Is Deliverance Ministry Biblical?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I wanted to ask what some of you think about "deliverance ministries". Is it seeking man instead of God? Or is it the Holy Spirit working thru the vessel of a man? I know some of these ministries seem "out there" but there are others that seem more legitimate. (i.e. look on Facebook for DeGraw Ministries - Healing and Deliverance). Is this a gift of the Holy Spirit? Or do some of these people have gifts such as discernment or word of knowledge (or prophecy) that enables such a ministry.

I feel like I am in bondage (I think due to some old hurts). I have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost and do not hear His voice as some people hear. It seems it would be an advantage if the Holy Spirit is able to legitimately talk or work thru a person. Thoughts? I am close to the DFW area.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

printer-friendly.gif

Question: "What is deliverance ministry, and is it biblical?"

Answer:
The generally agreed-upon definition of “deliverance ministry” will usually focus on the casting out of demons or spirits in an attempt to solve problems related to specific demons. For example, a deliverance minister may seek to help someone overcome anger by casting out a spirit of anger. Deliverance ministries also focus on tearing downspiritual strongholdsin one’s life, finding inner healing, and claiming the victory in Christ over all enemies. Many refer tosoul ties, curses, and the “legal rights” of demons. Biblically, demons or evil spirits are known to be fallen angels that rebelled in heaven with Satan (Revelation 12:4,9;Isaiah 14:12–20;Ezekiel 28:1–19).

There is certainly quite a bit in Scripture about Satan and his horde of demons. There is little said about deliverance from them, and nothing said about deliverance as a “ministry.” The offices of the church are found inEphesians 4:11. First were the apostles and prophets, the foundation of the church—with Jesus being the Chief Corner Stone (Ephesians 2:20). Next are listed evangelists, then pastors and teachers. The ability to cast out demons is not listed as a spiritual gift or a ministerial duty.

The Gospels and Acts relate that Jesus and the disciples cast out demons. The teaching portions of the New Testament (Romans through Jude) refer to demonic activity yet do not discuss the method of casting them out, nor are believers exhorted to do so. We are told to put on the armor to stand against spiritual wickedness (Ephesians 6:10–18). We are told to resist the devil (James 4:7) and not give him room in our lives (Ephesians 4:27). However, we are not told how to cast him or his demons out of others, or that we should even consider doing so.

It is interesting that we have no record of Jesus’ instructions to His disciples onhowto cast out demons, with the possible exception ofMatthew 12:43–45, where some insight is given. When the disciples discovered that demons were subject to them in the name and authority of Jesus, they were joyful (Luke 10:17; cf.Acts 5:16;8:7;16:18;19:12). But Jesus told the disciples, “Do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven” (verse 20).

Rather than being given a specific “deliverance ministry,” we have an authority in the powerful name of Jesus. One day, John said to Jesus, “We saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.’ ‘Do not stop him,’ Jesus said. ‘For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us’” (Mark 9:38–40). Authority over demons is clearly the power of the Lord at work, whether or not the exorcist has a special ministry of deliverance.

The emphasis in spiritual warfare is highlighted in verses such as1 John 4:4, “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world [the devil].” The victory is ours because of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us. Believers can overcome their struggles with the past, habits, and addictions, because “everyone born of God overcomes the world” (1 John 5:4). We need prayer, godly counsel, and the support of a good church, but not necessarily a “deliverance minister.”

We are told to “be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith. . . . And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast (1 Peter 5:8–10).

The key to victory in the Christian life is to be filled (controlled and empowered) with the Holy Spirit on a moment-by-moment basis (Ephesians 5:18). The Father knows who are His: “Those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God” (Romans 8:14). The Holy Spirit will not indwell anyone who is not born again (John 3:3–8;2 Timothy 2:19;Acts 1:8;1 Corinthians 3:16), so the first step in spiritual victory is to place our faith in Jesus Christ. Then, rejoice that Jesus is in you and you have His power and His victory.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/deliverance-ministry.html#ixzz3dlQ7nATG

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

I would say it depends on the minister, I watched a documentary a few years ago, before I came to the US, about African churches in the UK giving people severe beating (I think it may have been a Panorama documentary on the BBC) under the guise of a "Deliverance minister".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I would agree Ricky....   it depends on the minister.....   Personally  I am very leery of healing ministries....   but that's from personal experiences,

Delivery ministries as Ricky says would depend on the individual.     since it's a work of the Holy Spirit it's extremely dangerous to express opinions on them without knowing a lot about each one.....    it's not good to bad mouth the work of the Holy Spirit even if one is just mistaken about it.   So i would be very hesitant to say anything negative about any of them without spending a lot of time checking them out.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I feel like I am in bondage (I think due to some old hurts). I have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost and do not hear His voice as some people hear. It seems it would be an advantage if the Holy Spirit is able to legitimately talk or work thru a person. Thoughts? I am close to the DFW area.

Under ideal circumstances, you would have a point.  Given the phoniness of so many of these ministries, as other have pointed out, be extremely vigilant. In the meantime, fast and pray and wait on the Lord.

Guest shiloh357

A lot of the deliverance ministry stuff is just spiritual quackery.   It is on the same level as a lot of those old time crack pots and their phony "miracle tonics."  

I used to hear people talk about needing deliverance from a spirit of jealousy, or a spirit of lust, or a spirit of anger, as if there are evil spirits running around called, jealousy, lust, and anger.    I have also heard women claim that another woman whom they didn't like has the "spirit of Jezebel."

It's a way of dealing with  anger and struggles with lust without having to take personal responsibility for them.   it's easier to blame one's anger issues on an evil spirit or a demon than it is to go the Lord and repent and seek pastoral counseling and renewing one's mind in the Scriptures.

Most of these "spirits"  are nothing more than personal moral and spiritual failings that people need to responsibility for and repent of. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Under ideal circumstances, you would have a point.  Given the phoniness of so many of these ministries, as other have pointed out, be extremely vigilant. In the meantime, fast and pray and wait on the Lord.

I agree Ezra.There is the WOF movement and the Emergent Church movement which are very popular right now.There is just a lot of false doctrine now in our Churches.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,256
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Mark 16:17a NKJV And thse signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons;

But I agree that your problem can probably just as well be handled by forgiveness, and many others can best be handled by repentance. You have the power to forgive past hurts because Jesus lives in you. He wants you to put on the mind of Christ by reading the New Testament daily till you see the world as He sees it--lost and suffering. He has compassion on sinners for while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. In addition, He asked God to forgive even those who were crucifying Him while He was hanging on the cross. Christ in you can forgive the most horrible things done to you in the past. It is a matter of your being willing to ask Him to do it, and to ask Him to give you compassionate love for even these people.

This does not mean that you need to put yourself in danger. And it doesn't often happen overnight. But in time we may grow to have pity on them and see that they are lost and heading for hell without Christ. They only acted the way the fallen world does in all its ugliness. And there but for the grace of God go I.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:thumbsup:

Sin

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. Genesis 6:5

And Salvation

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26

It's A Matter Of The Heart

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  03/31/1955

Praying for you biscuit ,don't be hard on yourself ,God loves you .