IGNORED

Preachers and wearing a hat or ball caps during preaching..

angels4u

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Of course, it is possible for a man to wear a baseball cap in church and yet have a heart full of reverence and awe for the Lord. And it is also possible for a man to remove his hat in church yet disdain God in his soul. God sees the heart. But the issue, sometimes, is what our actions communicate to others; people cannot see our hearts, so we must often show them our respect by what we do.

I did read exactly the same word in igotquestions?

Of course, it is possible for a man to wear a baseball cap in church and yet have a heart full of reverence and awe for the Lord. And it is also possible for a man to remove his hat in church yet disdain God in his soul. God sees the heart. But the issue, sometimes, is what our actions communicate to others; people cannot see our hearts, so we must often show them our respect by what we do.
http://www.gotquestions.org/hats-in-church.html

What if your preacher is no punk but is wearing a baseball cap backwards? Or what if he wears a winter hat?

Everyone, at some point, forgets to link back to an article they use to answer a question. How does what you have done in regards to bopeep contribute to the discussion or was it just meant to embarrass or demean her?

Thanks Rick for taking a look at this.That is exactly what I thought. :(

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

My pastor wears a kippah to show he is under (submissive to) the Lord's authority. He came back from vacation and forgot his kippah in his office. Someone lent him a ball cap which he put on backwards to give his sermon. 

Throw rocks now folks.

What is his scriptural basis for this? That was a Jewish custom not N.T. Doesn't he have this backwards?

People are discussing this issue , Jade, only one religion these days throws stones and it is not Christian. Even fervent arguing is not throwing stones or rocks and shouldn't be equated to it.  

Actually in my experience christians throw more stones then anyone else. We like to blame the ggovernment for persecuting us, but the reality is we are out own worse enemy. Were to busy throwing stones at each other to effectively do anything, and those who arnt bickering are to apethetic to do anything. The government is where it is today because of the apethy and the in fighting of the church. 

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Of course, it is possible for a man to wear a baseball cap in church and yet have a heart full of reverence and awe for the Lord. And it is also possible for a man to remove his hat in church yet disdain God in his soul. God sees the heart. But the issue, sometimes, is what our actions communicate to others; people cannot see our hearts, so we must often show them our respect by what we do.

I did read exactly the same word in igotquestions?

Of course, it is possible for a man to wear a baseball cap in church and yet have a heart full of reverence and awe for the Lord. And it is also possible for a man to remove his hat in church yet disdain God in his soul. God sees the heart. But the issue, sometimes, is what our actions communicate to others; people cannot see our hearts, so we must often show them our respect by what we do.
http://www.gotquestions.org/hats-in-church.html

What if your preacher is no punk but is wearing a baseball cap backwards? Or what if he wears a winter hat?

Everyone, at some point, forgets to link back to an article they use to answer a question. How does what you have done in regards to bopeep contribute to the discussion or was it just meant to embarrass or demean her?

Thanks Rick for taking a look at this.That is exactly what I thought. :(

Sorry Bopeep it was not my intention to hurt your feelings in any way , all I was looking for was an personal answer , I hope you can forgive me? Love you sister..

My pastor wears a kippah to show he is under (submissive to) the Lord's authority. He came back from vacation and forgot his kippah in his office. Someone lent him a ball cap which he put on backwards to give his sermon. 

Throw rocks now folks.

What is his scriptural basis for this? That was a Jewish custom not N.T. Doesn't he have this backwards?

People are discussing this issue , Jade, only one religion these days throws stones and it is not Christian. Even fervent arguing is not throwing stones or rocks and shouldn't be equated to it.  

Actually in my experience christians throw more stones then anyone else. We like to blame the ggovernment for persecuting us, but the reality is we are out own worse enemy. Were to busy throwing stones at each other to effectively do anything, and those who arnt bickering are to apethetic to do anything. The government is where it is today because of the apethy and the in fighting of the church. 

Sorry to say this is often true , shouldn't it be the other way around knowing what Jesus did for us?

You must not be aware of Islam?

Criticism is not = to stones or rocks

Davida, Christians can be very   judging and criticizing  of other Christians...

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

You must not be aware of Islam?

Criticism is not = to stones or rocks

The only reason islam is gaining ground in the us is because of the ineffectiveness of the church. Sure there's a difference between criticism and stone throwing and I haven't seen anyone in this thread throwing stones but by in large Christians are their own worst enemies.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Throw rocks now folks.

It is a Messianic church so the Jewish custom is why he does it. The women wear head coverings too. But if someone doesnt do it, no one is upset. So its not legalistic.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

We try to interpret these passages in a vacuum of culture and history and it really does us a disservice in understanding the point Paul is making.  This passage has been used to heap condemnation on men who have hair that goes down below the collar and it is used to heap condemnation on women who have hair that is not long.  That completely misses the point that Paul was making.

Shiloh,

Up until very recently (possibly the 19th century) all that Christians had was the Bible itself, without reference to any cultural norms or quirks of other ages. And they followed the teachings of the Word -- men with uncovered heads, women with covered heads in worship and prayer. And had it not been for Modernism, the Beatles, the Hippies, the New Age Movement, Feminism, and other winds of doctrine which swept across North America we would not even be having this discussion.

So what you are talking about (Corinthian culture and history) was never a part of Bible teaching. This is extra-biblical information, which may or may not have any bearing on the subject.  If I were to do a line by line exposition of this passage of Scripture (1 Cor 11:1-16) I would be able to show that this teaching is the teaching of the Holy Spirit for all ages and for all times.  Otherwise since every generation has its own cultural norms, we would need a brand new Bible each time fashions changed.

This same idea about cultural norms is being used by so-called "evangelical feminists" to promote the idea that women should be pastors and teachers and take authority over churches "because what Paul said was for the 1st century, not the 21st". However, the Word of the Lord standeth forever, and is forever settled in Heaven.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

What are you opinions on this without copying from igotquestions?

Do you think it's legalistic to believe they can't wear a hat or backwards ball cap during preaching the sermon?

Why do we let our selves get hung up on such unimportant issues. When a pastor preaches I am more concern with what is being preached then what they are wearing.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

I haven't read the whole thread, but I do believe that it is the culture for a man to remove his hat in various contexts, such as said before saying the Pledge of Allegiance, singing the National Anthem and praying/attending church. I am not legalistic on the matter, but rather pragmatic, I think a preacher wearing a hat in church while preaching could be seen as inappropriate and a distraction, and even people questioning the authenticity man's ministry.