robin hood

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

I have met many many people who have called themselves christians simply because they were raised with parents who called themselves christians because their parents called themselves christians. There are many people who call themselves christians simply out of family tradition rather the any real born again experience. In the U.S., then number of christians is very high, but the number of born again people is very low. So, it makes sense to distinguish between a christian in name only and a born again Christian by faith in Jesus alone. 

In the U.S., with the majority of christians being christians without the born again experience, the minority of born again Christians are not going to keep the christians by family tradition from calling themselves christians. christians with a small 'c', do not really know what it means biblically to be a Christian, thinking they are Christians. The use of born again gives a hint maybe, of the difference between a christian and a Christian.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, if you are a Nazarene, you know the difference whether or not you are BA or not.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Well, if you are a Nazarene, you know the difference whether or not you are BA or not.

From the very beginning, the focus of the Nazarene Church has been personal holiness for believers. According to the church website, their goal is that all believers “experience a deeper level of life in which there is victory over sin, power to witness and serve, and a richer fellowship with God, all through the filling of the Holy Spirit.” In contrast to the modern Pentecostal tongues movement, which teaches that the evidence of Spirit baptism is speaking in tongues, the Nazarene Church teaches that the evidence of Spirit baptism is the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Following the Arminian doctrine of Wesley, the Nazarene Church believes that a person can renounce or walk away from his/her saving relationship with God, and, therefore, Nazarenes have no assurance of salvation. As a result, there is a real emphasis on working to maintain that right relationship with God. The Church of the Nazarene is an evangelistic, missions-minded body that takes their relationship with God seriously and desires to share that reality with the world around them.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Nazarenes.html

Edited by bopeep1909

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Robin hood  what do you become when you are born again?   

Do you become a christian?

When I was born again by water and the Spirit I became a son by adoption of the Father , was incorporated in the the Body of Christ , his Church , and became a temple of the Holy Spirit.......and lots of other glorious things .

Do you not call yourself a christian?

Yes.....amongst other things . As St Paul wrote , " I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. "  But I don't go around saying that I am a crucified Christian .

And yet, you are a crucified Christian.   Born again, simply means "born from above."  Jesus used that term and to call one's self a "born again Christian"  means that they are a Christian who at some point in their past was born again.

You really don't have anything to stand on.

Jesus said : "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. "

I don't go around saying I am a cross bearing Christian , just as I don't go around saying I am a "Born Again Christian" .

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

We praise His Holy name. :D

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

When I was born again by water and the Spirit I became a son by adoption of the Father , was incorporated in the the Body of Christ , his Church , and became a temple of the Holy Spirit.......and lots of other glorious things .

Does that mean you are a christian?

Yes.....amongst other things . As St Paul wrote , " I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. "  But I don't go around saying that I am a crucified Christian .

So I want to make sure I am not misunderstanding you

You call yourself a christian?     If you could just say yes or no that would make it very clear for me.  :)

And yet, you are a crucified Christian.   Born again, simply means "born from above."  Jesus used that term and to call one's self a "born again Christian"  means that they are a Christian who at some point in their past was born again.

Jesus said : "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. "

I don't go around saying I am a cross bearing Christian , just as I don't go around saying I am a "Born Again Christian" .

Why is a redundancy in expression of such great concern to you?

Guest shiloh357

Doesn't matter.  That's what you are.    You may not like those terms, personally.  That's fine.  I really don't care about that.   But when you start imposing your wacky views on us and tell us that WE are unbiblical for using them, that's where you cross the line.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

So I want to make sure I am not misunderstanding you

You call yourself a christian?     If you could just say yes or no that would make it very clear for me.  :)

A few posts back , about a couple of hours ago , I answered "Yes" to your question .

That doesn't mean that I am going to go around saying I am a "Born Again Christian" .

St Paul wrote : " But we have all been baptized into one body by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit."

So I have been baptized , but I am not going to go around referring to myself as " A Baptized Christian" .

If you look through the thread you will see some of the reasons given for the use of the term "Born Again Christian" . I will leave you to make your own judgement on the reasons given why some Christians have latched on to this phrase from a few verses in John's Gospel to describe their Christian identity .