JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Many things daily remind me I am no spring chicken. But ever so often I stroll down memory lane or I do a Google Maps of an old mining town where my grandparents raised their kids (both generations long gone). So many people... loved ones, friends, relatives, acquaintances all gone or old like me. 

It just gives a fella pause to realize all at once just how far he's come in the march of time and history.

To the young I say enjoy it and make it count. Soon... all too soon you will be in my shoes looking back at a world and times that no longer exist.

• Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

That used to be my grand parents house... when the mines closed they bought one of the mine bosses' house. There were four next to the company store by the railroad tracks... 

That was the house my uncle raised his family in that grandpa sold to him as it was where he and grandma raised them and my pop... who was born in the house two blocks behind that one in 1932... 

A school (that was closed and boarded up when I was a kid) has since been demolished and a Post Office is now there.

A rickety long carport behind the mine bosses houses is long gone but the RR coal bin still stands. An abandoned concrete structure by the rr track where we used to sneak into to smoke as kids. The creeks used to run orange with pollution from the mines. Now clear. Coal dust was in the air... rough on the lungs!

In Florida where I grew up I can't recognize the place. All the cities that were miles and miles apart have all grown together. Tampa Bay Area. Open land have entire cities in them now. 

Strange feeling. Like I'm a legal alien.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/20/1990

To look back at the journey you have walked relishing in those memories even the bad ones seeing what you went through what yiu overcome what you had to do in order to keep moving forward in life this is something that I think all of us should do every now and then. It's normally the aged ones who do this but I actually even though I am still young do this often.

there is wisdom in gleaning from looking back at your life but say it's a world and a time that no longer exists isn't true because our hearts remember it and so it's existence is proven, I am actually looking forward to becoming old although I do know that becoming old causes a whole of complications and as I have many medical issues I am sure when I am old they will have become much worse and I will gain other problems as well but I still look forward to it because I want to look back at the very long path I walked not just in life but as a believer.

The only thing I want to know in my heart of hearts when this time comes is that I gave it my all that God and I went all the way that we were reckless and abandon and that we never gave up even in the harshest of storms. Many people my age look down on the elderly being young we have that fire but we also lack many of the gifts the elderly have experience wisdom patience but also at the same time I think the fire we youngsters have is also something that the elderly could use too.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Being 'old' is a state of mind, John.  And getting older is definitely better than the alternative.  Why are you feeling this way?  Your posts don't come over as old to me.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

Being 'old' is a state of mind, John.  And getting older is definitely better than the alternative. 

hummmm.....   last time I used that phrase around my wife, she simply asked me if I was really sure about that...  Something to really think about...

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,939
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I may have to get older but I refuse to grow up :P

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

Lol:

2 hours ago, other one said:

hummmm.....   last time I used that phrase around my wife, she simply asked me if I was really sure about that...  Something to really think about...

Well what did you answer, OO?  I'd rather have as much time as possible to 'get myself right' than be thrown at His feet before I'm presentable.  :unsure:

2 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

I may have to get older but I refuse to grow up :P

:D

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I kind of envy you brother. Such a blessing to see an older saint still going strong and serving the Lord.

Man I'm ready to go home right now but I know the Lord is being patient. I'm 45 right now and that time went by in the blink of an eye. Soon we'll all be home.