• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  14.29
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew Henry's Commentary on Ephesians 2:1-10

Ephesians 2:1-10 Sin is the death of the soul. A man dead in trespasses and sins has no desire for spiritual pleasures. When we look upon a corpse, it gives an awful feeling. A never-dying spirit is now fled, and has left nothing but the ruins of a man. But if we viewed things aright, we should be far more affected by the thought of a dead soul, a lost, fallen spirit. A state of sin is a state of conformity to this world. Wicked men are slaves to Satan. Satan is the author of that proud, carnal disposition which there is in ungodly men; he rules in the hearts of men. From Scripture it is clear, that whether men have been most prone to sensual or to spiritual wickedness, all men, being naturally children of disobedience, are also by nature children of wrath. What reason have sinners, then, to seek earnestly for that grace which will make them, of children of wrath, children of God and heirs of glory! God's eternal love or good-will toward his creatures, is the fountain whence all his mercies flow to us; and that love of God is great love, and that mercy is rich mercy. And every converted sinner is a saved sinner; delivered from sin and wrath. The grace that saves is the free, undeserved goodness and favour of God; and he saves, not by the works of the law, but through faith in Christ Jesus. Grace in the soul is a new life in the soul. A regenerated sinner becomes a living soul; he lives a life of holiness, being born of God: he lives, being delivered from the guilt of sin, by pardoning and justifying grace. Sinners roll themselves in the dust; sanctified souls sit in heavenly places, are raised above this world, by Christ's grace. The goodness of God in converting and saving sinners heretofore, encourages others in after-time, to hope in his grace and mercy. Our faith, our conversion, and our eternal salvation, are not of works, lest any man should boast. These things are not brought to pass by any thing done by us, therefore all boasting is shut out. All is the free gift of God, and the effect of being quickened by his power. It was his purpose, to which he prepared us, by blessing us with the knowledge of his will, and his Holy Spirit producing such a change in us, that we should glorify God by our good conversation, and perseverance in holiness. None can from Scripture abuse this doctrine, or accuse it of any tendency to evil. All who do so, are without excuse.

Matthew Henry's Commentary on Ephesians 2:1-10 seems to be at odds with the Koran which preaches a different "gospel".  My understanding of the Koran is that they do not recognize that Jesus is God as the Christian Gospels tell us.  That we are saved by His grace alone, by His mercy alone, and not by the works of man.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  14.29

9 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Jesus have given us the Holy Spirit, but that does not mean that they are not other spirits who want to guide us.

What's your Biblical basis for making this claim?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,871
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

To know the True Holy Word of God and to have excellent discernment is always important. To sift all the false doctrine out here and know what is really the truth. That is what we need to hold onto.

This is recommended, with strong emphasis to believers in Jesus Christ, who have this knowledge, but it is a journey and it does not happen over night .

In the mean time Jesus accepts our faith, and while he rejects our confussion, he does not rejects the confused who have simple faith in him.

He died for the confused too, who believe in him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,234
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

18 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Hello missmuffet, any one who believed Jesus is the Savior is Saved from Hell, they are redeemed, they the Children of the Savior, and he is their Lord, whether they understand this or not.

I think these people believe...

Matt 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'
NASB

I would just say that I don't see how we can say that these people didn't believe.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

On 7/9/2016 at 7:10 PM, missmuffet said:

I understand your concern and I do have some issues with why they believe as they do but I do think that they worship the same God and Jesus Christ as we do. They are not like the Muslims or JW's or Mormons.

Hello missmuffet, any one who believed Jesus is the Savior is Saved from Hell, they are redeemed, they the Children of the Savior, and he is their Lord, whether they understand this or not.                                               posted by your closest friendnt

King James Bible
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.                      James 2:19

This is not the sane "believing" as this.............

King James Bible
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, kwikphilly said:

Hello missmuffet, any one who believed Jesus is the Savior is Saved from Hell, they are redeemed, they the Children of the Savior, and he is their Lord, whether they understand this or not.                                               posted by your closest friendnt

This is not the sane "believing" as this.............

Yes all those who are born again Christians and believe Jesus is their Savior will go to heaven. There are many who are a Christian in name only.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

That's right Peeps............I'm not sure everyone understands the difference is BELIEVING that Jesus is our Personal Lord & Savior,that one MUST have an earnest,repentant heart     

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

What's your Biblical basis for making this claim?

There is only one good Spirit and that is the Holy Spirit.  No such as "spirits" that want to guide is.  All other spirits are from the enemy.  They can appear is any form they want but are not from God.  We are to listen to only one Spirit and that is the Holy Spirit from God.  Understand, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  7,871
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, other one said:

I think these people believe...

Matt 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'
NASB

I would just say that I don't see how we can say that these people didn't believe.

I don't see how it could be possible that Jesus is addressing any other group but only his own believers. 

Let's start with that.

Jesus is not questioning their faith, and they must be strong in their faith, and even have gifts from the Holy Spirit, and are active in the ministry.

They are born from above, born from the Spirit, been baptize from the Holy Spirit, workers of the gifts of the Holy Spirit

Then what is it that they are doing or are polutted with, that the Lord does not want to be close to them, or have fellowship with them.

That is not preventing them from claiming that they have a close relationship with him, and boast that they are loved by him.

Note that Jesus is not talking about Heaven or Hell. Or that  he sents them to Hell, even thought they believe in him, and they must. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

7 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Then why do you question the Salvation of anyone who believes in JESUS CHRIST , by any other measure. Or by some inccorect practice and or understanding. 

Paul never said to the sircumsition group of those believers in Jesus Christ in Galatia that they are going to Hell.

To be a Catholic you have to believe in the authority of the pope, in the rosery and prayer to countless saint's. In the veneration of Mary and saints. In confession. In the last rites. In the power of a priest to forgive sin and not in scripture as being the sole authority of the Church. All these things are man made commandments and Jesus said...

Matthew  15:9  But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark  7:7  Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.