IGNORED

what do we do when someone verbally abuses you?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Try having a thick skin, and understand that words are only words. The power they have over us, is the power we give them. Rising above others at times, can help. Forgiveness can do wonders, but clinging to resentment, helps the hurt to cling to us.

Probably a great over simplification or generalization, but it works for me.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

53 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Try having a thick skin, and understand that words are only words. The power they have over us, is the power we give them. Rising above others at times, can help. Forgiveness can do wonders, but clinging to resentment, helps the hurt to cling to us.

Probably a great over simplification or generalization, but it works for me.

Ya true dear lovely Omegaman. Hugs and blessings.

Holding onto bitterness and resentment releases the power of the enemy but holding onto love and forgiveness releases the power of God. Throw any hurt in the sea of forgetfulness.

10255498_308946752586675_8252935402595156110_n.jpg

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  07/07/1978

if you were smart you would over power them with the word of God and let God's Verbs be your energy when they feel your righteous energy I have discover they usually run away and like the demonic spirts that cause that, unless they are you father or mother or someone else in your family in which case you have to rebuke them and retreat, and have nothing to do with the women in your life that refuse to make connection other than the old divorced destinty that they plan on coming back to you stuck in some hippy time warp during a rain storm and I am sure they will still be too embaressed to know jseus then as well. -"If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you"-uncoordinated bible quote

yes thanks dear Jason, it is best to let the spirit guide you in what to say, usually a loving reply and if being verbally abused, hold onto your self respect after answering them with a word of God.  Best to put your confidence more in God than man as scripture says and to look to God for approval not man, as man can let you down sometimes.  Also if someone tells you you are no good or says something bad about you, refuse their words and tell yourself the opposite, what God says to you.  God says i am not this, I am His precious child and God says 'I am precious in His sight'.  

10888356_1006260052736569_5325812176494798748_n.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Sometimes an abuser is labeled an abuser because they are, in fact, an abuser and the label fits the motivations/actions. Other times, people can't take the truth that, if spoken in love, may hurt but is intended for edification; if they are quick to label the other person as being abusive, they may not examine themselves and miss out on being built up and refined.

Regardless of at what point a dialogue digresses and an argument begins, we always have the choice in how to respond. 

Keep in mind that an abuser is abusive for a reason... it's a symptom but not an excuse. Despite who "started it," we can always pray for them and respond in love, humility, grace, assertiveness, truth, forgiveness, etc. (and sometimes it's necessary to walk away).

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/01/1975

i suppose we should ignore the person or respond with a kind word but i must admit that i am often guilty responding with anger

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Do your best to hug them and tell them that you love them :thumbsup: 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

The wise fear the LORD and shun evil

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

It depends. I don't believe we should resort to verbally attacking anyone back, but we don't need to accept verbal abuse, either. Asking someone to stop speaking to you in a particular way, and if they refuse, telling them that you need a break from talking with them, is perfectly fine. Accepting bad behavior is not loving. It's enabling. 

i myself, need to tell myself good things as i have low self esteem and confidence caused by years of mental abuse.  Deep down I believe I am a good person, but it's hard dealing with angry, difficult, abusive people like I've had to endure. Prayer produces life and makes changes.  Things are improving with prayer tho.  Praise Jesus! I have been taught to listen to Jesus' words and not the hurtful words of some others.  Also, telling myself how God sees me as His precious beloved child of God, and not how the abusive relative sees me as.     

Edited by soft fleecy lambsy
spelling