• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

I have pondered this for many years and tried to come to a decision I could live with and last night I finally made my mind up-- I was listening to ETWN Catholic radio and apologist clearly said that with out the Sacrament of baptism a person can not go to heaven. That is contrary to Biblical doctrine--- I no longer believe that the Roman Catholic Church is a branch of Christianity- it is its own religion, not christian

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, woundeddog said:

I no longer believe that the Roman Catholic Church is a branch of Christianity- it is its own religion, not christian

Correct. The RCC should be classified with the cults, because it teaches Sacramentalism, along with Purgatory, Mariolatry, and many other non-biblical doctrines.  The Reformers uniformly labeled the Pope as the Antichrist (though we know that was not exactly the case). 

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Leerah said:

Hi Everyone

I understand the purpose of baptism. I haven't been baptized yet have so much passion for Christ.

What happens to unbaptized believers?

Its depends on why, many Pauline churches don't baptize. You can go in a dry sinner and come out a wet one. Being baptized identify a disciple with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. What if you don't participate in the Lords Supper, well it depends. In the Old Testament there was a Sabbath but when Jesus worked on the Sabbath his critics quickly faulted him. Jesus says the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath. Some Times We should think of these rites as gifts rather then obligations.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 9/29/2016 at 5:50 AM, Leerah said:

Hi Everyone

I understand the purpose of baptism. I haven't been baptized yet have so much passion for Christ.

Praise God's Son Jesus Christ

In Acts 10:44-45 and 11:14-18, Jewish believers in Jesus Christ were astonished at Jesus's revelation to them that the Gentiles are baptized with the Holy Ghost purely by the hearing of faith in the gospel of God's Son Jesus Christ without any need for a baptism with water.

If a believer in God's Son Jesus Christ today would like to be baptized with water, that is fine (1 Cor. 6:12).

But baptism with water today is wholly unnecessary (as revealed in Acts 10:44-45 and 11:14-18), and to teach that a baptism with water is something that a believer today in God's Son Jesus Christ "should" do is error (Acts 15:5, Phil. 3:3, Gal. 5:6, 6:15).

God's Son Jesus Christ said in Mark 16:15-16 to preach his gospel (not to also baptize with water) whereby those that hear and believe in him through his name shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Paul confirms Jesus's statement made in Mark 16:15 in 1 Cor. 1:17 ("baptize" in 1 Cor. 1:17 refers to baptism with water)…

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel (1 Cor. 1:17)

he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel (Mark 16:15)

The baptism referred to in Mark 16:16 is the baptism of the Holy Ghost by the hearing of faith in the gospel of God's Son Jesus Christ, not a baptism with water.

In like manner in Matt. 28:19, Jesus said to teach all nations (i.e. preach the gospel - Mark 16:15) whereby those who hear and believe "in the name of Jesus Christ" (Acts 2:38 - "the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" - Matt. 28:19) shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

"baptizing them in the name of [Jesus Christ]" in Matt. 28:19 is not referring to baptism with water, but rather to baptism with the Holy Ghost unto those that hear and believe (Gal. 3:2) in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 11:14-16).

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. (Gal. 3:26)

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe (Rom. 3:22)

Blessed be the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

While baptism does NOT get you into heaven, it DOES affect your spiritual life. As others have commented, it allows you to grow spiritually. Here is why:

1) When Jesus was ready to begin His ministry, He got baptized. John the Baptist rightly said that Jesus did not need to be baptized, but Jesus responded that it was necessary for obedience purposes. The result of that baptism was that the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus like a dove. Point is that Jesus got baptized to publicly declare that one phase of His life was finished and the next phase was beginning.

2) Baptism is simply a ceremony that publicly tells the world that we have chosen to believe in Jesus and that our old life is passed. It is an allegory where we put our old life to death; we are washed clean; and we are resurrected to a new life.

3) The public nature of baptism is important because it tells other believers that we are joining in their Christian life. By witnessing our baptism, they are now responsible for us.....for praying....for encouraging...for suffering with us when necessary. So while our faith is personal, our Christian walk through life was never intended to be alone. We gather strength from others who have publicly announced their faith through baptism. While it may seem a "religious" ceremony, I rejoice when others get baptized because it means my Christian family is growing.

To be honest, I really need all of you guys (and gals) who believe in Jesus. Your faith inspires me to grow in my faith. Your public testimony, inspires me to grow closer to Jesus. When I come to church, I am fed as much by other believers as I am by the preaching of the Word. I am glad that Jesus encouraged us to gather together because sometimes when I am troubled, I feel all alone. Being with other believers (who are suffering aloneness just like me), answers the need to be "with" someone of faith. It helps me receive the peace that Jesus wants me to have.

So to all of you believers out there, baptized or not, thank you.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

A thief next to Jesus on the cross, put his trust in the Lord  but didn't have a way to be baptized. Similarly, there are deathbed conversions. Of course, they go to heaven.

However, we have a God who likes to use poignant rituals--or actions that point to great spiritual truths. Passover is one example. Baptism is another--a beautiful way to commit ourselves to God, symbolizing our identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. If possible, we should honor God by complying.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Yeah as when you could die from a plane crash or a car crash and accept Christ in a split second. Knowing that you would not live the next minute. As really it is about believing Christ as Savior and Lord and the Messiah!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

9 minutes ago, Jean74 said:

Yeah as when you could die from a plane crash or a car crash and accept Christ in a split second. Knowing that you would not live the next minute. As really it is about believing Christ as Savior and Lord and the Messiah!

In cases like this, ad I am not saying this does not happen, I believe God will judge the heart of the person, not so much their words.  I often wondered if a person lived a life knowing Jesus is real and they needed salvation, but because I liked to sin so much, decided they would gamble and would wait until the very end, just before I died, to ask for forgiveness, if they would be accepted.  If they really believed in Jesus, would they of not accepted them before then?  I don't honestly know, as it was a question I asked myself, which is why I say I believe God will judge their heart.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

Obedience to the command of Christ is the reason; not for a blessing, not to earn salvation. It is a testimony of what Christ has done for you. A separation from the old life and a symbol of stepping into the new. Though I believe that through the ordinance, one can receive a blessing, it is not the reason to do it.

I am surprised how many people I have met have been taught that since baptism is not the cause of salvation, it is treated as optional. A sign of commitment in obedience to your Master is not a difficult thing.  I would have thought that a believer would be eager to do what Christ asked of them!

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On 9/29/2016 at 1:50 PM, Leerah said:

Hi Everyone

Baptism is not necessary for salvation, it is a part of what is known as sanctification, that is something which Christians ought to do after that they have been saved, but without which God still loves you and you are and can remain saved. The thief on the cross who repented, was told by Christ: "today you will be with me in paradise," so he was saved, upon the cross, without water baptism.