LadyKay

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,647
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I really think it is different with each of us.

How do you know that you have the Holy Spirit oo?

Oh you were talking to other one... I thought you were going to break into a Robert Planet medley... :emot-headphones:

If you are referring to the feelings aspect of being Spirit filled, yes. I agree with you.

But the OP was referring to the baptism of the Holy Spirit and that is what happened when we believed in Jesus. And this baptism is from the inside.

Matthew 3:11 (AV)

11I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Baptism of the Holy Spirit = salvation

Baptism of fire = judgment

1 Corinthians 3:16 (AV)

16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Edited by JohnD

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,155
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you are referring to the feelings aspect of being Spirit filled, yes. I agree with you.

But the OP was referring to the baptism of the Holy Spirit and that is what happened when we believed in Jesus. And this baptism is from the inside.

While I would agree with that, I still say that it is different with different people....    I think it depends on your state as you become a Christian.   If you are a person like Paul was, it can be quite dramatic, but if you come from a church family and just kind of fall into place as you grow up, it's usually not nearly as spectacular.    but in both cases one builds a personal relationship that is very intimate in nature.  I know some people who spoke in tongues and others that have not that are obviously filled with the spirit..

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit ?

I suppose one way is if we bear the fruit of the Spirit .

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control ." 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Assuming that you are first a Christian; how does one know if they have the Holy Spirit in their life? How do you know when you have been filled with the Holy Spirit as I hear so many people say? I have been told that first you get saved, then you get baptized with the Holy Spirit. How does all this happen and how do you know if it has happen to you?

Hello LadyKay,

I really think that one of the surest sign of one having the Holy Spirit, is witnessing.  13)  Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth; for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.  14)  He shall glorify Me, for He shall receive or mine , and shall shew it unto you.  John 16:13-14   But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.   Acts 1:8

Another way is God's love being instill in our hearts as it is impossible for any human to love as God does without His Spirit.  And hope maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.  Romans 5:5    Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a great heart ferventy:  I Peter 1:22

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

I can only give you my reasoning from scripture I believe, and from experience having received the Holy Spirit by evidence of speaking in tongues.

Notice below that any not of God, or of the world cannot receive the Holy Spirit. To me this is saying that we must be born of God prior to receiving the Holy Spirit; that happens when we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 16:31  And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved. 

John 14:17  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Acts 19:2  He (Paul) said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

Why would Paul ask believers if they had received the Holy Spirit if all believers automatically received Him? Notice next that they were baptized; were they saved yet? Next came laying on of hands and speaking in tongues.

Some years ago I taught in a BaptistChurch, and taught that we did receive the Holy Spirit the moment we were saved. One of my students challenged it as it were about speaking in tongues, and I told her I didn't believe in it. Long story short, me and the whole class went to an assembly that believed that and we all, including my wife and two children; fourteen in all if I remember it correctly were filled with the Holy Spirit with the exception of the young women that questioned it. You can make of that what you will. I reckon one great persuasion was the fact that my wife who is Hispanic heard another praying in such perfect Spanish she went to her later and asked about it. The women knew no Spanish. We never experienced that again, but heard of many such instances in testimony.

I believe that if you go through Acts, and read of Paul's writings of the Spirit with an open heart, you will start seeing things concerning this that will give you more insight into it. Being filled with the Holy Spirit does not save us, and all Christians have the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9.

I used to teach that when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away with concerning knowledge, tongues, and prophesies (1 Cor 13:10). Well we still need knowledge, and most of us here in America still retain a tongue of English, some more than one tongue. God confused the language of Babel; will He return us all to one language again when we're with Him?

Just my thoughts in Jesus' name - larry 2   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

Assuming that you are first a Christian; how does one know if they have the Holy Spirit in their life? How do you know when you have been filled with the Holy Spirit as I hear so many people say? I have been told that first you get saved, then you get baptized with the Holy Spirit. How does all this happen and how do you know if it has happen to you?

A person knows when they are born from above.  There are ways to know afterward.  The main way to know afterward is a person's life will drastically change forever.

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+2:38

After being born from above, the Holy Spirit can ping our human spirit to provide feedback and verification.

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

http://biblehub.com/romans/8-16.htm

The key is repenting.  We cannot come to the light until our past evil deeds are exposed. Since God is all-knowing, a past evil deed cannot be exposed to God since God already knows our past evil deeds.

Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.

http://biblehub.com/john/3-20.htm

Fear and faith are almost identical.  Both are a belief that a future event will happen, except one is positive and the other is negative.  Therefore, we at least need faith, as opposed to fear, to expose our past evil deeds.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--

http://biblehub.com/ephesians/2-8.htm

Godly grief comes right before repenting.  It is not the same as humiliation.  Humiliation can occur when we expose our past evil deeds.

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

http://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/7-10.htm

Pride is the opposite of being humiliated and is associated with disgrace.  Grace is associated with humiliation, such as when we expose past evil deeds.

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

http://biblehub.com/proverbs/11-2.htm

After being born from above, we can maintain a clear conscience so that our connection doesn't quench and/or grieve the Holy Spirit.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

http://biblehub.com/james/5-16.htm

Edited by Secret__

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Acts 10:44-48 KJV
44  While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45  And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46  For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47  Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48  And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.  

Well this is one sure evident  to know if you have the Holy Ghost.