LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

There is this guy at my church who interrupts the pastor's sermon. Not in a bad way. I mean he isn't disagreeing with the pastor. He just adds to what the pastor is saying. For example the pastor was being very serious as he was preaching a very serious sermon. The pastor was telling us that we should be praying for our town. That our town was in need of prayer. Just then this guy yells out  saying "If you don't think this town needs prayer just look at the drug problem that we have!"  It's like that. Like he is adding his own words to the pastor's sermon. It is a bit distracting and I just don't think he should be interrupting the pastor's sermon. There is a time when it is acceptable to speak up and to share your thoughts about things. Like in testimonies or prayer request. But when I am at church I want to hear what the pastor has to say, not what this guy has to say. Well anyway for the most part I haven't thought too much about it when it happens. But today it kind of bugged me when it happen as I was really trying to pay attention to what the pastor was saying when this guy yelled out adding his own thoughts to the pastor's sermon. As if he was trying to explain what the pastor was saying to the rest of us.  I thought that he really shouldn't be interrupting the pastor. But then I can be a bit critical at times so perhaps that is what I am being. Critical. But what do you all think of this? Would you be a bit annoyed by it?  Or am I just being critical?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

All things should be done decently and in order.  So he should be quietly cautioned by an elder or even an usher.  

However, we used to have a young woman in our church who used to do things like this.  She had serious brain injury from a car accident.  it left her without the ability to control her arms or to walk easily.  She was going through a hard time because her husband was unfaithful and no longer caring for her.  Sometimes we have to consider the person's mental capacity, and especially their emotional stability at the time.  A person going through such grief may take correction as rejection at a time when they need a lot of support.   Your pastor may know the person much better and have great wisdom in how and when something should be said.  It should be left in their hands.  But as you see a problem, do pray for wisdom for them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

3 hours ago, LadyKay said:

There is this guy at my church who interrupts the pastor's sermon. Not in a bad way. I mean he isn't disagreeing with the pastor. He just adds to what the pastor is saying. For example the pastor was being very serious as he was preaching a very serious sermon. The pastor was telling us that we should be praying for our town. That our town was in need of prayer. Just then this guy yells out  saying "If you don't think this town needs prayer just look at the drug problem that we have!"  It's like that. Like he is adding his own words to the pastor's sermon. It is a bit distracting and I just don't think he should be interrupting the pastor's sermon. There is a time when it is acceptable to speak up and to share your thoughts about things. Like in testimonies or prayer request. But when I am at church I want to hear what the pastor has to say, not what this guy has to say. Well anyway for the most part I haven't thought too much about it when it happens. But today it kind of bugged me when it happen as I was really trying to pay attention to what the pastor was saying when this guy yelled out adding his own thoughts to the pastor's sermon. As if he was trying to explain what the pastor was saying to the rest of us.  I thought that he really shouldn't be interrupting the pastor. But then I can be a bit critical at times so perhaps that is what I am being. Critical. But what do you all think of this? Would you be a bit annoyed by it?  Or am I just being critical?

No Lady it's not you.  To interrupt during the sermon is just plain out of line.  He needs to be taken aside by one of the men in the church plus the pastor and set straight.  If  he continues to do this I think he should be asked to leave.  This sounds like a pattern with him.  I don't know how big your church is but if there is someone there who is not saved it could hinder them from coming to the Lord.  No this is just ten miles out of line. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

He should not. He should be told in a right manner cause he may not know what he is doing is wrong. He might think he is helping. It's hard cause you don't want to embarrass him and make him not come back. So it should be gentle. Maybe start by saying we appreciate your help but, and maybe find other ways for him to help with church. You know like I'm sure after church service someone is always going around the pews and making things nice and neat again. Maybe something like that.

Thank you all for your input on this matter. After some thought I really feel that it is not my place to tell this guy to stop interrupting. I feel it is the pastor's place. After all it is the pastor that is being interrupted. I would also like to say that I do not think this guy has any bad intent. I don't think he realizes that what he is doing is being rude. I think he thinks that he is helping the pastor out by add his own thoughts to what the pastor is saying. I posted this because I thought that maybe the problem was with me. That I was being overly critical of this person. But I see now that from what you all say, my feelings about this are right. He really shouldn't be speaking out like that. But I don't feel it is my place to tell him this. Nor do I have the authority to do so. It needs to be the pastor.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

13 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I thought that he really shouldn't be interrupting the pastor.

There's nothing to stop you from going up to this person and letting him know that what he is doing is unacceptable. He needs to hear from someone about this.

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

After some thought I really feel that it is not my place to tell this guy to stop interrupting.

Why not?  If you are in this congregation, it is your place to speak up.  If more people would speak up when things are not acceptable, it would make a difference.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Lady Kay,

I agree that this guy shouldn't be doing this. But I also think the person who said he may have a brain injury has a point. If I were you I'd tell the pastor, an elder etc. Hopefully they will know if the man has a health issue. They may not tell you about it but at least they will be made aware that his outbursts are disturbing to others. If you say something to the man and he does have a health issue it could put you in an embarrassing situation. So that's what I'd do.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,141
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Nothing in the NT provides for a single pastor to preach a long sermon to the assembly every week, while everyone sits silent. On the contrary, Paul describes the preferred order of the assembly here:

1 Cor. 14:26 Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. ...29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

Church fellowship is supposed to be participatory. But early on, it began to shift to hierarchical, where few people were allowed to speak, and everyone else was supposed to shut up and listen. The person you say is out of line is actually acting like a 1st century church-goer.

3 hours ago, Ezra said:

There's nothing to stop you from going up to this person and letting him know that what he is doing is unacceptable. He needs to hear from someone about this.

Why not?  If you are in this congregation, it is your place to speak up.  If more people would speak up when things are not acceptable, it would make a difference.

I do not disagree with you. But I don't think I am at the point yet where I can walk up to him and say hey stop that.  Actually it has been going on for sometime now every so often but this is the first time it has ever actually bugged me. I think it was because what was being said in the sermon was something I really needed to hear. And I had my own thoughts going threw my head and then he spoke up and threw off my thinking. I think for now I am going to consider things and think about what to say, how to say it, and  if anyone else there feels as I do.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

On 7/11/2016 at 0:27 PM, WilliamL said:

Nothing in the NT provides for a single pastor to preach a long sermon to the assembly every week, while everyone sits silent. On the contrary, Paul describes the preferred order of the assembly here:

1 Cor. 14:26 Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. ...29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

Church fellowship is supposed to be participatory. But early on, it began to shift to hierarchical, where few people were allowed to speak, and everyone else was supposed to shut up and listen. The person you say is out of line is actually acting like a 1st century church-goer.

this was my thought too, but also that all things should be done orderly. 

the model we see in scripture is actually fairly far removed from sitting in a pew silently listening to the same person give a soliloquy every week, as though the body only has one member and the Spirit doesn't give anything to anyone else. it's actually much more like the 'small group' or 'home group' setting, where everyone who has input or questions, is involved, or at least has every opportunity to be, both participating in 'teaching' by sharing what wisdom and insight is revealed to them, and also judging what is said, and interpreting, and giving glory to God.

logistically this is better achieved in smaller groups -- and it is both a real shame that so few church-goers participate in such a way with the body, and also probably telling of just how many people are simply 'church-goers' coming, as it were, to 'be served' each week instead of 'to serve' -- as though it's just entertainment, to be 'left to the professionals' 

my first thought is certainly not "how rude" or "this fellow must be brain damaged" 
aren't we all taking part on a discussion board right now? 
or should only a select handful of "elite" people here be allowed to post? ((o wait, LOL, there is actually a bit of that here . . ))