IGNORED

The 'Selfie' obsession - I don't get it!

MorningGlory

Guest shiloh357

I was watching program and a police detective says that thanks to social media and everyone posting pics of themselves in facebook, and revealing every facet of their lives to the world, sexual predators can gain information about a person in 20 minutes that used to take 6 months to find before the advent of social media.  People don't understand that they are giving criminals access into their lives.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,256
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

20150530_144010_zpsb2o87w9m.jpg

Just to irritate a few :P

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Is that you other one? Lol

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

great-another-selfie_zpsyseaa9fo.jpg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Taking a selfie can be quite startling......when you see all the wrinkes that you never saw by looking in a mirror!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I just reactivated my Facebook page (my kids nagged me into it) and scrolling through it was quite an experience. Do people really need to post every single thing they do? And the constant selfies! One old friend posted 16 in one day. She's not a kid; she's in her mid forties and just average looking but there she is ....in short shorts, tight dresses, low cut blouses in her car. What? I think this world has gone crazy. I'm curious if it's just people I know or is this common to post pictures of yourself ad nauseum? This article makes some valid points.

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014/04/scientists-link-selfies-to-narcissism-addiction-and-mental-illness.html

Out of all my friends there are only a couple b or three that post a lot of pictures of themselves.
Have you ever posted a picture of yourself? I can truthfully say that I have never posted even ONE. I don't see what the motivation is but going overboard annoys your 'friends'.

I have rarely in vacation pictures, but I actually take very few pictures where I am in them. The ones I have posted were requested. Some friends like to know who they converse with.

We also have a neighborhood watch group that is closed to all outsiders where we discuss neighborhood doings and security.

We pass along many news stories as we do here. I get more revelant news on my feed than I do Drudge. Have friend's from all walks of life and all over the world. Some even threaten to kill me some day, but we have had some very interesting conversations about Allah.

Taking a selfie and taking a vacation picture of a person standing in the picture of scenic view are two very different things.

I am not into the selfie thing at all.  My cellphone is from 2001 and doesn't do selfies given that the camera doesn't work.  I am still using the ancient phone because I am just about the last person who uses a phone as a phone and this phone does the one thing I need a phone to do. 

I remember a time when people would have considered selfies to be vain and narcissistic.   If a man was seen constantly taking pictures of himself all of the time, he would have been written off as a conceited, self-centered jerk.   He would have been the brunt of jokes and such.   Today, that very same guy is considered to be on the cutting edge of social media and trendy.

That is because our world has taken a very dangerous turn.

20150530_144010_zpsb2o87w9m.jpg

Just to irritate a few :P

wave.gif Hi Sam   :grin: That lady in back of you is giving you the Eagle eye   :26:

I was watching program and a police detective says that thanks to social media and everyone posting pics of themselves in facebook, and revealing every facet of their lives to the world, sexual predators can gain information about a person in 20 minutes that used to take 6 months to find before the advent of social media.  People don't understand that they are giving criminals access into their lives.

Yes,that is very sad but very true.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I just reactivated my Facebook page (my kids nagged me into it) and scrolling through it was quite an experience. Do people really need to post every single thing they do? And the constant selfies! One old friend posted 16 in one day. She's not a kid; she's in her mid forties and just average looking but there she is ....in short shorts, tight dresses, low cut blouses in her car. What? I think this world has gone crazy. I'm curious if it's just people I know or is this common to post pictures of yourself ad nauseum? This article makes some valid points. http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014/04/scientists-link-selfies-to-narcissism-addiction-and-mental-illness.html

Out of all my friends there are only a couple b or three that post a lot of pictures of themselves.
Have you ever posted a picture of yourself? I can truthfully say that I have never posted even ONE. I don't see what the motivation is but going overboard annoys your 'friends'.

I have rarely in vacation pictures, but I actually take very few pictures where I am in them. The ones I have posted were requested. Some friends like to know who they converse with.

We also have a neighborhood watch group that is closed to all outsiders where we discuss neighborhood doings and security.

We pass along many news stories as we do here. I get more revelant news on my feed than I do Drudge. Have friend's from all walks of life and all over the world. Some even threaten to kill me some day, but we have had some very interesting conversations about Allah.

Taking a selfie and taking a vacation picture of a person standing in the picture of scenic view are two very different things.

Not if that person was you.