IGNORED

DO YOU BELIEVE ITS OKAY TO EAT PORK, AS A BELIEVER IN GOD ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

41 minutes ago, soonsister said:

My opinion is yes, it is OK to eat pork. We're not Jews nor Muslims, right?

Correct. "Put pork on your fork".

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/4/2015 at 9:47 PM, SINNERSAVED said:

HELLO EVERYONE, I was roaming around in the old testament and in Leviticus I came arcoss that we, if we are believers and follow God ,we are not to eat swines fleshĀ  in chapter 11, now I did not know this ,but I heard it on the radio the calvary chapel question and answer show, saying that this was in the past, and it does not affect us today,as gentile christiansĀ or that it was a custom of the past , and now we are under grace and not under the law, so we can eat all the bacon we want, is this biblical ?

Ā 

"As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean." Rom 14:14
Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 12/31/2016 at 8:20 PM, soonsister said:

My opinion is yes, it is OK to eat pork. We're not Jews nor Muslims, right?

Dear sister Soonsister,

Ā 

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I agree with you.

All Old Testament laws were repealed, including dietary laws. This can be seen in the following passages:

Ā 

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œFood doesn't go into your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer." (By saying this, he declared that every kind of food is acceptable in God's eyes.)ā€ (Mark 7.19 ā€“ New Living Translation).

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œLet no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Ā (Touch not; taste not; handle not; which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.ā€ (Colossians 2.18-23).

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œNow the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.ā€ (1Timothy 4.1-5).

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œHim that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.ā€ (Romans 14.1-4).

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œAnd he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,and saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.ā€ (Acts 10.10-15).

Ā 

However, two things need to be observed:

First, we must be careful in order to ingest only foods that are good for health. After all, we have to take care of our body, because it is the temple that the Holy Spirit uses to manifest Himself to all:

Ā 

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œKnow ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.ā€ (1Corinthians 3.16,17).

Ā 

Second, we must be careful not to offend or be a stumbling block or scandal to the people around us. After all, our ultimate goal is to seek that the people around us may know the salvation of Jesus Christ, as well as the virtues of the Kingdom of Heaven:

Ā 

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œBut why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.ā€ (Romans 14.10).

Ā·Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  ā€œWhether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.ā€ (1Corinthians 10.31-11).

Ā 

May Jesus enable us to remain only in the good work (Colossians 1:10) and to bear fruit in it only for Christ.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Hello Brother InChrist,

I was going over some of these old discussions & having a good laugh, what seems clear to some is not clear to others & visa versa. Which shows us the need toĀ research & being wrong is not a bad thing as long as you check all to make sure it can harmonize. I have always used the analogy the bible is like a jigsaw puzzle we can all see the pictureĀ even though we have many pieces left over, but until we have all the pieces in there position we don't have the full truth.Ā Ā 

I am wondering if the text, "you are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols" was not just specifically for the hearers,Ā due to an specific issue, in the light of Paul saying "an idol is nothing". I will look at it more closely & would like your thoughts on the contradicting verses. I agree with you 100% on all but am in a quandary about that, as I haven't looked at it from the stance of permanence.Ā 

God bless Brother Ā 

Ā 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

Genesis 6 - clean and unclean animal distinction before the flood and after the fall of mankind - not at all Jewish - but still defined by Lev 11 where we are told to not eat rats, cats, dogs, bats or diseased beef -- all of it called "unclean" in Lev 11.

Isaiah 66 predicts that at the end of time - people will be judged who eat mice.

The Gospel is not put in place to make rats clean meat. As most people will admit.

Acts 10 - Peter sees all sorts of mice rats snakes etc - and later interprets the vision to mean "call no man unclean" -- He does not interpret it to mean "eat more rat sandwiches". There is no "eat more rat sandwiches" Gospel for us.

The clean animals went into the ark by 7's and the unclean by 2's -- eating even one of the unclean animals after the flood would have resulted in "extinction" of whatever species you just ate. So then the clean animals "by 7's" would not have that problem.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by BobRyan

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

You will not get an argument from me on abstaining from unclean animals,Ā I agree 100% on all you have said & have brought up all those points in previous discussions.Ā Ā 

Peter's Vision is the absolute cliff hanger, after all those years after Christ's death. Date written A.D. 63-70. he still hadn't eaten anything common or unclean.Ā Was he in denial or did Jesus forget to tell him? The answer was clear further on, Acts 10:28Ā he says God has shown me not to call anyĀ manĀ common or unclean.Ā 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, if someone enjoys pork then it is perfectly OK to eat it.Ā 

Ā 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 5/17/2017 at 11:15 PM, Riccardo said:

You will not get an argument from me on abstaining from unclean animals,Ā I agree 100% on all you have said & have brought up all those points in previous discussions.Ā Ā 

Peter's Vision is the absolute cliff hanger, after all those years after Christ's death. Date written A.D. 63-70. he still hadn't eaten anything common or unclean.Ā Was he in denial or did Jesus forget to tell him? The answer was clear further on, Acts 10:28Ā he says God has shown me not to call anyĀ manĀ common or unclean.Ā 

Yep that is a fact. Peter knew nothing about a command to "eat rats" in Acts 10. ONly that we are to "Call no man unclean"

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Pork was forbidden in Leviticus because it often had worms and it was too difficult to get the heart up to kill them (except in Hawaii). So it was forbidden.

I do believe you can eat pork:

"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?" (Jesus Christ, Matthew 15:17)

"because it does not enter his heart, but it goes into his stomach and then is eliminated." (Thus all foods are clean.)" (Jesus Christ, Mark 7:19)

"No, Lord!ā€ Peter answered, ā€œI have never eaten anything impure or unclean. The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean. The same vision was repeated three times. Then the sheet was suddenly pulled up to heaven." (Acts 10:14-16).

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." (Colossians 2:16)

"The one who eats everything must not belittle the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted him." (Romans 14:6)

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit." (Romans 14:17)

"One person's faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables." (Romans 14:2)

"They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving." (1 Timothy 4:3-4).

"You have died with Christ to the spiritual forces of the world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its regulations. Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch. Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh." (Colossians 2:19-23)