IGNORED

Preachers and wearing a hat or ball caps during preaching..

angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I haven't read the whole thread, but I do believe that it is the culture for a man to remove his hat in various contexts, such as said before saying the Pledge of Allegiance, singing the National Anthem and praying/attending church. I am not legalistic on the matter, but rather pragmatic, I think a preacher wearing a hat in church while preaching could be seen as inappropriate and a distraction, and even people questioning the authenticity man's ministry.  

Amen Ricky ,I  agree it is just not respectful..

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I cannot tell you how thankful I am that God does not look at us and use terms such as punks.    I"m a flawed sinful being that Jesus saw as He hung on that terrible cross yet loved me enough to stay there until "It was finished" .  He loved me so much He gave me the  gift of eternal life with Him and a heart that wants to share His Love.  

I have seen those "punks" and their heart that is so full of the love of Jesus I would listen to them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

I"m sorry I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't like name calling especially when it comes from believers.  How can we make such judgments and still win this world? 

Edited by RustyAngeL

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I cannot tell you how thankful I am that God does not look at us and use terms such as punks.    I"m a flawed sinful being that Jesus saw as He hung on that terrible cross yes loved me enough to stay there until "It was finished" .  He loved me so much He gave me the  gift of eternal life with Him and a heart that wants to share His Love.  

I have seen some of these so called "punks" and their heart that is so full of the love of Jesus I would listen to them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

I"m sorry I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't like name calling especially when it comes from believers.  How can we make such judgments and still win this world? 

Amen Rusty , who are we to judge people by their appearance?

Jesus loves us for who are are...and we come freely to Him and receive freely undeserved grace for by His stripes we are healed ,only Jesus can   give us eternal life and nobody can snatch us out of His hand ,all the power and  glory belongs to Him  ____all ye sinners come just as you are .

You are very right to say that punks are often very caring people with good personalities, Jesus is still looking around in the valley trying to find people who will trust Him..

Guest shiloh357

We try to interpret these passages in a vacuum of culture and history and it really does us a disservice in understanding the point Paul is making.  This passage has been used to heap condemnation on men who have hair that goes down below the collar and it is used to heap condemnation on women who have hair that is not long.  That completely misses the point that Paul was making.

Shiloh,

Up until very recently (possibly the 19th century) all that Christians had was the Bible itself, without reference to any cultural norms or quirks of other ages. And they followed the teachings of the Word -- men with uncovered heads, women with covered heads in worship and prayer. And had it not been for Modernism, the Beatles, the Hippies, the New Age Movement, Feminism, and other winds of doctrine which swept across North America we would not even be having this discussion.

Yes and we know more now than people in previous centuries thanks to advances in biblical archeology and manuscript evidence along with history.   And in some cases, what I have said is was not really unknown as much as it was just ignored.

The problem is that we interpret the Bible according to culture, either ours or the original culture out of which the Bible was born.  We all have our sacred cows and have held on to them dearly, but the historical cultural facts I highlighted are true and nothing you can say will change history

So what you are talking about (Corinthian culture and history) was never a part of Bible teaching. This is extra-biblical information, which may or may not have any bearing on the subject.  If I were to do a line by line exposition of this passage of Scripture (1 Cor 11:1-16) I would be able to show that this teaching is the teaching of the Holy Spirit for all ages and for all times.  Otherwise since every generation has its own cultural norms, we would need a brand new Bible each time fashions changed.

This same idea about cultural norms is being used by so-called "evangelical feminists" to promote the idea that women should be pastors and teachers and take authority over churches "because what Paul said was for the 1st century, not the 21st". However, the Word of the Lord standeth forever, and is forever settled in Heaven.

No, that really misses the point.    God did not circumvent the culture; rather, he used it as a vehicle to communicate truth.    Not only that, but you fail to understand that I Corinthians is a letter written to a historical church that had questions for Paul, which he was addressing regarding their relationship to the surrounding culture.   That is what Paul was addressing.   There are parts of Pauls’ epistles that are not “doctrine”  per se, but are practical issues for the people is writing to, and we need to apply good hermeneutics to know the difference between the two.

This really has nothing  to do with cultural feminism as they really don’t know anything about ancient near east culture and often pervert cultural information to support their twisted ideas about the Bible.   Historical cultural context is an important part of biblical interpretation and is used by solid, conservative biblical scholarship to uphold the truths of Scripture.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

hate to break it to you shiloh, but the Bible has never changed-we dont know more about it, then what could be known 500 years ago. More had to be taken by faith 500 years ago, but the message has not changed. Gaining more archealogical evidence-does not add anything to what we know about the Bible.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I can see by this thread that there are many on here who do not have a good understanding of hermeneutics. May I recommend Fee & Stuart's "How to Read The Bible For All It's Worth". It is an excellent resource for learning the exegetical method.