you will do NOTHING that could potentially compromise the relationship.   It should be the same with your relationship with God.

Billy Graham would not even ride alone in an elevator with a woman who was not his wife.  It is no wonder his ministry has gone down as one of most honest ministries and why he is seen as a man of integrity.   He didn't compromise.  His marriage was important to him.  That's the kind of holiness that we should have in our relationship with God. 

If you think that is all that is needed for a successful marriage then you are sadly mistaken. Perhaps you should actually try reading what I wrote again but actually take your time and read carefully. My wife had no problem with it. See that is the key. She knew about it. I don't know about you but personally I don't think in the middle of a crowded restaurant is an ideal place for horizontal dancing. Perhaps you do but nothing is going to happen. It is not a line being crossed by having lunch with a person. If I was to say invite them to my place or go to their place then yeah that would be cause for concern but having lunch in public is not an issue unless one is weak in faith. Seriously if that is a problem then no married person should work in a place where they interact with members of the opposite gender. After all that could give the wrong impression too. One of the worst sins of the church in general is they have through their actions (intentionally or unintentionally) made it a sin to be friends with people of the opposite gender. This causes so many problems in the church. 

We will have to agree to disagree on the origins of christian holidays. If you want to send me some links to info I will read it (may take a couple of months) and consider it. Please send via private message or start a new thread and provide a link to that thread rather than derail this one though please.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

How many people participate in Archery?  Should these people not do so due to their pagan beginnings and how the Chinese made it into an art of Ch'an Buddhism, later known as Zen Buddhism?

Chess was started in India, another pagan practice about how to win a battle in style by sacrificing some to win the contest ... an art of war tactics.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?  That's because it is.  When someone decides to participate archery, it is highly doubted they are practicing the oriental art anchored in Buddhism.   When someone plays a game of chess, it is for logical thinking, not an attempt to learn military tactics.  That is the same when people use yoga techniques to stretch, or martial arts for self defense.

Anyone, looking for a reason to dismiss something, will find it if they dig deep enough with the goal of dismissal.  Look at how people tell us we should not be driving a car due to the pollution.  Watch TV due to some programmings.

It is when people do all these with the intention of practicing the pagan/spiritual side that they are in error.  A tool is only a tool.  It becomes wrong through the evil intent of the one using the tool.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

How many people participate in Archery?  Should these people not do so due to their pagan beginnings and how the Chinese made it into an art of Ch'an Buddhism, later known as Zen Buddhism?

Chess was started in India, another pagan practice about how to win a battle in style by sacrificing some to win the contest ... an art of war tactics.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?  That's because it is.  When someone decides to participate archery, it is highly doubted they are practicing the oriental art anchored in Buddhism.   When someone plays a game of chess, it is for logical thinking, not an attempt to learn military tactics.  That is the same when people use yoga techniques to stretch, or martial arts for self defense.

Anyone, looking for a reason to dismiss something, will find it if they dig deep enough with the goal of dismissal.  Look at how people tell us we should not be driving a car due to the pollution.  Watch TV due to some programmings.

It is when people do all these with the intention of practicing the pagan/spiritual side that they are in error.  A tool is only a tool.  It becomes wrong through the evil intent of the one using the tool.

I agree with you completely, however, Yoga nearly always does lead to a spiritual side once you get to the advanced stages whereas advanced archery doesn't. Archery is simply taught as bow and arrow techniques whereas Yoga starts off by being taught as stretching, breathing, etc, but as you become more advanced you will be introduced to meditation and other stuff.

That's of course if you practise Yoga correctly and to its fullest. Most Yoga classes don't teach 'proper' Yoga and are therefore safe.

Yoga is not just exercises it is a complete spritual discipline. Archery, chess and other such things, to my knowledge are never taught as spiritual disciplines (okay, well sometimes they might be, but you would clearly find that out if you ever joined such classes).

Yoga on the other hand can be deceptive. There are Christians who may be doing the full meditation Yoga and not realising that it is dangerous. I think most Christians would realise there was something wrong if they joined an archery class and everybody started doing Buddhist chanting. With Yoga they don't realise that because they believe that the meditation is beneficial, and are not aware of the dangers or of its Pagan roots..

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

People don't believe this but yoga is satanic, it may be healthy but it comes from the hindu religion. There are plenty videos on Youtube regarding yoga being satanic. Just like Easter was created by catholics and is actually a satanic, pagan holiday but....that's another story....

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Is it okay if I read my horoscope, but not "really believe in it spiritually"? - Okay, probably not the same, but still,,,,

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Is it okay if I read my horoscope, but not "really believe in it spiritually"? - Okay, probably not the same, but still,,,,

You're right, it's not the same. There is a difference.

When you read your horoscope you don't practise deep meditation and open your body to various unclean portals (well, at least I hope you don't).