• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

53 minutes ago, RustyAngeL said:

I agree. What is the big deal about the pumpkins?  It's all in how you look at it. 

Yes, and the Christian boundaries that you approach it with. I would not let my kids carve a pumpkin as a witch or something evil.

This is cute :)

pumpkin-carving-07-sl.jpg

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, GoodFruit said:

I understand that Christ was not born in December, some estimates are more like September.  It wasn't okay for the RCC to change the pagan holiday of Saturnalia into Christmas ("Easter" may actually have more roots in the celebration of Passover than pagan gods).  So my answer to your question is two wrongs don't make a right.  Just because something wrong has been done in history, are you saying that it's okay to repeat that wrong with a different pagan holiday and that God isn't going to mind?  Are you seriously condoning the celebration of a man-made holiday and trying to inject CHRIST into it to fit your human reasoning and perspective and justify it as being okay with God?

Are you a Christian?  Seriously?   

GoodFruit has been removed from the thread for openly questioning another member's salvation.

God bless,

Steve

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

On 10/8/2016 at 9:44 PM, ayin jade said:

I thank it would have been far better if they had made pumpkin pies or pumpkin bread out of them and destroyed the shells. I think giving away that which could not be used in a pagan holiday would better suit the credibility of a Christian Church. The media can now, use this to browbeat those who speak out about paganism.

They could have taken theses pies to homeless shelters and half way house and used the time to talk to those who suffer there. They could have also taken them door to door and a community outreach that truly mattered.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

55 minutes ago, Churchmouse said:

I thank it would have been far better if they had made pumpkin pies or pumpkin bread out of them and destroyed the shells. I think giving away that which could not be used in a pagan holiday would better suit the credibility of a Christian Church. The media can now, use this to browbeat those who speak out about paganism.

They could have taken theses pies to homeless shelters and half way house and used the time to talk to those who suffer there. They could have also taken them door to door and a community outreach that truly mattered.

The pumpkins sold for carving (Howden pumpkins) are a cultivated variety that do not work so well for eating. You need to purchase a variety that is meant for eating, i.e. Sugar Pie, Kabocha, and Carnival. Others are described here.

4 minutes ago, nebula said:

The pumpkins sold for carving (Howden pumpkins) are a cultivated variety that do not work so well for eating. You need to purchase a variety that is meant for eating, i.e. Sugar Pie, Kabocha, and Carnival. Others are described here.

It says in the article that the Pumpkins were ordered. I take it that there was money exchanged somhow and if so, would it have been any different to have ordered sdible pumpkins instead of these carvable pumpkins? 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/15/1941

On 10/9/2016 at 0:23 AM, eileenhat said:

Can only tolerate uncut pumpkins now.

Won't give out candy either.

It goes (this need to honor family traditions based on cultural standards) gradually as you mature in the Lord.

Just hid from my mom a card showing unclean spirits (ie. ghosts) as part of her Halloween display.  She thinks they are cute.  I just see them as things that like to attack people.

I have never been attacked by ghosts or any other thing, the Lord is within me and those things have no chance. Have a nice one

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

13 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

It says in the article that the Pumpkins were ordered. I take it that there was money exchanged somhow and if so, would it have been any different to have ordered sdible pumpkins instead of these carvable pumpkins? 

No, but how many people are going to take the offer to pick up a cooking pumpkin? Would you? Have you ever cooked pumpkin from its original form?

4 minutes ago, nebula said:

No, but how many people are going to take the offer to pick up a cooking pumpkin? Would you? Have you ever cooked pumpkin from its original form?

Have they tried? How many times have you seen people reach out to the community with cookouts and community days?

Me, being a truck driver has limited the time I can spend in this, but in just a short period of time I've seen and heard of about 3-4 and that was just one church and in about a years time.

It's not about reaching out to people, politicians do that every 4 years. It is the quality of the effort and the reason that makes all the difference. You might not pass as many pumpkins through your hands, but I think that the effort in time would be far more appreciated.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,138
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings neb

Sis,you are absolutely right about there being a big difference in the pumpkins & as they say"Waste not-want not" I will share something pertainling to this that some folks may like to try.....

Many of you know that I am an artist,I've always free lanced & it seems,whenever I wanted to make some extra money for various reasons .....Oh ,FIRST....let me give God His Glory...

Deuteronomy 8:18

18 But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

Thank You,Almighty loving Heavenly Father,there is none like YOU!!!!!!HalleluyaHh!

1 Corinthians 4:7
 For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?

Okay,many years ago (many many many-lol) whenI lived in NY,I used to drive out to a pumpkin farm a few days before halloween & pick up a truckload of pump0kins(edibles)....I purchased 3 sizes-small,medium & large   At the farm they were dirt cheap,especially w4hen buying quantity but never the less they were around 25 cents for decent size 'delicious" pumpkins     I used to paint all kinds of cartoon characters on them (mostly Disney...Mickey,Minnie,Goofy,Daffy etc,,,,) The kids would go wild for them & I sold the little guys for 5 bucks,$10 & $15.....for another $2.00 they could get their kids names on them, or whatever they wanted(The Jone Family,Happy Halloween,Boo,Treats Here!)      I made a big bundle and the people enjoyed the novelty PLUS had pumpkins thatv were fantastic for baking pies!!!

Anyway,,not that everyone is an artist but with a little acrylic paint the kids could have a great time painting or you can buy stencils or just try your hand at it instead of carving up an unedible pumpkin or carving up a great pumpkin & it looks like a mess!!!! But best of all the children really enjoy getting involved & with carving,unless they are old enough & careful enough to handle a knife,they can't.......So,there's an idea that I thought someone may like to try.......

Not sure how you feel about this but my own pumpkins used to read "No tricks,,,,,,yes Treats" on the top & under the cartoon it read "praise Jesus" .....my characters had either praying hands,wings,halo's or raised hands......                        Blessings        With love in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I think sometimes people really get upset over small things.  Pumpkins are not evil, never have been.