creativemechanic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

This is not really on topic. But for me. I would like a Sunday were all we do is sing. It would not matter to me what we sing. Be it hymns or choruses. But I have found that the greatest joy I feel in church is when we sing. I feel I get much more out of the music then I do a sermon.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

This is not really on topic. But for me. I would like a Sunday were all we do is sing. It would not matter to me what we sing. Be it hymns or choruses. But I have found that the greatest joy I feel in church is when we sing. I feel I get much more out of the music then I do a sermon.

It is funny how different people are. I would far prefer a Sunday of straight bible teaching. I don't dislike p & w but it isn't my favorite part of church. A friend told me it isn't called "let's please Dave" it's called praise and worship lol it isn't for me it's for Him.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

But u do rwalise that traditional Was Once contemporary at some point, and rhat Tjr It Was opposed by people who didnt Want it then

Except rock 'n roll was not present. And there is no evidence that there was opposition to what are presently traditional hymns and songs of praise.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Youd be surprised, what was said abt stuff we see no problems with now. I find that the older people tend to get, the less acceptable they are to change and begin to think that God hates what they hate as opposed to opposite as what it should be.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 8/11/2016 at 3:57 PM, Butero said:

I am not sure what my favorite hymn would be.  I love "Peace In The Valley," but in church, there is none I liked better than "Nothing But The Blood."  I think churches that abandon hymns do everyone a disservice. 

I believe if the music is done in honor of God, and it is in worship of Him it's fine.  I love the spirit of praise and worship can be beautiful.  I love praise and worship music, love raising my hands and just basking in that Presence of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings, RustyAngeL

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

13 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Me too Lady, how I would love to just spend an entire Sunday just singing and worshiping.  I love to sing and giving praise to God is just so awesome to me.  

Blessings, RustyAngeL

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I'll have a go on this one, but a couple of things first.

I don't really mind the so-called "modern" Christian music in a service - what I do mind is when folks decide to turn the sound system up to the moon. Personally speaking: God is not deaf, and I lost enough of my hearing to 15 years of USAF jet engines, thank you - and that's why I'm wearing ear plugs. At some level the high volume just turns worship to noise. My only real issue with some songs on the Christian radio stations is they seem to take one sentence and repeat it endlessly . . . that seems a little too much like vain repetition to me, but that's just me.

I like many of the old hymns because the words are great in many of them. The music some are set to though . . . can make them sound like you're at a funeral. I've always hated that.

Something I found when the Lord brought me to my current church: Singing the Psalms a capella. No instruments, no sound system, just the congregation's voices singing to the Lord. I'd never seen that before, but its a rather nice change for someone who was rather burned out on all the so-called "modern" stuff at the time. I always wondered why no one set the Psalms to music before . . . turns out psalm singing was around for much of early church history. Never knew that.

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Youd be surprised, what was said abt stuff we see no problems with now. I find that the older people tend to get, the less acceptable they are to change and begin to think that God hates what they hate as opposed to opposite as what it should be.

Well, it is important to understand the reason behind the opposition to change.   Not all change is good.   Right now, praise music is based more emotion and not on Scripture, like it used to be.   That's a real problem.

Sometimes the opposition to change has valid reasons.  It's not the case that older people are just stuck in the mud and reject change for no good reason.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Right now, praise music is based more emotion and not on Scripture, like it used to be.   That's a real problem.

I don't really agree. I think there  is a lot of very good, modern Christian music that uses scripture in their songs.  Check out the group"For King And County"

Edited by LadyKay

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, LadyKay said:

I don't really agree. I think there  is a lot of very good, modern Christian music that uses scripture in their songs.  Check out the group"For King And County"

I don't think every song is not using Scripture, but many of them don't.  It is more of an appeal to emotions.    In fact, there are a number of them that don't even use the Name, "Jesus."    It's all a product of Christians songs being owned by secular labels who will tweak the songs into romantic love songs in the secular market if they don't make any money with those songs in the Christian market.