• Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,458
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,728
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  124
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Shalom everyone,

I thought I would do a series of teachings on the parallels on one of the most "prophesied" event in the Old Testament -- and the focus of the New Testament authors -- the Resurrection.

Most people have never examined how many stories are directly connected to the most historic and earth changing event in the history of the world -- the resurrection.

I will begin with the sign of Jonah and continue this series showing how many "pictures" of the resurrection are throughout the Scriptures.

Jonah is laid out in a chiastic structure, which means that it a story that is laid out in a fashion where the story is unveiled -- then its central theme is identified -- then un-wrapped the same way it was originally wrapped.

A) Jonah 1:15  So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.

B) Jonah 1:16 Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.

C) Jonah 2:1-2a Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish,  saying, "I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me;

D) Jonah 2:2b out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.

E) Jonah 2:3 For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me.
                                                   F) Jon 2:4  Then I said, 'I am driven away from your sight; yet I shall again look upon your holy temple.'

E) Jonah 2:5 The waters closed in over me to take my life; the deep surrounded me

D) Jonah 2:6b yet you brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God.
             C) Jonah 2:7 When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
       B) Jonah 2:9 Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love. But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the LORD!"

A) Jonah 2:10 And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land.

So it's a story wrapped up with Jonah being cast into the sea and concludes with the sea casting Jonah to the land.  Each point A coincides with A, and B with B, so this story unveils itself in a unique way so we can examine the main point. 

The main point of Jonah -- that he was driven out of the sight of the Lord -- yet will once again look to the Temple!

As Yeshua (Jesus) stated in Matthew --

Mat 12:39  But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
Mat 12:40  For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

He's referring to Jonah's sign -- of three days and three nights -- the number 3 will be used by the LORD over and over again as a sign of the resurrection.

Jonah 1:17  And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Just as Jonah "died" and was "resurrected" so this was a sign of the resurrection.  Jonah should have died -- yet he didn't!   Jonah swallowed by a great fish -- a picture of death.  Was in the belly of the fish, three days and three nights -- a sign of the burial of Yeshua.  Jonah being spew up out of the belly of the great fish -- the resurrection.  Notice that Jonah's head was wrapped -- Jonah 2:5 "weeds were wrapped about my head" was a picture of the crown of thorns!

Just as Yeshua left His glory when he came to earth -- driven out of the sight of the Lord at his death -- YET He was restored to His glory in the Holy Temple.

John 17:5  And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

He RETURNED to the TEMPLE!  Resurrection!

As you can see the picture of Jonah is much deeper, and I'll do a series of teachings dealing with one of the most prophesied events in the Bible -- the resurrection!

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

Excellent series! I look forward to more.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,582
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  1

Wonderful!  I am looking forward to gleaning also!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,663
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,761
  • Content Per Day:  2.40
  • Days Won:  28

Amen George , I'm looking for more too:)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

George, thanks for these studies.

I have a question.

I noticed, so far, from the studies, that the resurrection means, returning. Is this a broad meaning for the word?

I thought the resurrection was mainly defined for the returning (restoration) of life, the resurrection of the body. 

Where as the resurrection of the spirit is called the ascension, the returning to the Holy Temple, or Heaven where God is (on the 40th day).

Please excuse my confusion. Hoping you can clear this up for me.

God Bless.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,458
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,728
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  124
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

In simplicity, the resurrection is the rising from the dead.  That which is dead -- becomes alive again.  :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you George.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,688

I am wondering, without been destructive,

Does the resuraction, has something to do,

"you will surely die"

What kind of death is that?

Because he continue to live, and went on to have children, and he lived for a long time.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

Does the resuraction, has something to do,

"you will surely die"

Because he continue to live, and went on to have children, and he lived for a long time.

When God said "You will surely die" He had both the first and the second deaths in mind for all humanity.  The first death is the separation of the soul and spirit from the body, and resurrection brings them all back together again. But it is the body which is resurrected or brought back to life. The second death is eternal separation from God in Hell. 

We are not told whether Jonah had any children or how long he lived, but we do know that since he was a prophet, he will also be resurrected with all the saints.  His "resurrection" out of the whale's belly was definitely a type of the resurrection of Christ, since Jesus clearly alluded to that.  Since Jonah prayed while he was in the whale's belly, he was conscious during that time.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,688

ADoes the resuraction, has something to do,

"you will surely die"

Thank you but, I still have the question I had before.

I had Adam in mine. Who had the life of God,

and then follow the other one.

What did the one Adam obey and follow had?

Did he give it to Adam?

Then, dif Adam pass it on to his off springs?

Thank you for your kind response.