ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

I posted this a few years ago and quite frankly was a bit astonished at the responses. There are many new folks now and other ones have left, so I thought I would ask this again. 

Can an unbeliever play music or sing in the church on a regular basis as part of the service? I do not mean in the general audience but as part of the choir or musicians. Do you think this is right or wrong? Im curious about your reasoning and/or scriptural support. 

Hi Ayin,

Singing and playing music is not the same as worship. Worship is an expression of the heart. Leading a congregation in worship is a ministry, as much as any other ministry, and therefore a position of example. I think it would be unwise to place a non-Christian, or even a new Christian, in a position of ministry. They could be used to cause unrest in the group, as well as come under spiritual attack themselves.

1 Timothy , chapter 3 provides guidelines for people in position of example.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/16/1964

Personally I do not want unbelievers playing in the church I attend. Satan is always looking for ways to get in the church.

Why in the world would a church want musicians that aren't Christians singing or playing in church?  Have we gotten to the point where there are so few Christians, that this is necessary?  In my opinion, I would say absolutely not.

:thumbsup:

Only By

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:

the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

The Spirit Of The Living God

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,

singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My favorite worship leader would often turn his back to us, raise his hands and face to the Lord and pour out his worship and praise to God. He would inspire us to do the same and soon the congregation would be lost in worship. No unbeliever can do that.

I don't have a problem with Christians from other churches singing solos or leading in special events if they are well known personally to the staff. But our worship team is also a small group with spontaneous prayer and devotions that is very close. So they need to basicly qualify as a deacon.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

My favorite worship leader would often turn his back to us, raise his hands and face to the Lord and pour out his worship and praise to God. He would inspire us to do the same and soon the congregation would be lost in worship. No unbeliever can do that.

I don't have a problem with Christians from other churches singing solos or leading in special events if they are well known personally to the staff. But our worship team is also a small group with spontaneous prayer and devotions that is very close. So they need to basicly qualify as a deacon.

I saw something happen in my church yesterday that I hadnt encountered before. The pastor asked the worship team to play a specific song when they were all done. He wanted to hear it before he gave his sermon. It was Kadosh by Paul Wilbur. As we sang this in church, the volume of the singing increased, like doubled or tripled. It was amazing. The congregation singing to the Lord at the top of their lungs. Could an unbeliever playing music have helped lead the congregation in this kind of display to the Lord? In this adoration and praise of Him?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I saw something happen in my church yesterday that I hadnt encountered before. The pastor asked the worship team to play a specific song when they were all done. He wanted to hear it before he gave his sermon. It was Kadosh by Paul Wilbur. As we sang this in church, the volume of the singing increased, like doubled or tripled. It was amazing. The congregation singing to the Lord at the top of their lungs. Could an unbeliever playing music have helped lead the congregation in this kind of display to the Lord? In this adoration and praise of Him?

Thank you Jadey. I looked it up on U Tube and sat listening to it with goosebumps while tears ran down my face. It rivals Handels Halleluia Chorus. We will be having a Sedar again this year at our church and I want to suggest it for one of the songs we sing. Can you imagine singing this in heaven?

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Jadey....

Sis,forgive me if what I say was already said because I honestly have not read every post but I do have some very firm beliefs about this ,,,,The music & singing in church is for the purpose of Praising & Worshipping Almighty God,not for entertainment and I see this becoming a very big problem in many churches,,,,,,,Music is a Ministry in itself,the people playing instruments or singing are doing it all giving God the Glory,,,,,,,an unbeliever,by no means,should be permitted to be on the Praise Team or part of the Music Ministry at church

For many years I sang in church & it took many years before I was allowed to,before that I sang(professionally) IN THE WORLD,for me,,,,I was a Christian but I was performing,I was not in Worship,not Praising God,,,,I took the Glory    In any area of Ministry within the church the pastors,elders & leaders have to get to know people so they can be placed in their respective positions,,,,,,,how can you have an unbeliever in a position where the Body of Christ has come together  to give God Praise,to Worship Him,,,,,they would be "performing" & that is not what it is all about,,,,,,,,,      I don't even understand Christian musicians that are paid,I don't understand how anyone would accept payment nor can I understand anyone paying???This is just unheard of in my church & the 2 prior to this one I now attend

It is a big world out there & plenty of places where unbelievers can perform ,,,,,what would be their reason for even wanting to sing or play an instrument on Sunday at church?If there is any reasoning other than to Glorify God then that will not suffice,,,,,,,,I remember when that question was asked of me......my answers were the reason I was not able to join the choir for some years,,"I am singer,thats what I do,I sing well,I love to sing,I,I,I,I,"    and then finally,my answer was  "To Praise & Worship my Lord & give Him Glory"..........Halleluyah!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I hear you Kwik,  the "I 's" do labor for self.  I'm afraid the "labor of love" in ministry of any capacity in the Body of Christ where the saints are edified and built up in the Lord has dwindled greatly.  Like you said it should all be about giving the glory and worship to God.  I've never understood why it is that if some are gifted why is it they are pushed to exploit their gifts in the form of getting rich or profiting from it.  I certainly can understand that point of view and mindset from a worldly point of view.  But I sure don't get it when the gifted of the Lord thinks in the form of gain from their talents in the church.  I've pondered this before within my own heart when it comes to music in the church.  Why do so many think their gifts in the Lord should be exploited for gain instead of simply freely giving out of love to the saints as they were freely given.  I just see it as the "labor of love" in the Lord is to often bought and paid for only mere laborers for hire in order to glorify and uplift self.  The body of Christ has lost discernment and begun accepting those in the world and the mindset of the world where the "I 's" have it.  There should be no place for unbelievers in leadership roles when it comes to the ministering of the saints and worship.  The church should let the blind lead the blind to stay out of the ditches.  Darkness can't lead into the Light as He is in the Light.

blessings

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/09/1989

I say yes. It can be a great way to bring an unbeliever to Christ. Further to this, if a Church is willing to allow an unbeliever to cook for them, make coffee for them, listen to them or serve them in any way, it would be just a tad hypocritical to not allow them to sing don't you think?

The greatest commandment is love. And we are known by our fruits. We should apply this to every situation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

This topic has been bugging and I am not sure why but it has. I just feel that God works in ways we can not even began to understand. I feel that God can use unbelievers. God used Rahab who was a prostitute ( Joshua 2) I think that we let our own personal issues get in the way of God's work sometimes. We want everything to be just so. But God may have other plans which are better then ours. So unless the unbeliever was doing something to lead people away from God, this would be something that I feel would need to be brought before God. Not something that I myself can stand up and vote no or yes on. For I am not the wise.