IGNORED

How do you pray? What does prayer mean to you? How has it changed over the years as you mature

markdohle

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

I am finding apart from the divide between Catholic's and non-Catholic, or least for some of them, there is also a language barrier.  Below is something I wrote on prayer and I would like to see how others view prayer in their lives.  I do believe that we all belong to the Priesthood of the faithful and when we pray we stand for all seeking the Lord's blessing on all, as well that all may come to know Christ and his love.....for God wills (desires) the salvation of all.  1 Timothy 2:3-4.  This is not a teaching but a sharing.  If I am breaking any rules, moderator please delete immateriality.  How do you pray?  What does prayer mean to you?  How has it changed over the years as you mature

+++++++++++++++

Breathe in; breathe out
(the practice of prayer)

When I ask this “what do we pray for”, many do not understand what I am getting at.  I guess we can start with the question what is prayer?  The simplest answer is that it is “raising our heart and mind to God”.  But that answer can lead to another question…..what does that mean for me in my everyday life?  Prayer, if pursued and the impulses of grace are followed, which is in fact an invitation from the Holy Spirit, can slowly grow over the years to become a deeply ingrained habit.  Prayer becomes a form of breathing for the soul.  The Holy Spirit breathes in us, and we breathe out prayer. 

To stop and pray, to be open to the Holy Spirit opens us up to the healing and mercy of “the fire of God’s love’, which is stronger than death.  So as the life of prayer deepens we can often find ourselves in a dry desert with only faith and prayer as our guides.  Or we find that we discover depths within our souls that block us from living fully in the joy and love of God.  Prayer gives us the humility to grow in the knowledge of God’s grace and our total dependence on his mercy and love. 

So we can find ourselves on stormy seas, without the false luxury of blaming others, or of seeking ways to self medicate that only complicate the matter and pile on more problems.  Prayer frees us from being a victim as well as drowning in anger or self pity.  The more we understand ourselves, the more we understand the struggle of others and find our hearts becoming the Heart of Christ Jesus.  Prayer and our openness to God’s grace makes us aware that Paul’s statement that “It is not I but Christ who lives in me”, is not some abstract statement, or theological principle, but an actual living reality. 

Fear, bitterness, anger and cynicism are ways that we protect ourselves from the on- slot of life. Sin is the shield that we use to keep life out, which leads to only more suffering and a deepening of our wounds.  It is only by letting go of fear that we can understand the healing balm of God’s love.  As John says in his 1st Epistle, “Love cast out fear”. 

The death to self that Jesus calls us to is a letting go of self concern to the exclusion of others.  As well as freeing others from manipulation and being made into mere object so that we can feel secure and in control….illusions both of them.  Yet when we discover the love of God, its depth and what Christ Jesus went through to save us, we come to the understanding that we are truly embraced in the ever lasting arms of Christ Jesus’ love. 

We can forget how short our lives are and that we are pilgrims.  One good thing about aging is that illusion of “I have plenty of time” is taken away.  If someone lives to be 120 years of age, on their death bed, it will seem like a passing dream…..our time is short here.  Being 68 (or will be in December) has freed me totally from that illusion.  Life is more precious to me as I age, yet I know that ‘soon’ I will move on.  What is life for?  We need to ask ourselves that question and live from what we discover. 

Breathe in, breathe out, allow the Holy Spirit to pray in you, through you and let yourselves be used so that our arms, become the Arms-of-Christ, our hearts, become The-Heart-of-Christ and our minds, to become, The-Mind-of-Christ.  For in our bodies we make up for what is lacking in the body of Christ.  We have a great calling; we are all members of Christ Jesus and belong to the priesthood of the faithful.  The more conscious we are of that the more we can allow the Holy Spirit to use us.

Edited by markdohle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

How has prayer changed as I have grown old?  I realize the urgency to witness and pray for people who don't walk with God.  I may not have much time left to pray for them, and they may not have much time left to commit their lives to Christ.  So I spend more time in intercession and make more use of opportunities to witness and share God's love with them.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,246
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If my prayers were out loud you would think I'm a little nuts for I speak to him all day long either mentally or lots of time out loud as though I am speaking to someone....  I pray about things all day long.  Some important and much most would consider trivial.  I also pay attention to things and thoughts and on special occasions his voice to guide me along the way.  There is nothing too trivial to not discuss with the Lord.

1 hour ago, Willa said:

How has prayer changed as I have grown old?  I realize the urgency to witness and pray for people who don't walk with God.  I may not have much time left to pray for them, and they may not have much time left to commit their lives to Christ.  So I spend more time in intercession and make more use of opportunities to witness and share God's love with them.  

I agree Willa, I do the same thing.  I find it odd that people do not think about the shortness of live more often and more deeply.  I love what you said.

Peace
Mark

48 minutes ago, other one said:

If my prayers were out loud you would think I'm a little nuts for I speak to him all day long either mentally or lots of time out loud as though I am speaking to someone....  I pray about things all day long.  Some important and much most would consider trivial.  I also pay attention to things and thoughts and on special occasions his voice to guide me along the way.  There is nothing too trivial to not discuss with the Lord.

I pray that way much of the day as well.  I agree nothing is to trivial to talk to the Lord about.  I believe that is what being childlike is about before the Lord.

Peace
Mark

30 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Mark, now you are spreading New Age contemplative prayer techniques. 

When does this stop? 

http://bereanresearch.org/rick-warren-gets-bolder-promoting-breath-prayer/

links to..

http://bereanresearch.org/contemplative-prayer/

Not so my friend.  My prayer is centered on Christ Jesus.  You can think want, we are all free to do that.

Breathe in....Peace
Breathe out....Mark

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

I speak to God nearly all day long every day, as a man speaks to his best friend, praising Him, thanking Him, and all personal things.

KJV,

Exodus 33:11, And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Matthew 6:7, But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

One example for babes in Christ;

Luke 11:1-4, And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

V. 2, And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

V. 3, Give us day by day our daily bread.

V.  4, And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

7 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

I speak to God nearly all day long every day, as a man speaks to his best friend, praising Him, thanking Him, and all personal things.

KJV,

Exodus 33:11, And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Matthew 6:7, But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

One example for babes in Christ;

Luke 11:1-4, And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

V. 2, And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

V. 3, Give us day by day our daily bread.

V.  4, And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Beautiful testimony, thank you..

Peace
Mark

Guest bonnieschamberger

I remember when I first asked Jesus into my heart my prayers being very uniform because I was taught that way..not much heart looking back now...but now this is how it feels after many painful things happened in my life..I feel like Im in a marriage and Im on a long roadtrip with God ..there is never a time were not together ...sometimes I talk to Him and sometimes He talks to me..sometimes theres long comfortable silences because we are having dinner and catching a movie together lol.Its alot more intimate and natural now.Im very thankful for all the things that brought me here good and bad.

Edited by bonnieschamberger

10 hours ago, bonnieschamberger said:

I remember when I first asked Jesus into my heart my prayers being very uniform because I was taught that way..not much heart looking back now...but now this is how it feels after many painful things happened in my life..I feel like Im in a marriage and Im on a long roadtrip with God ..there is never a time were not together ...sometimes I talk to Him and sometimes He talks to me..sometimes theres long comfortable silences because we are having dinner and catching a movie together lol.Its alot more intimate and natural now.Im very thankful for all the things that brought me here good and bad.

This is a WOW statement testimony on prayer, thank you soooo much.

peace
mark