IGNORED

Should Christians Be Part of More than 1 Church at the Same Time??

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Willa,,,,,

Yes,I too found a non-denominatrional church here that has no "membership" protocol,,,,,,,,I thought that was great ,,,,in many areas it seems lacking though,,,,,,I don't know,I don't think about it much right now,I have Trust in God that He will take me where He wants me to be......

Love-your Sis:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

On occasions I have attended more than one Church in a single day.  I have mentioned before that I prefer a certain Bible version and particular Worship music.  I go on Sunday mornings with one of my daughters and her family to a "near perfect Church".  Then, later in the evening I go to a different Church with my wife and another one of our daughters.  Both Churches have membership available but neither one require or push it.  I am not a document committed member but I do consider myself a member as we contribute financially to both. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

It is possible for us to attend more than one Church in a day but I do not think it is wise to be a member of more than one Church.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

There is the concern that you can't fully commit, and thus serve, if you're stretched too thin between churches.

However, I do not see anything wrong with attending more than one church. My current church (SBC) is where I have been called to serve in ministry. I am not getting the teaching I want or need like I did at my previous church (non-denominational). I have considered attending my old church on Wednesday nights or Saturdays to get the teaching I miss. Because my schedule is so hectic with school, I am just listening to the podcasts of the sermons, and maybe that's a better option for me right now. In addition to that, I've been reading the Bible and doing devotionals with someone else and that has helped tremendously... for the learning and the fellowship.

Maybe one could argue you should get everything you need at one church? Pray about it. See where God leads you. The important thing is that you have a fellowship of believers where you can grow in your faith and serve the Lord.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

there is only one church!

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As far as I am concerned, there IS only one church, it is all believers everywhere. Nothing wrong with having a special relationship with one local body, but it is not a marriage, you are not unfaithful if you participate at more than one, in my opinion. Sometime, is might be beneficial, and if you align with more than one, and they are both serving Christ, why would there be any conflict?                  Omegaman

Amen,this truly is my favorite comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as I mentioned earlier I do attend more than one local local Body ,,,,,,,it is really wonderful to connect with Brothers & Sisters everywhere and there is no conflict,how can there be where Christ id our Head?      

Great post Mega,Praise Jesus,Glory to God!                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

My thinking is that if one is in the process of looking for a church this can work until one settles on one place.  I wouldn't recommend it on a permanent basis, however, sometimes the husband or wife may be wanting to go to one denomination while the other another.  Attending both together makes sense.

It is always better if possible to chose one as different churches can differ from one another considerably.  And that is why we say, "church home."  It is difficult to have two.

But two is better than none, right? 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 5/23/2016 at 6:36 AM, kwikphilly said:

Amen,this truly is my favorite comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as I mentioned earlier I do attend more than one local local Body ,,,,,,,it is really wonderful to connect with Brothers & Sisters everywhere and there is no conflict,how can there be where Christ id our Head?      

Great post Mega,Praise Jesus,Glory to God!            

Thank you Kwik, 

I am always so pleased to see how often, you are a voice of encouragement to others.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

When I first replied in this thread, it was based on philosophical grounds, and a lack of any scriptural imperatives against the practice. As I was rereading this thread, it occurred to me to respond from a position of personal experience.

In the 1990s, I attended a large church. I liked that church, it remains to this day, the best experiences I have had in corporate worship. Maybe that was just an emotional response, but something about that particular church, gave me a sense of being lifted into the very throne room of God. Though it was a large congregation, I still experienced a personal worship experience, that was very individual, my heart, and His heart, together in the presence of others.

Now, in a larger church like that, it is easy to be anonymous, to be a stranger in the midst of friendly strangers. That is a problem, as that is not really fellowship. A lot of people are comfortable with that, but that is not the best recipe for personal growth. So, every Wednesday night, I also met in a home, with a dozen of so other Christians. There, the opportunity to pray personally for other, and be prayed for personally by others, is present, real, and practical. That is a real positive.

There also, is the opportunity the minister to (and to be ministered to by) others. If a person needs help with out of control weeds in their yard, or mending a fence, you can do that. Sometimes, you make special friends that way, and have other modes of contact fellowship. Maybe a person is depressed by a death in the family, or over busy due to a new baby etc. making a meal once in a while, can be very helpful.

In these types of gatherings, there are ways to be accountable or help others to be accountable, when having a problem living out the faith. When done right, this is done in a loving and not overly judgmental fashion.

This home type of fellowship, might be part of your chosen "home church's" programs, or may be independent, or part of some other local church's functions. Either way, it is something that is a helpful in the lives of believers, especially for those who desire to grow.

At this same time (the early '90s), I also drove 250 miles round trip, to attend the best church I have ever attended. Why would I do that? That Church was exceptional in a lot of ways, but the teaching there, was incomparable. The pastor/teacher at my main church, was very good, and the teacher was quite educated and qualified, at least in the sense that he had been seminary trained for the job. However, his qualifications and experience did not match the qualifications of the man at the church I drove 125 miles to attend. You see, at my home church, there were 3000 people, split over 4 or 5 services (it varied while I attended that church). Why does not matter? When your 'audience' is five or six hundred people, there is a very wide variation of knowledge, understanding, and spiritual maturity. Because there are non-Christians, and babes in Christ present in a group of that size, the pastor needs to dumb down the message, serving mostly milk, so as not to leave people scratching their heads, wondering what it was, that they just heard. Having been a devoted Christian for over 10 years in those days, I needed more meat, less dairy product. At this other church, there were typically 40 or so, in attendance, and the message/teaching was matched to the audience, each of whom was know personally to the pastor. Also, the format was unusual, we sat at tales, with room to spread out our books, bibles, notes, etc. and questions were asked and answered in real time, we were not limited to being spoken at!

I also participated in other church and para-church activities. I see nothing at all, wrong with pursuing spiritual growth aggressively, and opportunities you serve others with the gifts God has given. Sometimes, those opportunities and not so available in some churches. I do not see it as dividing loyalties, I see it as recognizing the the body of Christ is universal, not local and certainly not restricted to a single physical address.

I do not believe that I have suffered at all, by broadening  my Christian experience, and I know that others have benefited from my doing that as well. Not only at the time that I was doing that, but over the years since, people might still benefit from my experiences. 

Some here, after reading my posts, might disagree with that, and have the opinion that I do more harm than good, but I know from comments that this opinion is not unanimous. In any case, were are more accountable to God for our behaviors, than to pleasing the tastes of individuals who disagree with our opinions and methods. Like me or what I do, or not, I am trying to be helpful, and broad eperience has helped me do that, I believe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:40 AM, HAZARD said:

If your not a member of this church, your in the wrong one, according to Scripture, its that simple.

Paul never taught Jesus + some church brings salvation, Paul never taught Jesus + certain sacraments brings salvation, Paul never taught Jesus plus legalism brings salvation, Paul never taught Jesus + purgatory brings salvation, Paul never taught circumcision brings salvation, Paul taught only Jesus + nothing else brings salvation.

We cannot do anything, or add anything to all Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit did to save mankind. 

All we need do is believe in Him and in Him who sent Him.

Galatians 1: 6, I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    7, Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    8, But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9, As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
    10, For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
    11, But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
    12, For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christs church is not a building or a particular religious group with some special name?  The new Testament Church, of which Jesus Christ is the head is a called out body of people of all nations who have been born again and who have lived a true Christian life and died in the faith. It also includes all those who are alive in Christ today. This present church is called the "ekklesia" of the New Testament times, called out of this world to evangelize the world in this age.

The church, in its largest signification is the whole company of redeemed in all ages, in Heaven and in Earth (Eph. 3:1-11; Heb. 12:23). It is the spiritual people who have been made members of the universial family of God. The church in this sense is the body of Christ, and it does not consist of saved and unsaved. It is not a group of individuals associated together for social and benevolent purposes, as seems to be on every hand in most worldly church gatherings. It is the body of people indwelt by God through the Holy Spirit and through whom God works in the world.

The church is a supernatural body of believers filled with the presence and power of God as individuals conform to the gospel of Christ. The church is like a family in its social life, yet is unlike a family in its formation. Each local church is a part of the universal church in the broad sense.  However there are many in local churches that do not belong to the body of Christ, and therefore they are not a true part of the universal church of the New Testament.

Just remembered, I was invited to attend a particular church by the pastor of that church. I was keen to attend, and so, on the day I arrived, even though I was clean and neatly casually dressed, plain shirt, grey trousers, leather shoes, and a jacket, I was taken aside and advised that in future, I must wear a white shirt, a suit and tie. I wonder where that is written in the Scriptures? :laugh: