My Mother In Law Can Be Diffacult

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

Okay so I got my daughter's school pictures back. I like the whole packet that they came in and there was some neat photo pages that came with the packet. Like thank you notes with my daughter's photo and little pictures to put on your key rings. So I bought the whole packet. So anyway I thought it would be nice of me to take the packet over to my mother in law's house and let her pick out whatever photos she wanted. And so I did. After she looked at the photo and pick out which one she wanted she ask me how much I paid for the packet. I told her $50.00. She then proceeded to criticize me for buying the whole packet telling me that I should have just bought one photo and made copies of it and what a wast of money it was to buy the whole packet. I gently tried to explain why I wanted to buy the whole packet. But all she would do is run down and criticize me for doing so.  It makes me wonder if I should even bother giving her anymore school photos if all I am going to get is criticism for buying them.  I'm just trying to be nice here but she be just difficult.  Well thanks for listing.

• Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Content Per Day:  1.63
  • Days Won:  2

Well, the way I see it, it's your money so it's your business.  I think you were being very nice by letting her choose which picture she wanted.  

Some people are just very opinionated by nature.  I wouldn't take it to heart.  You did what you felt was the right thing to do, her reaction is on her.  

Blessings to you.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

Okay so I got my daughter's school pictures back. I like the whole packet that they came in and there was some neat photo pages that came with the packet. Like thank you notes with my daughter's photo and little pictures to put on your key rings. So I bought the whole packet. So anyway I thought it would be nice of me to take the packet over to my mother in law's house and let her pick out whatever photos she wanted. And so I did. After she looked at the photo and pick out which one she wanted she ask me how much I paid for the packet. I told her $50.00. She then proceeded to criticize me for buying the whole packet telling me that I should have just bought one photo and made copies of it and what a wast of money it was to buy the whole packet. I gently tried to explain why I wanted to buy the whole packet. But all she would do is run down and criticize me for doing so.  It makes me wonder if I should even bother giving her anymore school photos if all I am going to get is criticism for buying them.  I'm just trying to be nice here but she be just difficult.  Well thanks for listing.

I always enjoyed receiving my kids school pictures and of course they were always very proud of them. I bought them.

It was a thoughtful gesture for you to allow your MIL to choose the pictures that she wanted. It is none of her business how much you paid for those photos. Toxic people. The world is full of them. She is controlling and a bully. I would not have let her manipulate me and I would then have asked her if she wanted any of the pictures or not. You did not owe her an explanation. In the future I would call her and ask her if she wants any of the pictures. Yes or no. No verbal abuse.

I would also have a discussion with my husband about his mothers behavior. Perhaps he could have a talk with her. Your husband should not allow any disrespect or verbal abuse from his mother displayed to his wife. If he allows that there is a red flag going up in the marriage. I have had a toxic MIL been there done that.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

It makes me wonder if I should even bother giving her anymore school photos if all I am going to get is criticism for buying them. 

Had you simply selected one picture and handed it over to her, you could have avoided this hassle.  She did not need to know anything more, and what you paid was none of her business.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Most school pictures have the name of the photographer on them somewhere and if that is the case with these school pictures, it is illegal to make copies of them.  It's also highly unethical.   I agree with Ezra, next time just give her a picture and be done with it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Oh, L.K., you have to understand that some MILs can NEVER approve of anything their inlaw children do.  Actually, you got a good deal; that package would be $100 here in Houston.  Remember, it's your money, your daughter and just let what she says slide.  You can feel good about the way you went about this; can she? Lay it at the feet of the Lord and walk away, LK. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

I agree, you do not have to justify to her on how you want to spend your money. Some folks are not happy with any choices another person makes. Doesn't matter if its an in-law or a relative. It wasn't them making the decision so they aren't happy. As C_Beth said, her reaction is on her. Just let the negative criticism go in one ear and out the other and go about your business because if you let it get to you, it will.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,061
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  238
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

lol I warned all my prospective son in laws that I reserved the right to be the mother in law from H.E double toothpicks ... I am sure she just thought she could have saved you some money but it is illegal  so just point out ( politely ) that you wouldnt want to break the copyrighting laws nor to teach your child yo do something illegal  and smile cos you have not got me as a mum in law xxxxx:D

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

Well it makes me not want to give her anymore photos. If all I am going to get is criticized. But I don't want to be that way but I have grown tired of the criticism. I stop email her photos of my daughter when she was a toddler because all she did was complain about they way my daughter's hair looked, or what she was wearing. So I just stop emailing her photos cause all it was doing was making me mad. And I don't need that.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

13 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

lol I warned all my prospective son in laws that I reserved the right to be the mother in law from H.E double toothpicks ... I am sure she just thought she could have saved you some money but it is illegal  so just point out ( politely ) that you wouldnt want to break the copyrighting laws nor to teach your child yo do something illegal  and smile cos you have not got me as a mum in law xxxxx:D

At least you're honest, LPT!  :D