Biblem

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Who is the Holy Spirit? What does He do? How can we connect with Him? Who can connect with him? In this article, we’ll explore the biblical answers to these questions. We’ll start by looking at the history of the Holy Spirit and then move on to discuss His character and His role in our lives. If you’re curious about who the Holy Spirit is, this article is for you.

Who Is the Holy Spirit?

When it comes to who the Holy Spirit is, the Bible doesn’t give us a lot of specifics. We know that He is a part of the Trinity, along with God the Father and Jesus Christ. But beyond that......read more

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, Biblem said:

We know that He is a part of the Trinity, along with God the Father and Jesus Christ. But beyond that

That is a very Roman Catholic/ Eastern Orthodox theology.

The Holy Spirit is described as the Spirit of God, the Spirit of the Father, and also as the Spirit of Jesus.

Romans 8:9  You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 
10  But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 
11  If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you. 

2Cor 3:16  But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. 
17  Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 

Edited by Waggles

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

On 4/22/2023 at 3:09 AM, Biblem said:

Who is the Holy Spirit? What does He do? How can we connect with Him? Who can connect with him? In this article, we’ll explore the biblical answers to these questions. We’ll start by looking at the history of the Holy Spirit and then move on to discuss His character and His role in our lives. If you’re curious about who the Holy Spirit is, this article is for you.

Who Is the Holy Spirit?

When it comes to who the Holy Spirit is, the Bible doesn’t give us a lot of specifics. We know that He is a part of the Trinity, along with God the Father and Jesus Christ. But beyond that......read more

God the Father is a battery, Jesus is a phone, and the Holy Spirit is the signal. The gifts of the Holy Spirit like healing and prophecy can be found in First Corinthians chapter twelve of the New Testament. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.45

Who Is the Holy Spirit?

Some clarity is needed from that article at your link.  The Person Of The Holy Spirit

"What does this mean for you? If you’re seeking guidance in your life, be sure to pray and ask for the help of the Holy Spirit. He’ll never let you down."

Are you asking Jesus for the help of the Holy Spirit or are you asking the Holy Spirit directly to help you?  If the latter, then you should know that the Holy Spirit does not answer prayers, Jesus does, being the only Mediatoir between God and men.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.... 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.... 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

So whatever the Holy Spirit does by speaking or in ministering, the Holy Spirit gives that credit & glory to Jesus Christ.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

There is a clear point of contention to address about receiving the Holy Spirit by water baptism but that is for another post.

Can you clarify the author's meaning on Who to ask for this help from the Holy Spirit Whom technically would give the credit of that help as coming from Jesus Christ?

Who Is the Holy Spirit?

From the link  The Person Of The Holy Spirit

"How to Receive the Holy Spirit

So how can you receive the Holy Spirit? Well, the Bible is clear on this point. In Acts 2:38, Peter said, ” Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

In other words, to receive the Holy Spirit, you need to repent of your sins and be baptized. This is something that’s still important today. If you want to receive the Holy Spirit, then you need to be baptized in water."  ~~ End of quote

There is only one gospel and so it is understandable how this reference has been misapplied a lot to thinking the Holy Spirit will come by water baptism.

This same Peter preached the same gospel clearer to the Gentiles but they received the Holy Spirit before water baptism.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

So how did the Jews get the promise of the Holy Spirit if not by water baptism?  The Gentiles got the promise by believing in Jesus Christ and at the same time the remission of sins.  Did Peter say that to the Jews?  Yes, he did, but differently as verses 36-37 is key.

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.  37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Peter just told those Jews that had crucified Jesus that God made Him Lord AND Christ and these Jews that had crucified Him in unbelief were pricked in their hearts for when they had asked Peter "what shall we do?"  Peter said "Repent".  Repent from what?  They had crucified Jesus in unbelief and so to repent from that is to what?  By believing in Him.  The same gospel to the Gentiles.

So it was by believing in Him is how any sinner receives the promise of the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ; not by water baptism.

Even Paul made the same point of that truth in this epistle that water baptism is not how or why God saves, but those who believe.

1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Anyway, I had thought I would clarify that passage you had referenced as it is often misunderstood and misapplied since there is only one gospel that both the Gentiles and the Jews were saved by and still are today by believing in Jesus Christ.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

No mention of water baptism here as part of the gospel we are to preach for how and why God saves those when they believe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.94

FWIW, and as an aside, it doesn't do any good to receive the Holy Spirit if you don't put it to use.

Holy Spirit isn't some sort of adornment, like a cross you wear on a chain around your neck, it is a real and dynamic power that allows you to do things that are seemingly impossible.  Power like that Jesus referenced when he said “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father."  (John 14:12)

When you receive the Holy Spirit put it to work in your life, it wasn't given without reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, FJK said:

FWIW, and as an aside, it doesn't do any good to receive the Holy Spirit if you don't put it to use.

Holy Spirit isn't some sort of adornment, like a cross you wear on a chain around your neck, it is a real and dynamic power that allows you to do things that are seemingly impossible.  Power like that Jesus referenced when he said “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father."  (John 14:12)

When you receive the Holy Spirit put it to work in your life, it wasn't given without reason.

In your first sentence & last sentence, did you meant Him rather than "it"?

I understand your point about Him not being an adornment but would that mean not to use Him for a show of vanity?

Where did you get that notion that "you" put Him to work when we are to be led by the Spirit and to walk in the Spirit? 

Are we not to follow Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd and Friend as He leads us through the Holy Spirit in us?

Is that not how we get to know Jesus Christ and the power of His resurrection when we rely on Him all the time for following Him?

3 minutes ago, ChristB4us said:

In your first sentence & last sentence, did you meant Him rather than "it"?

That's the way I usually find people considering him, the use of the word "the" in front of Holy Spirit would indicate it.  We don't talk about the Jesus but we do talk about the Holy Spirit.  I don't really see linguistic technicalities in English as relevant to it and I don't know Greek as it was used at the time as a basis to challenge it.

As far as putting him to work, my experience in life, in both the secular and the Christian, is that if you do nothing nothing happens. 

God doesn't turn you into a robot with baptism, he brings you the power to do great things in his name, but you are still the one that has to do them of your own will.

This is how I understand things and believe, maybe wrongly or maybe rightly, but it is what I have developed from living for a long time on both the dark path and then as a Christian.

1 hour ago, FJK said:

That's the way I usually find people considering him, the use of the word "the" in front of Holy Spirit would indicate it.  We don't talk about the Jesus but we do talk about the Holy Spirit.  I don't really see linguistic technicalities in English as relevant to it and I don't know Greek as it was used at the time as a basis to challenge it.

As far as putting him to work, my experience in life, in both the secular and the Christian, is that if you do nothing nothing happens. 

God doesn't turn you into a robot with baptism, he brings you the power to do great things in his name, but you are still the one that has to do them of your own will.

This is how I understand things and believe, maybe wrongly or maybe rightly, but it is what I have developed from living for a long time on both the dark path and then as a Christian.

But if I wanted to put Him to work by walking on water, that would not work.

If I wanted to go to hospitals and put Him to work in healing people, that would not work either.

These scripture reads to me that we do not have a choice in the matter in how Jesus Christ leads us through the Holy Spirit in us.

Acts 16:6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8 And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

Mayhap I am not understanding what you are meaning here, but when it comes to the ministry, it is not your decision or your choice to go there or here but His when you are yielding to follow Him as His disciple.  And more often than not, it is about how we live that reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ that is our reasonable service.

Romans 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Colossians 3:1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. 8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

How we live this reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ is our reasonable service as we do so by faith in Jesus Christ, looking to the author & finisher of our faith to help us lay aside every weight & sin daily ( Hebrews 12:1-2 ) in walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son ( 1 John 1:3-9 ).

So no saved believer has to worry about being a idle because they are not led into the ministry, but by following Him, they can be a witness to others while doing that reasonable service of trusting Him to help the to follow Him daily by walking in the light.

14 hours ago, ChristB4us said:

But if I wanted to put Him to work by walking on water, that would not work.

If I wanted to go to hospitals and put Him to work in healing people, that would not work either.

So is the fault in the Holy Spirit or in yourself?