IGNORED

Which Bible Version can you recommend (KJV, NIV, NKJV, etc)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, Teditis said:

Plenty of non-English versions of the Bible were translated using sources other than the TR and

many of those churches are flourishing while Western-churches are floundering.

5 hours ago, Butero said:

That is some convincing argument!  I know of fundamental KJV only Baptist Churches that are among the largest churches in my area, while churches that use modern translations are floundering.  Anecdotal evidence is worthless. 

Perhaps the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the Bible version used is irrelevant. After all, there must be many other factors that determine whether a church flourishes or flounders. Differences in culture must also be taken into consideration.

There must be very few churches in the UK that use the KJV - I haven't come across one in the last 40 years - so I can't make any meaningful comparisons.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

4 hours ago, gdemoss said:

Greetings friend!

The only concern or grey area I have seen in the bible version debate that gives me real reason to think twice is one of authority.  It depends strictly on the authority God gives men in the earthly realm.  King James was the official King of the English at the time he authorized the use of the KJV for English speaking peoples.  Whatever weight God places behind the authority of that mans words I suppose may reign.  I, myself, am not certain.  I do love my KJV :)

I love the KJV too, GD. It is a fine Bible and can be trusted as the very words of God.

Guest Teditis

Anecdotal or not, it's clear that people are getting saved and leading meaningful lives

as disciples to Jesus by reading the Word of God through Bible versions other than the

TR/KJV.

On 4/22/2016 at 11:00 AM, Deborah_ said:

'Missing verses' again... they are only a problem if you are already used to the KJV. Mark 15:28 (and other verses like it) is duplicated elsewhere in the gospels; they are not missing from the Bible as a whole. I don't miss Mark 15:28 because I can read the same words in Luke 22:37.

If such things annoy or upset you, use the KJV. I don't mind at all. But please don't try to convince me that I'm missing lots of verses that I know I can find and read perfectly easily. 

I've met no-one who has suffered spiritually as a result of using a modern translation. I have met people who were seriously shaken in their faith because someone cast doubt on a Bible version they and their church were using. The controversy does far more harm than good, in my opinion.

Deborah, this is the hardest thing to get through to a serious kjv onlyist. There really is nothing missing. I've asked on numerous occasions what are we missing when reading the Newer versions, and have yet to get even close to an answer. 

If all the counsel of God is present in the new versions, whats the conspiracy? What warrants a born again child of God to call a translation of God's word a perversion? 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Butero, one thing I have to share the nuttiness of KJV Only. Many youth where I am at have pointed fun at KJV ONLY. How? The KJV has unicorns in it and satyrs (which are greek mythology). When told the KJV is right and modern versions are wrong, they then equate the KJV with The Lord of the Rings fantasy.... So are you the same saying that unicorns mentioned in KJV and satyrs are for real or not?

2 hours ago, Butero said:

There are people doing that in other countries where they don't have Bibles.  That is not the point.  The point is that the people putting out modern translations have no business removing part of the established text.  Yes, you can be saved without the entire Bible, but you are better off having the whole counsel of the Word of God. 

What "Established" text? You put them all down....Even the TR you deny some of the texts that make it up.

2 hours ago, Butero said:

Unicorns simply are a type of ox with one horn.  Those who think it is speaking of a horse with a single horn are just ignorant.  The word unicorn is the correct word, and I don't care what those ignorant youths think.

An ox with one horn is an unicorn? When did this happen? Not in any dictionary do I see that. What of the satyr? The KJV clearly says that. So Greek mythology is not myth?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Butero said:

I have given you an example with regard to a verse mentioning prayer and fasting being necessary to cast out certain devils.  The great commission is said to not be in the most reliable manuscripts, and if that is not enough, I have a list of additional verses left out.  I don't have time to mess with that right now, but I will be happy to post some of them, perhaps tomorrow night.   

What you just said is blatantly false.  Show me where the modern translations show that prayer and fasting is required to cast out certain devils.  If you can't, what you said is a lie.  I also showed that this does equal Christian doctrine, and I did so using scripture. 

Um, the verse on prayer and fasting is one of my favorite verses because it demonstrates the humility that is required to serve Christ.  I have hung on to this verse for years and have never read the KJV in my private devotions because it is present in the HCSB, NASB, and 11 different versions in Matthew 17:21; as well as in HCSB, and 8 other versions in Mark 9:29.  

I don't even know what version I was reading the first time I saw it because stuff like this didn't matter to me then, but it wasn't KJV, and this is one of the first verses that motivated many periods of fasting ever since.  Fasting represents dependence on God for deliverance.  Therefore, the disciples are not ever going to have power to do great things and impress people in their own strength.  This has been a foundational principle in my walk with Christ so I agree, it does matter.  It does need to be accurate.  It is important.  It is there though too...  It's not missing.  

9 hours ago, Butero said:

I have given you an example with regard to a verse mentioning prayer and fasting being necessary to cast out certain devils.  The great commission is said to not be in the most reliable manuscripts, and if that is not enough, I have a list of additional verses left out.  I don't have time to mess with that right now, but I will be happy to post some of them, perhaps tomorrow night.   

What you just said is blatantly false.  Show me where the modern translations show that prayer and fasting is required to cast out certain devils.  If you can't, what you said is a lie.  I also showed that this does equal Christian doctrine, and I did so using scripture. 

That is not an example of missing Christian doctrine. I'm starting to believe you do not know what essential or fundamental Christian doctrine is. The modern Bibles are ripe with instructions on prayer and fasting. Are you really going to hang on to your conspiracy theory on that one verse? You really believe the modern translations are trying to hinder people from casting out demons by leaving out "fasting"? Yet, people are being saved and leading Godly lives through reading the new versions.

What sense does that make? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,138
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, ccfromsc said:

Butero, one thing I have to share the nuttiness of KJV Only. Many youth where I am at have pointed fun at KJV ONLY. How? The KJV has unicorns in it and satyrs (which are greek mythology). When told the KJV is right and modern versions are wrong, they then equate the KJV with The Lord of the Rings fantasy.... So are you the same saying that unicorns mentioned in KJV and satyrs are for real or not?

? you do know that Greek Mythology actually existed pre-flood?